• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

burr

State Vice-Captain
I totally accept DRS but it does take some enjoyment out of test cricket. I can never just celebrate a wicket anymore. I'm always waiting for it to be checked for a no-ball, or an appeal to the review system. Basically that moment of pure joy when you see or hear (via radio) the raised finger is gone. All a bit depressing really.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The NFL automaticalls reviews all scoring plays. Automatically review all dismissals by the 3rd umpire, only over turning the howlers. Fielding team gets two reviews for not outs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Don't think these would happen without his blessings even now tbh.. I just think there has been a softening of the stance across the board, esp. since how things have gone this Ashes and the unexpected support that BCCI probably think they are getting from CA..

TumTum

Banned
Apart from the 3rd Umpire problem, another big issue is that DRS needs to be taken out of players hands.

Cricket should not be a game of who can use DRS the best, it is just a tool and players shouldn't have to sit down and learn how to best use it. Australian team are full of ****s and will take no time reviewing. But that is besides the point, that was not why DRS was implemented.

In this series England have been far far better at using it, but is DRS a new small game in itself or is it for getting decisions right? Seems like it is the former.

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
It is just ridiculous notion that if a team gets 2 challenges incorrectly, howlers are ALLOWED for the rest of the innings.

It is to stop teams from challenging every call and wasting time, but as you can see the overall implementation system is flawed and teams shouldn't be allowed to challenge in the first place.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like the idea of an Umpire's Call judgement not taking away a review for at team. It is not great but surely it is fairer than what it is today...

TumTum

Banned
I like the idea of an Umpire's Call judgement not taking away a review for at team. It is not great but surely it is fairer than what it is today...
I agree that would be good. The LBW system at the moment is far better than the edge/caught behind. It is clear and fair.

But what importance does Umpires Call have with the edge/caught behind decisions? This area is very blurred and totally inconsistent with the 3rd umpire. The process needs to be automated like the LBW system.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree that would be good. The LBW system at the moment is far better than the edge/caught behind. It is clear and fair.

But what importance does Umpires Call have with the edge/caught behind decisions? This area is very blurred and totally inconsistent with the 3rd umpire. The process needs to be automated like the LBW system.
How is that achieved? does hotspot become the final arbitrator that divides umpires call and overturned decisions?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It is just ridiculous notion that if a team gets 2 challenges incorrectly, howlers are ALLOWED for the rest of the innings.

It is to stop teams from challenging every call and wasting time, but as you can see the overall implementation system is flawed and teams shouldn't be allowed to challenge in the first place.
can someone please logically explain how on earth putting a mistake-correction system in the hands of the mistake-maker has any sense behind it at all? Just wait for the uproar the first time an umpire refuses to call for a review and it turns out to be wrong.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll say now and I'll say it again, umpires shouldn't be in charge of the review system, even run-outs/stumpings are often unnecessarily reviewed. And stupid commentators who say just get the 3rd ump to have a look between balls or after dismissals and tell the umps if the decision was wrong, well that doesn't work either, the same doubt over clearly out vs marginal holds up the game all the same, players have to be in charge of DRS

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don't see how the 3rd umpire jumping in won't lead to situations like we saw in the OD stuff in Australia, where batsmen who weren't out were just not walking, making sure that the 3rd umpire looks at the replay and reverses it. Much worse look than making a "T" sign at the umpire.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Of all times I can't believe it's now the BCCI are starting to take a less hard line on DRS, they really are a bizarre lot

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Did we not used to get 3 referrals an innings or have I made that up?

Boils my piss when people say 'take it out of the hands of the players' - surely in situations where the batsman is obviously not out (Cook given caught off his shoulder at Adelaide) or the fielding side can see that the umpire has made an obvious mistake (Clarke at Adelaide, Broad at Trent Bridge) then it's the players that are best placed to make the decision.

Put the system in the hands of the umpires and the following 2 things will happen:

1. Umpires will refer everything to the 3rd umpire every single time the fielding side appeals
2. Batsmen won't walk in instances where the umpire has backed his own judgement and given him out.

Neither scenario is good for cricket. Despite a couple of special moments this game umpires generally don't do a bad job. The last thing we need is a system that effectively means we can do without an on field umpire or a system that encourages dissent.