• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Test match batting of Yuvraj Singh

Craig

World Traveller
Having a look at his record and after 25 Tests it is quite poor, but in ODIs he carves up, so why can't he translate his ODi form over to Test cricket, or in deed FC cricket where his average is quite low with 43.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Weakness against quality spin. Goes fishing at balls he should be leaving.
That's pretty much it.

Flat track, spinning track or seaming track, he still has the temperament in pressure situations, and he still has the shots, but when the ball is slightly outside off consistently, and he's not full of confidence (see tour to Australia), he'll struggle.

I still have faith he'll come along, but the problem is, there are really promising Indian FC batsmen being held out of the team because of him.

That being said, his knock in Chennai vs. England was excellent. The English (particularly Flintoff) really got stuck into him and bowled in the corridor outside off, and sledging him trying to get him to play at it. He didn't, he stuck there with Sachin, and India won a historic game.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TBF this run in the Test side is his first shot at a consistent post. In the past he has always been replacing injuried players and even when he has done well he got dropped when the incumbent came back.

He record at six and seven is not that bad averages over 40. It is his record opening and at five where he has struggled. There not too many batsmen that can come into a Test side and bat at five and above, as West Indies keep finiding out with the million batsmen they try at four. Also we know what happens when you play a lower middle order batsmen as an opener.

archie mac

International Coach
Not necessarily, he failed on flat tracks in Australia where Harbhajan got runs. Goes fishing at balls he should leave alone.
The first Test was not flat, and then I thought he lost his confidence after being dismissed twice cheaply:)

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have been one of his biggest critics in FC cricket but I have a sneaky feeling he'll be right though. Problems are all in his head for mine.

R_D

International Debutant
After that Chennai innings i think there's some hope for yuvraj..... He has looked much better in test matches since coming back as well...

Jakester1288

International Regular
Plays at balls he should leave, impatient at times, and doesn't really perform when he isn't full of confidence. Also not the best player of good spin bowling.

masterblaster

International Captain
Maybe it's a lack of patience as he doesn't really know how to construct a long test innings. He's pretty good at constructing ODI innings though. But I agree with a lot of the above posters, it's more of a mental thing and the fact that he's not really good against top quality spin bowling.

bryce

International Regular
I heard that his mindset towards batting in Test matches is now to pretend he is playing a one-day match

biased indian

International Coach
he has a weakness aganist good spinners and in test when they have people close in he struggle

but with little patiance i think he could be atleast a good test batsmen

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yuvraj is under-rated against spin- he's done well against Muralitharan very often, Kaneria at his peak and Mendis lately. He's been lazy against less-fancied slow bowlers. I'd say he's the Andy Flower or Chris Cairns of India- he needs a big opposition to do well against. We may see him play his best innings when facing the best bowlers of any team, but tends to relax when he's facing one not too threatening.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He's not rubbish. He is on the up and as previously stated this is his first real run where he's not replacing an injured player or anything. I fully expect his average to get into the 40s soon.

Hopefully in both forms of the game, hey PEWS..

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weakness against top-quality spin? Top-quality spinners play ODIs too. He may or may not be weak against it but that doesn't answer the question.

I reckon it's because he's vulnerable early in his innings but in ODIs everyone gives him defensive fields and dibbly-dobblers to get his eye in.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Weakness against top-quality spin? Top-quality spinners play ODIs too. He may or may not be weak against it but that doesn't answer the question.

I reckon it's because he's vulnerable early in his innings but in ODIs everyone gives him defensive fields and dibbly-dobblers to get his eye in.
Precisely.

There's also the fact that averaging in the mid 30s with a high SR on flat pitches is of much more use in ODIs than it is in Tests. His Test average is actually pretty similar to his ODI average at the moment; it's just a more acceptable figure in ODIs and his ability to really accelerate really adds to his ODI game, whereas it generally isn't that useful in Tests.