• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which of these fast bowlers will do a....

Which of these fast bowlers will do a Anderson & Zaheer Khan

• Total voters

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad and Ishant look the best bets. Both are tall fast bowlers who on the occasions they get it right are deadly. If they gain the consistancy then both will be top class.

Why no Sami in the poll?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Only if it was so easy to predict...

Don't know if Zaheer or Anderson showed any signs of what they were likely to do in future.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Only if it was so easy to predict...

Don't know if Zaheer or Anderson showed any signs of what they were likely to do in future.
Anderson kept on threatening for couple of years he would have couple of very good games then follow it up with 2 games of awfulness it was only the summer of 2010 when he really started showing consistent results and since then he has continued.

Zaheer was more sudden he was average had a county stint came back and then suddenly he was good.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Anderson kept on threatening for couple of years he would have couple of very good games then follow it up with 2 games of awfulness it was only the summer of 2010 when he really started showing consistent results and since then he has continued.

Zaheer was more sudden he was average had a county stint came back and then suddenly he was good.
Anderson has gone to another level, since we changed bowling coaches and brought Saker in, same could be said for most of the England bowlers in that regard.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Out of those 5:

Broad - likely if he builds on the India series.
Ishant - might if he, like Zaheer, goes to County Cricket and tears up.
Gul - possible.
Edwards - possible.
Siddle - possible if he stays in the side.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Out of those 5:

Broad - likely if he builds on the India series.
Ishant - might if he, like Zaheer, goes to County Cricket and tears up.
Gul - possible.
Edwards - possible.
Siddle - possible if he stays in the side.
Definitive.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I have selected Gul because I have hope, but so far he doesn't look as if he will become great. For one thing Gul isn't an intelligent bowler. However he has improved from say 3 years ago.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
From what I am seeing Gul do in this test....he is good but needs to cut down on the senseless garbage that he starts throwing down one after another....only if he is more disciplined he could be very good.

What I really enjoyed was his ability to bring the ball back into the lefty...and also take it across.

has the variety, good yorker...nice pace...just needs to plan better.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Whats an Anderson and Zaheer Khan?
My exact first thought.

I reckon Broad is most likely if he can continue his form against India for a while then it's likely he could end up with a great record. He constantly looked threatening against India.

FBU

International Debutant
Anderson has gone to another level, since we changed bowling coaches and brought Saker in, same could be said for most of the England bowlers in that regard.
Anderson had other issues like having his bowling action changed 3 times. Playing without match practice and being an injury replacement bowler for Fletcher so he was always in and out of the team. Zaheer changed after his stint with Worcs in 2006 bowling over 600 overs.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I guess he's a bit younger, but if he can start stringing some Tests together (a combination of scheduling and injury being the issue) then I can see Southee's career having a similar trajectory. Reckon he might be a bit inconsistent over the next couple of years, but when he hits 27 or so finding a big second wind.

smash84

The Tiger King
Gul and Edwards probably lack brains (Edwards lacks fitness too)
Ishant can improve if he goes to play some stints in county cricket
Siddle is hopeless I think
Broad probably will do an Anderson

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
From what I am seeing Gul do in this test....he is good but needs to cut down on the senseless garbage that he starts throwing down one after another....only if he is more disciplined he could be very good.

What I really enjoyed was his ability to bring the ball back into the lefty...and also take it across.

has the variety, good yorker...nice pace...just needs to plan better.
AWTA!

Going out on a limb here, but I'd expect Gul to come out as the champion (relatively) among his contemporaries. Man's got the whole package and is one of the rarest commodities in Pakistan cricket - a seam bowler who prides himself in using the new ball well.

Discipline and greater consistency (more in terms of length than line, IMHO) should bring him more success.

Broad is a very promising bet, but I'm still not fully sold. Yes, he had a great series and all the raw material is there; it's just that I'd like to see more evidence of fruitification. Would't want English fans to crucify me for this, but I believe that certain factions did get somewhat carried away after his dream series against India. :) Let's just play one ball at a time, shall we?

I don't see Sharma become an incisive bowler in all conditions. He's too much pitch dependant and his complete inability to get swing in the air off a goodish length would mean that he can be made to look innocuous on more occasions than he'd like. Still think he'll play a lot of tests and could end up with a satisfactory career.

Edwards does promise a lot. Speed, an awkward angle and uncomfortable late away movement with the new ball and reverse swing with the old one. I'd ve very surprised if he doesn't improve his consistency and end up serving West Indies well. Injuries permitting, I'd expect him to drag his average down to the low 30s, which considering his expensive start and the fact that he's a strike bowler, should be a pretty good achievement.

Siddle? Lol!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Broad is a very promising bet, but I'm still not fully sold. Yes, he had a great series and all the raw material is there; it's just that I'd like to see more evidence of fruitification. Would't want English fans to crucify me for this, but I believe that certain factions did get somewhat carried away after his dream series against India. :) Let's just play one ball at a time, shall we?

Siddle? Lol!
I'd suggest that most of the overreaction over Broad comes from the same people who had (just as erroneously) written him off after the Sri Lanka series, rather than English fans in particular. People tend to take the idea that you're only as good as your last series too far.

Before the India series I thought he was a talented bowler who had had a poor start to his career, and had fallen off the track somewhat lately. Now I think he's still the same talented bowler, and has managed a promising glimmer towards consistency, but is yet to prove that. I'd say most England fans would agree.

Siddle's a good bowler. He's underrated for two reasons - firstly because of the bizarre and inherently mockable way people in the CA set up have defended him, and because he became the bowler to bowl Ricky Ponting's next weird idea time after time, whether he was the bowler for the job or not.

People forget that he's taken down some very good batting lineups in a variety of conditions, that's not to be sneezed at. And while people tend to compare his inconsistency to that of Johnson's, I've never seen him bowl as badly as MJ on a bad day.

He probably doesn't make his side's first choice Test XI at the moment, so is some way behind the others in this poll. But I don't think he should be written off.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Disagree about Southee. I think he is already a good bowler and will get much better. His time with Donald was great for him.