• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Auction draft II - ODI

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Must say, the people pickung up the cheap rubbish now are the one's in most danger of ending up with more than 2 of that sort in their side.

As are the one's who've spent big...
No I won't, marc. I'm pretty confident about my strategy. Let's see. :)

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Doesn't it make sense to spend big now and go cheap later, than the other way round though? Might as well go full throttle at the start when all the best players are being nominated.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't it make sense to spend big now and go cheap later, than the other way round though? Might as well go full throttle at the start when all the best players are being nominated.
No, it doesn't. This (the middle rounds) is the right time for me to pick up the dirt. I'll explain the reason later to you. :)

And by the way, if by 'spending big' you mean 'getting great players' then I must admit that I've done the same in the first 5 rounds without spending big. Pollock and Jayasuriya are all-time champion ODI players. Kumble is a master spinner. Boucher is a master keeper and pretty useful with the bat. Kirsten is a great opener, makes him even more valuable when he has someone like Jayasuriya opening with him. And I have spent about $ 6.5 mn for the 5 of them combined. How about that?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd have to say that of the 5 you've named, there's IMO only 1 true ODI all-time star, 1 ODI great, 1 from the tier below that and a couple from the tier below that.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'd have to say that of the 5 you've named, there's IMO only 1 true ODI all-time star, 1 ODI great, 1 from the tier below that and a couple from the tier below that.
Have I claimed anything different (except for Jayasuriya)? Yes, Sanath might not be called a true all-time star, and should rather be called a great ODI player (though his bowling skills make him one among the many contenders to be the opening partner of Sachin in an all-time ODI side). I stand corrected on that.

About Boucher, I claimed that he's a master wicketkeeper (his wicketkeeping skills are indeed top-notch among other ODI wicketkeeper-batsmen, even you would admit that) and pretty useful with the bat. I did not claim that he's an all-time star or something. So, basically we are thinking on the same lines here.

Kumble is not an all-time star ODI player. But solely as a ODI spin bowler, I can't think of anyone other than Murali, Saqlain and Warne who can be unarguably called better than Kumble. Yes, his batting and fielding are bit of a worry; but I won't need much of his contribution with the bat. Doesn't this make him a valuable player?

About Kirsten, you are right and so am I. He averages more than 40 with a pretty decent strike rate. He's not at all a defensive batsman. He's the kind of batsman who'll keep things solid, and yet keep on rotating the strike and won't spare loose deliveries. He's even more useful when he has a hard-hitting batsman like Jayasuriya on the other side. And keep in mind, Kirsten is most likely going to be the weakest player among my XI. Now, probably you can guess the kind of team I'm going to make. :)

Don't take things in isolation. Look at the balance that I'm building in my team, a team with only good, great and all-time great players in it. Balance is such a key word in a ODI team. Perhaps this will be clearer after a few more rounds. Perhaps then you'll realise the potency of my strategy.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Everyone's got one or two players who aren't great. I think Noble One has a fairly good team so far and I dont think he's spent too much either. Somerset's team would be the best except for the cost factor.

I think Cevno has a decent amount of money remaining and a decent team as well although I'm not that convinced by Amarnath as he is lol.

Pothas would have a pretty good team except for Patel.
Think Patel is ok as a second spinner who will hopefully not start.

Think a lot depends on who people are nominating, there have been lot of poor players in each round, if that continues then we are all bound to wind up with a fair number of them. Not that I am complaining, makes it a little more interesting.

Pothas

:laugh: weldone

Someone taking things a little bit too seriously I feel.

But I will obviously bow down to your master strategy when it is all over.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Think a lot depends on who people are nominating, there have been lot of poor players in each round, if that continues then we are all bound to wind up with a fair number of them. Not that I am complaining, makes it a little more interesting.
Exactly. And what makes it even more interesting is the fact that people can't keep on nominating trash players as they will have to keep the composition of their own teams in mind. Hence, there is an embedded self-check in the system itself. What makes it immensely interesting is how people try to screw up the composition of other sides while keeping their own teams in tact.

This one (and the test auction one) is easily the best draft thread among the ones I've followed or participated.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Also, have to remember that I have complete carte blanche over who I pick in times of trouble - depends what mood I'm in as to who I pick...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol.. certainly got guys who take this thing waaaaay too seriously.. I thought the ones nominating the duds were taking it serious, but weldone has taken it to another level. :)

I don't think I am a master at either nominating duds or avoiding them.. So I m juz happy I have still got a team that will do well in most conditions and, more importantly, most sims.. ;)

As for the duds I ve got, Strang is def. worth what I paid him (and probably more, tbh) but perhaps I could have gotten Price for a LOT lesser than what I did. It would be interesting to hear if that is indeed the case from Marc.. It will be fun when he finally reveals what went on and how much was bid after each round.

I think you should simply post your spreadsheet as an attachment, Marc.. At the end of it all.. :)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Also, have to remember that I have complete carte blanche over who I pick in times of trouble - depends what mood I'm in as to who I pick...
lol...I wish my spreadsheet could factor in your mood as one of the inputs :P

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Graeme Smith (149 ODI, 5613 Runs @ 40.67)
2. Stephen Fleming (280 ODI, 8037 Runs @ 32.40)
6. Brendan McCullum (171 ODI, 3569 Runs @ 29.01, 189 Ctch, 13 Stmp)
7. Lance Klusener (171 ODI, 3576 Runs @ 41.10, 192 Wickets @ 29.95)
8. Imran Khan (175 ODI, 3709 Runs @ 33.41, 182 Wickets @ 26.61)

9. Ian Harvey (73 ODI, 715 Runs @ 17.87, 85 Wickets @ 30.31)

This is an excellent lower middle order. But, won't you have Klusener bat above McCullum?

Harvey is the weak one there, I hope you are looking to have him as a reserve. Also, a slightly more attacking opener than Fleming would have been perfect to open with Smith. Still, that opening combination looks decent.

Would be interesting to have an idea about your balance left. I guess you have spent a bit too much behind that excellent lower middle order. But very good side so far (except Harvey).

Joe and Himanv too have great sides so far (if they can manage to keep Harper and Robin outside the XI, respectively). But I guess, they are poorer than you by now.

Himannv

International Coach
They only two players Noble One could possibly have spent a huge amount for are Klusener and Khan. All the others are well within an acceptable price range I reckon. Agree that Harvey isn't the best but I think he's in pole position to build a really top notch side if he continues to be wise with his bids.

Pothas

1.Adam Gilchrist
4.Mohammed Yousuf
7.Ian Botham
10.Shane Bond
11.Michael Holding

12. D. Patel

Pretty happy with this so far.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I am going out of station on thursday ,so will probably miss the next round.

Marc can you please mail me the list of players nominated tomorrow ,so i can bid on them or can you push the deadline for the next round back to tuesday as i will be back on monday,if everyone is fine with it?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1.Adam Gilchrist
4.Mohammed Yousuf
7.Ian Botham
10.Shane Bond
11.Michael Holding

12. D. Patel

Pretty happy with this so far.
Without considering the cash balances, that's the best team so far. Better than Noble One's, Joe's, Himanv's and mine. No mediocres in the playing XI, and excellent balance. It'll be interesting to see whether you can continue this till the end.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I am going out of station on thursday ,so will probably miss the next round.

Marc can you please mail me the list of players nominated tomorrow ,so i can bid on them or can you push the deadline for the next round back to tuesday as i will be back on monday,if everyone is fine with it?
The list won't be up till Thursday evening.

As I'm away for the weekend I wasn't planning on closing the next round till Monday but since you've given me warning and we've had a great run of full submission to date, I'm happy to delay it a day till Tuesday.

That goes for everyone else - if you're away, please give warning and I can try to fit the draft around you (within reason).