• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Swann in drink drive arrest

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bollox, the bloke has traded off a good-bloke image, now he's been found guilty of a fairly crap crime, which could lead to deaths.

Can't believe people on this thread dismissing it an harmless indiscretion, like wot happened in the good ole days. Its reprehensible, IMHO8-)
Yeah, most people who get caught drink driving are thought of as idiots. Not sure why Swann should be any different.

grecian

Was the last part Jimmeh's comment?..... :confused:
nah,this was the comment i thought was ill-judged

" If jenson button wins tomorrow Burnley will stay up. Swanny has been on the road a lot recently and won't text whilst driving"

all seens rather foolish......

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Drunk driving is not something I condone, but equating it to murder is over the top by any standards.

@Uppercut, fair enough. Its a crime here as well but far more common due to the fact that people can get away with it a bit more easily.
Not really - I'd like to see drunk driving punished as severely as manslaughter through negligence - its as criminal as that. You're basically doing something ridiculously dangerous that everyone has been told ad nausaeum makes it much more likely you kill or injure some innocent bystander. It's as criminal and stupid as firing a gun randomly out of your car as you drive around. Swann is just bloodly lucky he didn't kill a family in another car tbh.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Not really - I'd like to see drunk driving punished as severely as manslaughter through negligence - its as criminal as that. You're basically doing something ridiculously dangerous that everyone has been told ad nausaeum makes it much more likely you kill or injure some innocent bystander. It's as criminal and stupid as firing a gun randomly out of your car as you drive around. Swann is just bloodly lucky he didn't kill a family in another car tbh.
lol imagine going to jail because you had the one extra light beer that pushes you over the limit.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
TBH any drink --> don't drive is the best way to go...
Don't think thats reasonable. As pointed out before, a few drinks won't effect your driving ability. Some people want to drive to dinner and have a glass of wine or beer with their meal without the hassle of catching a cab or something home.

Matt79

Global Moderator
One drink isn't going to put you over the limit. If you want to drink more than that, don't drive. It's pretty simple and easy to manage.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yes but what if you get that little % from that last sip of beer before you head home from a dinner or a function that just puts you over. Do you deserve to have your life ruined by a criminal record of negligence and Manslaughter charges even though you haven't harmed anyone and your only just over.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
One drink wont put you over the limit but will get you arrested these days.

If you have to take a cab everytime you have a couple of beers then you'll be taking plenty of cabs home I can tell you that.

fredfertang

Oh yes but I was rejecting the idea that someone should be punished to the equivalent of manslaughter if caught drink driving
Sorry - of course you were

The concept of the criminal law attaching to the potential rather than the actual consequences of our every action is a bizarre one - if you did that then I would think speeding and jumping red lights and various other moving traffic infringements should be treated the same - we'd need a lot more prisons - but at least the roads would be quiet

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry - of course you were

The concept of the criminal law attaching to the potential rather than the actual consequences of our every action is a bizarre one - if you did that then I would think speeding and jumping red lights and various other moving traffic infringements should be treated the same - we'd need a lot more prisons - but at least the roads would be quiet
Imagine facing up to how so many years in prison because you had an extra beer at dinner and might have hurt someone on the way home, even though you're only a tiny % over the limit that dictates you are fine to drive.

Matt79

Global Moderator
But you've already commissioned what is the actual crime - operating a motor vehicle in a condition that renders you unsafe to do so. If you kill someone in a car accident where you weren't drunk, and otherwise didn't break any road rules or fail to drive safely, you won't be charged with manslaughter. It's the driving when intoxicated that is the real crime. In that state, whether or not you kill someone becomes a lottery. Given it's such an easy risk to avoid, and given the consequences are so extremely dire, I think anyone who is that careless to have the "one extra sip" (which is BS anyway, one "sip" is not going to make a measurable difference and even if it does, will be gone by the time they do the confirmatory blood test - you'd be well and truly over at the time of the breath analysis to still be over by then), deserves to have the book thrown at them.

You're essentially putting a single bullet in a revolver, spinning the chamber, and then firing it at someone - most of the time it won't actually shoot them, but it's such an unspeakably stupid thing to do that it is rightly considered a criminal offence. It's just carelessness bourne of not admitting responsibility for your actions to fail to adhere to these laws.

Saying punish them like they've committed manslaughter is probably hyperbole. But, if I had my way, not by much. True to say that if I had my way, the driving population in Australia would probably be about halved in short order, and we would need new jails. I think you deserve a criminal record and lifetime driving ban if you drink drive. I think if you've been disqualified from driving and are caught driving, you should go to jail for two years, and your car to be seized and sold. I'd make licence testing a hell of a lot harder, and make drivers retake the test every five years. I'd get rid of financial penalties for speeding, but at least double the points you incur if caught, with a 10 year ban from driving being the result for licence disqualification for reasons of speeding.

Putting someone behind the wheel is the most common way we empower people to kill themselves and others. If we proposed allowing every 18 year old who could pass a multiple choice quiz and drive around a deserted suburban block to then walk around carrying a loaded gun, there would be uproar (unless we were Americans :p). Sorry to rant, it's just a subject I reckon we're still massively immature about, and I'm kinda sick of nearly being killed once a week by morons driving like they're playing Daytona at the arcade.

Last edited:

social

I live in a country where there is zero tolerance for drink driving i.e. straight to jail plus massive fine and, if you're lucky, your employer wont cancel your visa and ship you straight home

As a deterrent, it works

Now I'm not advocating such a harsh system but I reckon if the authorities massively increased the penalties (say minimum of 3 years ban for being over the limit), the number of people that would even consider driving to avoid a $20 cab fare after hosing 100 bucks on booze would reduce dramatically

Funnily enough, the penalties for speeding are negligible so the death toll is still friggin outrageous because everyone speeds

Last edited: