• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best new ball pair ?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yup - in a very, very famous match remembered well for a superlative knock by one Gilbert Jessop and an even more remarkable last-wicket stand (which was accompanied by one of those great cricketing apocryphal lines to go with "they've come to watch me bat, not you bowl(\Umpire)", "you guys are history" and "Hersch, you've just dropped the World Cup").

(BTW I mentioned them to go along with the relatively common trait so far this thread of random pairings)
That Jessop innings is surely one of the finest ever given the circumstances under which it was scored (marked down slightly it must be said for the dead rubber element), though as far as I know both Hirst and Rhodes denied that the "we'll get them in singles" line was ever actually spoken. That being said, like Tugga's "dropped the World Cup" comment, the story is so much better for the quote that we ignore that fact that it probably never happened.

Have to feel for Hugh Trumble in that game - 71 runs without being dismissed and match figures of 12/173 yet still ended up on the losing side!

Last edited:

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Wasim & Waqar. Pace, variety, unusual bowlers, both took wickets by the bagfull and could do it on flat surfaces around the world too.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasim & Waqar. Pace, variety, unusual bowlers, both took wickets by the bagfull and could do it on flat surfaces around the world too.
One of the greatest, if not the greatest, fast bowling pair. But "new ball" pair isn't a box they fit into so easily, because their greatness was largely based on their ability with the old ball, Waqar especially.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Wasim & Waqar too.

I remember watching this game on the telly, and being blown away by the swing and pace they had that day. The best combined bowling performance I've ever watched.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There have been so many.

Among those not yet mentioned here

• Lindwall and Miller
  • Lillee and Thomson
  • Roberts and Holding
  • Marshall and Garner
  • Gregory and MacDonald

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup - in a very, very famous match remembered well for a superlative knock by one Gilbert Jessop and an even more remarkable last-wicket stand (which was accompanied by one of those great cricketing apocryphal lines to go with "they've come to watch me bat, not you bowl(\Umpire)", "you guys are history" and "Hersch, you've just dropped the World Cup").

(BTW I mentioned them to go along with the relatively common trait so far this thread of random pairings)
Ensuring it was that random required effort = nerd.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say that Marshall and Garner would be my pick.

Though Marshall and Holding would probably be awfully close (though not sure if they ever opened together).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd say that Marshall and Garner would be my pick.

Though Marshall and Holding would probably be awfully close (though not sure if they ever opened together).
Pretty sure it was always Marshall and Garner opening with Holding first-change. Made sense - Marshall and Holding were pretty similar, being very quick pitch-up swingers; Garner was a fast-medium back-of-length seamer. So Lloyd mixed it up with the opening pair.

That said, that threesome is by a considerable margin the best one-two-three in Test history. I'd imagine only Lindwall-Miller-Johnston comes close.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Better than walsh and ambrose ?
Yes.

Sammy, how did I know when you began this thread that you were waiting to turn it into a thread about your favourite West Indian bowlers?

Walsh and Ambrose worked wonders carrying a West Indian team in decline, but I'd say Marshall / Ambrose (1988) and Marshall / Garner (early 80s) were better. Marshall and Garner being maybe the best, from any country, of all time.

sammy2

Banned
Yes.

Sammy, how did I know when you began this thread that you were waiting to turn it into a thread about your favourite West Indian bowlers?

Walsh and Ambrose worked wonders carrying a West Indian team in decline, but I'd say Marshall / Ambrose (1988) and Marshall / Garner (early 80s) were better. Marshall and Garner being maybe the best, from any country, of all time.
Honestly, I really wanted to see some stats. But im sure walsh and ambrose probably shared the greatest records .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I want to see how they compared with other pairs. Lolol @ people getting upset about this, ofcourse West Indies would have the best bowlers everytime.
The point is, there's no way you'd start a thread without expecting pro-West Indies answers You're just a propaganda machine.

sammy2

Banned
The point is, there's no way you'd start a thread without expecting pro-West Indies answers You're just a propaganda machine.
You seem crazy, be angry at the players not me. I haven't read a single pro WI post in this thread, and means nada to me. So whats your point ?