• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great no-balling controversy!

Dissector

International Debutant
A bowler,let's call him M, is no-balled repeatedly by an Australian umpire throwing the game into chaos! He turns to state-of-the-art technology in order to clear his name! Watch this stunning video clip of the red-hot controversy!!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, the action is weird, but it looks fine to me. It's impossible to be sure with the angle and quality though.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dear Arthur,

I suggest getting the front arm higher and pushing through the crease a bit more.

Yours sincerely,

Son of Coco

ripper868

International Coach
"Here the villain of the peace leaves the field of play, the larger of the two officials wearing a larrakin type hat"

archie mac

International Coach
Thanks for that loved it:cool:

It should be said that Mr. Mold may have changed his action for the filming:ph34r:

Later on the county captains had a meeting and were required to write down who they though was a chucker

Mold and CB Fry were both black listed, although Fry had his batting to fall back on:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WoW. Read of this Phillips-Mold controversy years ago - think it was in Wisden 2004 or 2005 - and was fascinated to find there was film of Mold. Completely regardless of whether his action was fair or not, it's always absolutely wonderful to see film from the Golden Age. Earliest film I've ever seen before (apart from that stuff of WG Grace which is so grainy with so many frames missing you may as well not bother) is from 1905, the famous stuff featuring the Australian tourists that year.

Was never imagining when I read said article that one day I'd be seeing that footage on YouTube.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Action looks totally pukka to me; dunno what Chiles is on about when he said Mold's arm looks bent rather than straight. His action is somewhat round-armed, but not a hint of a kink.

Wasn't exactly steaming in tho, so might not be his usual full pelt delivery. Shades of another "M" being held up to scrutiny at the University of WA, perhaps? :ph34r: