• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best all time XI for each country

Howe_zat

Audio File
Soz i know its boring but just had to put my England ODI one in whilst thinking about it:

Knight
Trescothick
Pietersen
Lamb
Collingwood
Flintoff
Stewart (wk)
Botham
Emburey
Gough
Anderson

Didn't really want to pick a spinner but yerknow.
Could easily argue that Swann is already the best ever England ODI spinner.

But then, we are talking best of about what, four?

Would have Gooch in as captain over Knight. Also, no room for Fairbrother? Not sure who he'd replace, perhaps Lamb.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Bengal (West Bengal + Bangladesh) XI:

Tamim Iqbal
Pankaj Roy
Arun Lal
Saurav Ganguly*
Ashok Malhotra
Shakib Al Hasan
Wriddhiman Saha+
Mashrafe Mortaza
Utpal Chatterjee
Asok Dinda
Ranadeb Bose

Don't know much about the cricket in Bangladesh in the 70s and the 80s, though.

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant

Tamim Iqbal
Pankaj Roy
Arun Lal
Saurav Ganguly*
Ashok Malhotra
Shakib Al Hasan
Wriddhiman Saha+
Mashrafe Mortaza
Utpal Chatterjee
Asok Dinda
Ranadeb Bose
Two different countries ffs.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Two different countries ffs.
I know. But this thread has deviated a lot (people have started making their M-Team and S-Team and what not). Plus we speak the same language (Bengali), and we used to be the same state (forget country) before 1949. So, I thought giving this a try...a fun exercise afterall...

Last edited:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Could easily argue that Swann is already the best ever England ODI spinner.

But then, we are talking best of about what, four?

Would have Gooch in as captain over Knight. Also, no room for Fairbrother? Not sure who he'd replace, perhaps Lamb.
Yeah, I felt reluctant to put Swann in just yet but in a year or so he'll easily be our best spinner (especially after he wins us the world cup).

Knight was a better one day player than Gooch, but if you're taking captaincy into account then he gets in. I know he never actually captained us (for any string of games, at least) but I reckon Trescothick could be captain - certainly the right material for it.

I did forget about Fairbrother, actually. Can't get rid of Colly, being our record capmaker, runscorer, superb fielder, important innings-maker, so yeah i guess you could replace Lamb.

Dissector

International Debutant
The best team combining two letters is perhaps the HM team

Hobbs
Hutton
Headley
Hammond
Miandad
Miller
Marsh (wk)
Hadlee
Marshall
Murali
McGrath

Reckon it would stand a decent chance against a team from the remaining 24 letters put together.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Tamim Iqbal
Pankaj Roy
Arun Lal
Saurav Ganguly*
Ashok Malhotra
Shakib Al Hasan
Wriddhiman Saha+
Mashrafe Mortaza
Utpal Chatterjee
Asok Dinda
Ranadeb Bose

Don't know much about the cricket in Bangladesh in the 70s and the 80s, though.
This got me thinking - I was going to try and do a team of Pakistani Test players who were born in the the old East wing of the country (now Bangladesh) - I soon gave up as I couldn't find a single one - are there any?

Howe_zat

Audio File
This got me thinking - I was going to try and do a team of Pakistani Test players who were born in the the old East wing of the country (now Bangladesh) - I soon gave up as I couldn't find a single one - are there any?
Anyone feel like a nice can of worms?

Blaze 18

Banned

As far as I know, only one East Pakistani has represented Pakistan in cricket. I forgot his name though, the Pakistani fans here would know.

stumpski

International Captain
Although you'd probably have to make some fairly obscure choices to make up the numbers, an XI of players born outside the Test countries might be fun to put together. Off the top of my head I can think of three or four very good players. I have in mind too that Pakistan have recently fielded a bowler born in Kuwait.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've been through Kim Baloch's Encyclopaedia of Pakistan cricket which contains a biography of every Pakistani Test player up until 2004 and there is no one - the other possibility is that an East Bengali played for All India pre '47 - I'll leave that one till tomorrow

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
India

Gavaskar
Sehwag

Dravid
Tendulkar
VVS Laxman

Kapil Dev (All rounder)

Dhoni (wk) (C)

Kumble
Zaheer
Javagal Srinath
Bedi

This team is a very sad reflection of how poor india have been historically as they have a heavy concentration of greats post 1990!

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Pakistan

Saeed Anwar
Hanif Mohammed

Inzamaam
Javed Miandad
Zaheer Abbas
Mohd Yousuf

Imran Khan (All Rounder) (Captain)

Moin Khan (Wk)

Wasim
Waqar
Abdul Qadir

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Australia

Hayden (first modern aussie to dominate indian spinners on dustbowls!)
M Taylor

Bradman
R Ponting
G Chappell
Border (Captain)

K Miller (All Rounder)

Gilchrist (wk)

Warne
Lillee
Mcgrath

Many Aussies may criticise and say i given way too much emphasis on the modern players but to me that is not that surprising as the majority of those players comprised the team that dominated world cricket in 1990s to 2007...although bradman's team were strong, international cricket was not as international then as it is now.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
do doo doo do

Central Districts All Time XI

Mark Greatbatch
Andrew Jones
Martin Crowe
Mathew Sinclair
Jesse Ryder
Jacob Oram
Ian Smith+
Harry Cave
Richard Collinge
Michael Mason

I tried to stick to CD homegrown players, but everyone knows Crowe, Jones, Collinge etc preffered CD the most of all the teams they played for.:ph34r:
Roger Twose says hi

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
West Indies

Gordon Greenidge
Chris Gayle

Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Clive Lloyd

Gary Sobers (All rounder) (Captain) (Spinner)

Jeffrey Dujon (wk)

Marshall
Holding
Roberts
Ambrose

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Merchant
Kirmani
Kapil Dev
Zaheer Khan
Amer Singh
Gupte
Bedi

Should win every Test in India. Can substitute a batsman for Bedi overseas.