• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5 least influential Cricketers of all time

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Might be just me, but his bat actually sounded so great, the ball seemed to just ping off it and make the nicest sound when he drove and cut.

archie mac

International Coach
Might be just me, but his bat actually sounded so great, the ball seemed to just ping off it and make the nicest sound when he drove and cut.
Yeah did sound nice, but I imagine even the stroke he was caught off, would go 30 rows back with a modern bat:)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ramprakash
Gatting
Sherwin Campbell
Alistair Campbell

One who played 31 times between 80-89 who deserves a mention and special consideration is Chris Tavare.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Garth McKenzie is now often and harshly overlooked principally because he was preceded by Lindwall and Miller and succeeded by Lillee & Thomson.

Ken Rutherford played a lot of tests without ever fulfilling his promise.

Larry Gomes another player with a lengthy career rarely mentioned nowadays.

Iqbal Qasim
took lots of wickets for Pakistan but also hardly rates discussion.

& an Essex legend but
Keith Fletcher
came up short versus the Aussies and his spell as England coach only noteworthy for its brevity.

Noble One

Two West Indies keepers in Jacobs and Ramdin (to be fair only played 42 Tests though, and career not quite finished).

Two wicketkeeper batsman who both are very unremarkable. Not great with the gloves but not horrible. Not great with the bat but better than tail-ender status. Not overly attacking but not stonewallers. Just two completely middle of the road cricketers who will hardly be remembered in 30 years time.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brett Lee. 300+ Test wickets but only one good series against an opponent who actually mattered and until that series, always seemed to be in the side for what he could possibly do. Got an average built on bullying two teams, tbh.

Last edited:

robelinda

Yeah Brett Lee for sure. I can think of only 2 series where he was really good against good opposition batsman, against SA in 05/06, and India 07/08. The rest of his decent series were against pathetic batting sides, or against sides who cant bat in Australia. Brett's overseas record is very average, and was very much in the side for what he could do but so very rarely did do at test level. His debut 2 tests vs India were impressive too.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Think that's a little harsh on Lee myself. Whilst I certainly agree that he had a rather average test career, I personally believe he's one of Australia's finest ever limited overs players.
I know people tend to only consider tests for these matters but I think that's unfair. Also given the sheer speed he was able to bowl at I just don't see him as an un-influential cricketer