• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Panesar wrong? Or Flower overreacting?

Spark

Global Moderator
Can only do more harm than good from an England POV, so I can see why he did it. Stickler for detail, that man.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There isnt really a right or wrong to this. Some will see it as a non-event and others will see it as a disgrace. Both are possibly correct.

Panesar is part of the 27-man England Performance Squad for the summer and the idea of him helping an opponent and 'idolising' an opposing player is both selfish and against the team ethic.

On the other hand, he is just having a bowl and cricket has had generations of opposing players working with each other.

Personally, I think it is a bad idea but not a big deal.

Jacknife

International Captain
I think Panesar was there to bowl at the England batman, as he's part of the England performance squad and he shouldn't be doing any of the Indian batsmen favors.
Like Goughy says it's not too much of a big deal and hardly worth writing a story about.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
the thing is there has been some of talk about the indians not pitching up fully prepared and hence selling the fans and spectators short in terms of providing a enough competition/spectacle. in light of that it perhaps could be seen as a good thing? or from the viewpoint of england beating the best (and most prepared) that india have to offer and then saying, "we really are better than u, and no excuses, please!"

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes, I want to beat the best India have to offer but England players shouldn't help them prepare because they've choice to come in undercooked.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Non-issue of the day. Always laugh at these headlines.

“He did bowl to him in the nets before Lord’s and I think that it is quite a naïve thing to do,” Flower said on, following his team’s 196-run victory over India the previous evening.
“I haven’t spoken to him yet but one would hope he understands that it won’t happen again.”
Flower's practically seething with rage, isn't he?

So yeah, no big deal, but we'd rather he didn't.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think it's mildly brainless of Monty (would've been the equivalent of Hauritz bowling to KP in the nets in Oz), but as I don't think anyone in our XI is even capable of bowling SLA (maybe Strauss? Suspect his nominal style is LM tho) I can't see how it helps Sachin massively.

Himannv

International Coach
Such a big non issue.

Heck Panasar might even improve as a spinner with the experience of bowling to such a great batsman. Its unlikely to be something Tendulkar has never seen before over a 20 year career.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Non-issue of the day. Always laugh at these headlines.

Flower's practically seething with rage, isn't he?

So yeah, no big deal, but we'd rather he didn't.
for a man not given to verbal pyrotechnics and generally known and admired for considered reflection, i am not sure that he is actually not rather annoyed, even if not actually seething. this was a very public rebuke, no matter how mild the words. assuming, of course, that he has been quoted properly, and not set up....

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's mildly brainless of Monty (would've been the equivalent of Hauritz bowling to KP in the nets in Oz), but as I don't think anyone in our XI is even capable of bowling SLA (maybe Strauss? Suspect his nominal style is LM tho) I can't see how it helps Sachin massively.
Chinaman, I think. Brought out some of his filth in a warm up game in Aus. Think he took a wicket, too, WAG.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Haha, that was great. Brought himself on for some declaration bowling and when one hit the pads he couldn't resist appealing.

Himannv

International Coach
As much as I love Flower, if he did indeed have an issue with this, he is definitely being a buffoon. Over the top.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Hey Dunc - in case Sachin turns his arm over later can we borrow Mishra for an hour mate?"

Can't see it myself - Monty needs his card marked