Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk cover drives

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    My top shots:

All sorts of drives - cover, straight, on

Late cut (although it gets ruined when Mark Nicholas is commentating as he gets his most pompous voice out and calls it "an old fashioned back cut" every single ****ing time)

Robin Smith's square cut
    Haha - Robin Smith's square cut was ****ing brutal.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Used to especially like it when Vaughan played it and off stump cartwheeled, a split second before the umpire's call of "no ball" echoed around the ground
    Yeah we agree on that one mate.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    My top shots:

All sorts of drives - cover, straight, on

Late cut (although it gets ruined when Mark Nicholas is commentating as he gets his most pompous voice out and calls it "an old fashioned back cut" every single ****ing time)

Robin Smith's square cut
    Grew up on that shot, used to have a sticker of him playing it stuck on the front of my bat

Never managed to play it myself of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    M Waugh had a great cover drive to watch. Vaughan too. Used to especially like it when Vaughan played it and off stump cartwheeled.
    Used to hate/love Vaughan's face when he got bowled by some fairly non descript pace bowler, looked like he had smelt something particularly odious.

That and his bloody long strap will forever me by my memories of him.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Prefer the andmark, tbh.[/contribution]
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

So many batsmen play the shot well though. I remember watching Vusi Sibanda and Xavier Marshall playing some very good looking cover drives.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Sarwan does it well.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Cover drive is such a beautiful shot, many batsman play it beautifully.

If I was pressed, I would perhaps pick Mark Waugh and Mohammad Yousuf, they both have this lazy elegance about them seem to do it so effortlessly. Also why typing lazy elegance, I was reminded of Mahela Jayawardene.
    Add Anwar, Yuvraj, Gibbs, Vaughan to that.
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

anwar, sachin, mark waugh, martin crowe and de silva all had gorgeous cover drives. saw few shots played in that region by walter hammond on youtube. he is capable of winning the title hands down.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    anwar, sachin, mark waugh, martin crowe and de silva all had gorgeous cover drives. saw few shots played in that region by walter hammond on youtube. he is capable of winning the title hands down.
    hey bagapath can u pls post a link to this hammand fellow's cover drive pls?

Banned
    I like to subscribe to Ian Chappel's theory. It doesnt matter how you get runs as long as you get them. Aesthicity is fine but I prefer hard runs to looking good. Yuvraj Singh has one of the best cover drives and on drives in the game currently but it means nothing. Cover drives are also played mostly off long hops and overpitched deliveries and essentially is not one of the toughest shots to essay. I think the most difficult shots to play are the front foot pull (Ponting!), the paddle sweep (Tendulkar), the on-drive (Tendulkar).

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    I like to subscribe to Ian Chappel's theory. It doesnt matter how you get runs as long as you get them. Aesthicity is fine but I prefer hard runs to looking good. Yuvraj Singh has one of the best cover drives and on drives in the game currently but it means nothing. Cover drives are also played mostly off long hops and overpitched deliveries and essentially is not one of the toughest shots to essay. I think the most difficult shots to play are the front foot pull (Ponting!), the paddle sweep (Tendulkar), the on-drive (Tendulkar).

Dilscoop is pretty hard too ok.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    I agree with Zaremba's call for Greg Blewett.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    Dilscoop is pretty hard too ok.
    Dilscoop is actually Marillier's invention. Plenty of batsmen have played it and is a freak shot. Dilshan himself has come croppers attemtping it.

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    hey bagapath can u pls post a link to this hammand fellow's cover drive pls?
    will look for it mate. i found it last year through one of the links from a CW thread discussing some vintage black and white footage. hammond looked too majestic for words.
    Last edited by bagapath; 05-12-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information