• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When I was a Boy

archie mac

International Coach
When you were a little tacker which player(s) did you pretend to be?

Batting=Greg Chappell

Bowling=Dennis Lillee

WK=Rodney Marsh

And if I needed quick runs Kim Hughes

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I am pretty sure I still pretend to be like these guys...:ph34r:

Batting - Sir Viv
Bowling - Lillee/Warne
WK - Never cared enough to imitate.
All-round character on the pitch - Miller :p

masterblaster

International Captain
Great thread mate.

Batting = Sachin Tendulkar

When I was growing up, Sachin was the king. Even as an adult he's still the king. When I was around 10 years old, Sachin was a 22 year old young prodigy. I became so captivated by his perfect technique and his destructive, yet elegant batting I tried to model my batting like Sachin. As I grew older, I decided that I was more of a bowler.

Bowling = Anil Kumble

I always wanted to bowl leg spin as a kid but never really had the action of a Shane Warne or a Mushtaq Ahmed down. I then watched Anil Kumble bowl and I was so inspired. His fast, action and his ability to send down fast leg spinners and googly's without really turning the ball gave me hope that I could be a leg spinner too. I tried to model his bowling style as well when I was around 11 or 12 years old.

WK = Nobody

I was terrible behind the stumps and I was never really a wicket keeper. Although I really enjoyed watching Alec Stewart wicket keep. His technique, his strong mental attitude and his simplicity in everything he did made him a favourite of mine.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Batting : Farokh Engineer

Bowling : John Snow

WK : Farokh Engineer

In my dreams anyway - in truth I batted like a cautious version of Chris Tavare and bowled like Graham Gooch impersonating Geoff Boycott's bowling

......................... but I could keep wicket like Engineer (well a bit like him anyway)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Before I started playing properly I tried to bowl like Qadir.

Once I joined a club and bowled fast then I pretended to be Larwood.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Batting = Brian Lara

When I was a boy all I wanted to be was Brian Lara. Remember being captivated by him smashing the Australian bowling attack around the park. No batsmen made batting look so easy and stylish. I tried for years to model my game around Lara's high back lift and slashing square drives. The results were not big double centuries, rather off stump constantly being uprooted.

Bowling = Waqar Younis

Sweat-bands and all, I wanted to bowl like Waqar. Used to run into the wicket fast, and imagine leg stump being uprooted with the perfect yorker. 60km/h full tosses resulted, but damn I tried to bowl like Waqar.

I feel privileged to have grown up as a young kid following the peak periods of such players as Lara, Younis, Warne, Akram, Ambrose, McGrath, Tendulker etc. Many role models to follow.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Batting:
Border/Sachin

I know they're contrasting in style. When I was a really young kid (6-8) I really loved Border. He (along with Warne) were the faces of Australian cricket for me, and so he was the guy I wanted to be. Not necessarily technically, but he just seemd to be 'da man'.

Then Sachin when I watched more cricket and became a fan of the Indian team. Have loved watching him bat more than anyone ever since, and tried to emulate his front foot drives too.

Bowling
Warne

Fairly self-explanatory. Still bowl leg-spin.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
haha, Im just remembering the days of the Donald-eque face paint. Thank goodness that is not longer done.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Before I started playing properly I tried to bowl like Qadir.

Once I joined a club and bowled fast then I pretended to be Larwood.
Oh hell yeah, I wanted that action so bad.

And Craig McDermott's face paint action takes some beating;

There's a picture of him on an old Inside Edge mag with that style but bright green.

ozone

First Class Debutant
As someone who's slightly younger (and English), Darren Gough was always the bowler who I tried to emulate as a kid. Didin't really try to bat like anyone imparticular, although the summer after the 02/3 Ashes, I remember wanting to bat like Michael Vaughan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, Sean, you and your bloody thread titles! First it's this, now this.

Anyway, for me...
Batting: Graham Gooch
Bowling: Ian Salisbury when I was bowling wristspin, Dominic Cork when I was bowling seam
Wicketkeeping: don't keep wicket and never have, got hit in the nose by a lad called Liam Plunkett on the 1 occasion I did it.
Outfielding: Nick Knight

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bowling: Jeff Thompson, Merv Hughes, Dennis Lillee

Batting: Steve Waugh, John Dyson, I can't really remember the rest