• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Waugh vs Damien Martyn

Who was the better player?

• Total voters

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Mark Waugh's top 5 test innings VS Martyn's?

list.....

Waugh-

1 Port Elizabeth 97
2 Jamaica 95
3 Bangalore 98
4 Adelaide 91
5 Adelaide 98

Martyn

1 Chennai 2004
2 Kandy 2004
3 Melbourne 2004
4 Melbourne 1992
5 Joburg 2006

R_D

International Debutant
Very close one... Two batsman I enjoyed watching bat :)

Mark Waugh for me.. had a longer career and played some good innings against good attacks and made batting look so effortless.. Amazing batsman.

Spark

Global Moderator
One of the few batsmen I have seen able to forward defense a ball through cover for four.

Briony

International Debutant
Marto by a hair. WAG. :wub: Will agree that the difference in averages is not an indicator of how close it is, Waugh must have faced some seriously good WI attacks early in his career.

Ambrose was still there, and he struggled mightily against him but he missed the Windies at their peak, having debuted in the early 90s. Apart from one or two knocks, he tended to fold when the pressure was on and played too far away from his body. Despite people saying he looked bored and so used to go out, Waugh was on record several times declaring his aime to average fifty in test cricket. History shows he wasn't good enough. For most of his career his average hovered between forty and forty-four which seemed to suggest that was about where he belonged. And that was in an era when the best players averaged fifty plus.

Greg Chappell was way more elegant than him btw and a much better player. Gower was also more elegant IMHO.

Analyst1

Cricket Spectator

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Do you really have to have Dravid as the most overrated player of all time in your sig? I mean it's just unbelievably wrong.