• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Panesar wrong? Or Flower overreacting?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Once Swann hurt his hand (he's fine from waht I've read anyway) the first thing I thought of is that Panesar may play in the series. That to me means Flower is probably right.

Surely all of this could have been handled behind closed doors though?
If (god forbid, etc) Swann does miss out (word on Sky was "no major damage, but reassessed in the morning") and Monty was overlooked for Rashid or Borthwick the tinfoil hat brigade will have a field day now.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Speaking of tinfoil hat brigade. I noticed shivfan referred to this as 'yet another anti-Panesar comment from the media'. Did I miss something? Do the media have it in for Monty?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Speaking of tinfoil hat brigade. I noticed shivfan referred to this as 'yet another anti-Panesar comment from the media'. Did I miss something? Do the media have it in for Monty?
Not so as I've noticed. There's occasionally a vaguely condescending air from some quarters when he's less than utterly **** with bat and/or in the field and some of the more considered writers (Vic Marks for one) aren't impressed with his cricket smarts, but Monty's never been a whipping boy like (say) Bell or Prior have been at various times in their careers.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Getting a Leggie to make his debut against India won't be the wisest thing to do, tbf.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Getting a Leggie to make his debut against India won't be the wisest thing to do, tbf.
Probably true and doubt it would happen, but both Rashid and Borthwick can bat too (the latter just made his maiden FC ton versus the touring SL "A" side), so there would be solid cricketing reasons to select either ahead of Monty (I wouldn't, ftr), but, as I alluded to, there's a distinct possibility certain quarters wouldn't see it like that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not so as I've noticed. There's occasionally a vaguely condescending air from some quarters when he's less than utterly **** with bat and/or in the field and some of the more considered writers (Vic Marks for one) aren't impressed with his cricket smarts, but Monty's never been a whipping boy like (say) Bell or Prior have been at various times in their careers.
Yeah, that's what I thought.

Most unlike shivfan to make such a remark.

shivfan

Banned
The difference is Panesar is part of the England Performance squad and his job, apart from being back up to Swann, who has now maybe broken his hand, is to bowl at the England batsmen, that's what he's being paid to do while he's at the ground.
Big deal! Cotterrell was in the West Indies squad for their 20/20 match against Pakistan, and the WICB had no issues with him bowling to Indian batsmen. When was the last time Panesar was in an England squad?

Sometimes I think that England are losing touch with what the spirit of cricket is all about. If the WICB had reprimanded Cotterrell the way Flower treated Monty, I would've been most upset with them. Thankfully, there's at least one thing the WICB can do right....
:dry:

shivfan

Banned
Well, from what I've seen in certain elements of the English press, I'd say yes, and I'm a neutral, i.e. West Indies fan. Let me remind you that Monty is not of Caribbean origin, so I have no particular loyalty to him, as I do to Michael Carberry, whom I feel was shabbily treated a year or two ago. The Sun wasn't the only one to call Monty a 'fool', which they would never do to the more cherished members of the England side.

Here is another unnecessary anti-Monty article:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/columnists/michaelcalvin/2009/03/14/the-fool-monty-115875-21197796/

And do I need to go into the gleeful coverage provided in the English press about the old story of police intervention in a domestic dispute involving Monty? The incident happened in January, but the media came out with the story in June, even though by the time the media heard about it, it was old news.

Monty was a cult hero when he was on the top of his game, but when he went into decline, some aspects of the media couldn't help taking pot-shots at him....

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Big deal! Cotterrell was in the West Indies squad for their 20/20 match against Pakistan, and the WICB had no issues with him bowling to Indian batsmen. When was the last time Panesar was in an England squad?

Sometimes I think that England are losing touch with what the spirit of cricket is all about. If the WICB had reprimanded Cotterrell the way Flower treated Monty, I would've been most upset with them. Thankfully, there's at least one thing the WICB can do right....
He was last in an England squad two series ago...for the Ashes. He's also in the Performance Squad, as many have noted, and is our second choice spinner.

Well, from what I've seen in certain elements of the English press, I'd say yes, and I'm a neutral, i.e. West Indies fan. Let me remind you that Monty is not of Caribbean origin, so I have no particular loyalty to him, as I do to Michael Carberry, whom I feel was shabbily treated a year or two ago.
Examples please.

Jacknife

International Captain

As GIMH as said he was in the Ashes squad as back up to Swann which is 2 series ago.
Your comparison is still LOL, Panesar would almost certainly play the next test if Swann gets injured, how is that similar to what you've put. Just because you don't agree with Flower, England are losing the Spirit of cricket,:blink: care to give some more examples of this.

Last edited: