• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's ODI team

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah he'd have to definitely cool off.

Could Morgan ever captain the ODI and T20 team, and let Strauss (and then Cook) captain the test team?

Howe_zat

Audio File
This strikes me as very left-field. Even if you could see some tactical acumen in Broad, and get past his discipline issues, the chances of England appointing a young fast bowler as captain isn't something I can see happening.

Yeah he'd have to definitely cool off.

Could Morgan ever captain the ODI and T20 team, and let Strauss (and then Cook) captain the test team?
This I could see working. Morgan definately strikes me as a man with assurance on field, and he has captained Ireland at youth level. In the under-19s world cup a few years back, when he was first getting attention, he captained the side and was the second highest run-scorer.

I'm still not prepared to give up on Strauss as an ODI batsman though, I think he'd be a big loss.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can see the point with Broad but as long as he wants to I see no reason for Strauss to stop being one day captain for now. Quite a few of the players in the world cup squad should probably never play an ODI again bur he is not one of them, replacing him with Cook would be especially pointless.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
From the squad that played, I'd only say definitely never play again to Yardy (who has far more important things on his mind), Tredwell and Prior. If Collingwood can regain his form, he should return - the rest should be around the squad as there isn't actually that many better options.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Now that would be interesting. Can he keep his temper in check?
To be fair Nasser was seen as a similarly strop-prone enfant terrible when he got the gig and that worked out pretty well for us. Proved himself to be our best captain since Brearley, damning with faint praise as that is.

Woodster

International Captain
To be fair Nasser was seen as a similarly strop-prone enfant terrible when he got the gig and that worked out pretty well for us. Proved himself to be our best captain since Brearley, damning with faint praise as that is.
Nasser was just the right type of person/captain that we needed at that time. I agree how well he did, and also that he probably left at the right time aswell, he had taken us as far as he probably could. Whether we need a Broad-style character now, I don't know. I see Broad and Nasser as different characters though, Nasser had undoubted passion and fire, aswell as a tactically smart cricket brain, while Broad at his age I would suggest is more petulant, but may just be a younger Nass.

Not sure of Broad's cricketing acumen personally.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can see the point with Broad but as long as he wants to I see no reason for Strauss to stop being one day captain for now. Quite a few of the players in the world cup squad should probably never play an ODI again bur he is not one of them, replacing him with Cook would be especially pointless.
We've had instability in personel in our top order ever since Trescothick retired, binning Strauss when he's been the only stable part of our top order would be insane.

FBU

International Debutant
We've had instability in personel in our top order ever since Trescothick retired, binning Strauss when he's been the only stable part of our top order would be insane.
I'd keep Strauss as captain for another two years while we have someone learning the job and then they could have two years before the next World Cup. For the next series announce a vice-captain.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah I agree. I'm all for building for the next WC but at the end of the day these things should be done transitionally.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes I would like Strauss to carry on, he's turned himself into a quality one day opener and tbh I'd like to see him open with KP during the summer, liked the look of it and I thinks it's got potential. Even though they only played the 4 games together, they averaged 68, which to say KP had never opened before wasn't bad.
We've got 4 years till the next WC, so there's no need for anything drastic, we just need to identify, some young exciting players, that will be able to fill the roles we need and gradually introduce them to international cricket.

tooextracool

International Coach
Time to move on from KP Im afraid. As Ive said before and will continue to say again, the only way back for him to the ODI side is through consistent run scoring in List A/domestic cricket.

I certainly hope that we've seen the last of the likes of Bell, Prior, Yardy, Tredwell, Bopara and Tremlett in ODI cricket. Im ambivalent about Strauss. Hes done ok, but hes not going to make it to the next world cup so I think him being in the side could result in time lost towards ushering a new captain into the side.

As far as Broad being captain is concerned, that is an interesting enough idea. However, the days of fast bowlers being captains while playing all 3 formats of the game are numbered. Broad is fit to play for England about as often as he is unfit, and hes not even 25. I would suggest that Swann should be made captain for both formats, probably the best option available with Morgan a close second.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's all well and good permanently dumping so many players TEC, but who is there to come in and replace them? The cupboard isn't exactly bare, but it's not exactly overflowing.

As for Broad, since his debut in each format he's played 34 of 42 Tests, 76 out of 121 ODI's and 29 out of 36 T20s. When you consider that 11 of the ODI's he missed have been this year, and he only played in 6 out of the first 27 games, it's hardly "as fit about as often as he's unfit"

tooextracool

International Coach
No he hasnt missed that many games, but the point still stands. Fast bowlers simply dont have the same kind of fitness records as batsmen and its pointless to have a player as captain if the Vice captain is going to have to take over many a time.

As far as who are the replacements are, a quick glance at the domestic competition tables would suggest that any of Jos Buttler, James Hildreth,Jimmy Adams, Craig Kieswetter, James Taylor, David Payne and George Dockrell could step in as replacements. Its easy to sit down and take the conservative route and say that there are no replacements, there are no replacements only when no one is given a chance. Players like Bell and Bopara have been given 2 world cups and have been dismal failures for both of them. To give them another is really disrespecting the point of having a domestic cricket system in place.

AFAIC, looking at a future squad, the nucleus of the bowling would still be the same. Bresnan, Broad, Anderson, Swann, Shahzad isnt a bad lineup at all. Throw in Onions, Dockrell/Rashid and perhaps Woakes and someone else young like Payne and there is enough potential there. The batting is what needs drastic changes but the likes of Trott and Morgan provide enough stability to be able to bring changes around.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No he hasnt missed that many games, but the point still stands. Fast bowlers simply dont have the same kind of fitness records as batsmen and its pointless to have a player as captain if the Vice captain is going to have to take over many a time.

As far as who are the replacements are, a quick glance at the domestic competition tables would suggest that any of Jos Buttler, James Hildreth,Jimmy Adams, Craig Kieswetter, James Taylor, David Payne and George Dockrell could step in as replacements. Its easy to sit down and take the conservative route and say that there are no replacements, there are no replacements only when no one is given a chance. Players like Bell and Bopara have been given 2 world cups and have been dismal failures for both of them. To give them another is really disrespecting the point of having a domestic cricket system in place.

AFAIC, looking at a future squad, the nucleus of the bowling would still be the same. Bresnan, Broad, Anderson, Swann, Shahzad isnt a bad lineup at all. Throw in Onions, Dockrell/Rashid and perhaps Woakes and someone else young like Payne and there is enough potential there. The batting is what needs drastic changes but the likes of Trott and Morgan provide enough stability to be able to bring changes around.
Agree with you totally, have four years to give some new guys chances, and BTW rest some of our key Test Players. If the new guys fail, we can always go back to the mediocrity. Other names I'd like considered are obviously Davies, and Hales, Allenby, Samit Patel, Dawson.

Do actually think our stocks are very low in decent pace-bowling ODI players though, not sure who to bring in. Your right that bowling line-up looks good, but what happens when injury hits.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We need to rotate our players more as well. Tredwell has what, 5 ODI caps? Yet he played in our two most important WC games. Any player featuring in a WC should have much more experience than that, wherever possible.