• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best new ball pair ?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seen a couple of excellent ones, most notably Walsh and Ambrose but Donald and Pollock who I watched in the first test I ever went to were excellent.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I have seen them and I have seen two who were far better from Pakistan

• Imran and Sarfaraz
  • Wasim and Waqar
haha..misread the thread title for some reason I thought it was 'best new ball bowler'. Have not seen Imran & Sarfraz the bakwaas but among Wasim, Waqar, Shaoib & Asif it was Asif who was the best with the brand new cherry albeit very briefly though the other three of course mastered the old ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting - how often did they take the new ball together?
:blink: Only once
Yup - in a very, very famous match remembered well for a superlative knock by one Gilbert Jessop and an even more remarkable last-wicket stand (which was accompanied by one of those great cricketing apocryphal lines to go with "they've come to watch me bat, not you bowl(\Umpire)", "you guys are history" and "Hersch, you've just dropped the World Cup").

(BTW I mentioned them to go along with the relatively common trait so far this thread of random pairings)

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Will be biased and go for Walsh and Ambrose. Pretty much the entirety of the WI bowling in the latter part of their careers.