Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And i saw bradman play....

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    respects, sir! it is an honor to interact with you and mr. sjs on this forum.
    ditto
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Hi JB, I always thought you saw the Don in the 1950s, hadn't realised you were there for the 36-7 series, respect is due, obv. My Dad saw him in '48 I think.

Mahjong Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Hi JB, I always thought you saw the Don in the 1950s, hadn't realised you were there for the 36-7 series, respect is due, obv. My Dad saw him in '48 I think.
    Stump, I stated I was at the '36 Test match and I was but being just a wee bairn did not see him play until 46/47 series after WW2
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Think I speak for most people here when I say that I'm incredibly envious of you.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    Stump, I stated I was at the '36 Test match and I was but being just a wee bairn did not see him play until 46/47 series after WW2
    Was it in Brisbane mate? Be epic if you saw the Ikin incident.

Clearly a bump ball ftr.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Mahjong Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Was it in Brisbane mate? Be epic if you saw the Ikin incident.

Clearly a bump ball ftr.
    The catch that wasn't a catch!

Mahjong Champion!
    Further to my post above stump, I last saw Bradman play in 1954 in a Testimonial Match for Bill Brown or Lindsay Hassett(memory eludes me which). He scored 18 in the first innings and 80 odd in the second. Tilly's old man (Ken Archer) played in that game and his old man has one of the original programmes from that game

I'm turning green here mate...

... and baggy?

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    ... and baggy?
    Thats a tad personal mate!

Mahjong Champion!
    There is no need to feel that way mate. I was fortunate to grow up in an era of NO television. Only had the wireless to listen to Allan Mcgilvray call the cricket if we were not there. I count myself fortunate to have played in a time when most of the Aussie players also had to work because there was not enough money to be earned from the game. Hence, my first coach was Wally Grout. I have played Grade with the likes of Ken Mackay, Your namesake, and still count among my friends Jeff Thompson and Wesley Hall who I played both with and against at Grade level. I have played on the SCG and the Gabba in a "second" QLD 11 but was never good enough to go beyond that. Gave the game away at 42 because after an early heart attack found that off drives had become late cuts and the guys were bowling too fast. Played a bit of "Warehouse" after that and coached the NT side to the finals of NT Country Cricket week. I have seen some great players and never missed a Test at The Gabba until Rheumatoid reared it ugly head and even then 2 of my boys organised me to go to the First Test of the last Ashes series but now I am relegated to "armchair umpire" and I am told I am a very severe critic. I suppose that comes with the age. I was present at all the days play of the Tied Test between the Aussies and the West Indies. That was probably my most memorable days of the Cricket. That, and I realise it only now was "watching Bradman play"

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    I read somewhere a long time ago that Keith Miller and Jack Irkin had an altercation a few years later over the bump ball incident?
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

JBMAC, can I ask... who are the players of the last 15-20 years that stand out for you, when compared to players in previous eras you've watched.

Who are the batsman in your opinion that can be compared to Viv, Chappell, Sobers etc. Who are the bowlers that have the right to be put alongside Lillee, Marshall, Hadlee?

Guess I'm asking, we've had a lot of good players in the last few years, but who are the cream in your opinion, when comparing them to the cream you watched in previous years.
    Last edited by Jono; 10-10-2010 at 08:01 PM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Mahjong Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    JCMAC, can I ask... who are the players of the last 15-20 years that stand out for you, when compared to players in previous eras you've watched.

Who are the batsman in your opinion that can be compared to Viv, Chappell, Sobers etc.[Who are the bowlers that have the right to be put alongside Lillee, Marshall, Hadlee?

Guess I'm asking, we've had a lot of good players in the last few years, but who are the cream in your opinion, when comparing them to the cream you watched in previous years.
    Batsmen: Tendulkar,Ponting,Jayasuria,Kallis,Cook(though he has never reached his potential)Laxman and Sehwag

Bowlers: McGrath, Warne.Imran,Akram,Shoab Malik,Broad(another Englishman yet to reach his potential)Steyn,Donald

Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    There is no need to feel that way mate. I was fortunate to grow up in an era of NO television. Only had the wireless to listen to Allan Mcgilvray call the cricket if we were not there. I count myself fortunate to have played in a time when most of the Aussie players also had to work because there was not enough money to be earned from the game. Hence, my first coach was Wally Grout. I have played Grade with the likes of Ken Mackay, Your namesake, and still count among my friends Jeff Thompson and Wesley Hall who I played both with and against at Grade level. I have played on the SCG and the Gabba in a "second" QLD 11 but was never good enough to go beyond that. Gave the game away at 42 because after an early heart attack found that off drives had become late cuts and the guys were bowling too fast. Played a bit of "Warehouse" after that and coached the NT side to the finals of NT Country Cricket week. I have seen some great players and never missed a Test at The Gabba until Rheumatoid reared it ugly head and even then 2 of my boys organised me to go to the First Test of the last Ashes series but now I am relegated to "armchair umpire" and I am told I am a very severe critic. I suppose that comes with the age. I was present at all the days play of the Tied Test between the Aussies and the West Indies. That was probably my most memorable days of the Cricket. That, and I realise it only now was "watching Bradman play"
    Can't even imagine anyone else coming up with anecdotes that could evoke as much warmth as your post above does.

One of my favorite stories from a biography on Bradman was Bill O Reilly and Bradman playing against each other for the first time. Don scores 232 over the whole day and remains not out destroying in the process Tiger's self confidence. Tiger spends a whole week contemplating a life away from cricket. Match continues the next Saturday and O Reilly bowls Bradman with the first ball. And according to Bill O Reilly the sky cleared up, birds chirped and life was good again.

Did you ever see Tiger bowl at Bradman?
    Last edited by bagapath; 10-10-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information