• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose the last player for Post Packer XI

Select the last player for the Post-Packer XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
Here are the three players in contention for the last spot in Post Packer Dream XI. There were the runners-up in the polls for spinner, opening bowler and no.6 respectively.

Mutthiah Muralitharan
Glen McGrath
Jacques Kallis

I am also bringing in three wild cards from the no.6 poll and the opening bowlers poll.

Ian Botham
Dennis Lillee
Curtly Ambrose

There were the second/ third runners-up in the respective polls.

I am sure you guys know the stats of these champions. If not, please check the relevant threads for their numbers in the Post Packer Era

Choose one of them to complete the following team.

Sunil Gavaskar
Mathew Hayden
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Imran Khan
Adam Gilchrist
Richard Hadlee
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne

Who are you going to select? A fast bowler? A spinner? A bowling all-rounder? Or a batting all-rounder?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SK Warne at 10, that side definitely doesn't need any more batting. Murali or McGrath for me, and I went for McGrath.

Fusion

Global Moderator
This is a touch choice. I want to shore up the batting with Kallis, though I’m equally tempted to have another devastating pacer like Ambrose in the team. I’m going to think about this and save my vote for later.

Something_Fishy

School Boy/Girl Captain
4 top quality bowlers, so I'd say you need an all-rounder. Batting is very strong though so Botham would get my vote ahead of Kallis.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Given the batting in the team, I think I'm entitled to pick on bowling alone.

With three absolute top-class seamers, that's taken care of, so it's Murali.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Wouldn't have Imran batting above Gilchrist.
In matches where Imran batted at 6, his bowling average was 33, and his strike rate went upto 79.

It doesn't make sense to waste his bowling talent by batting him so high when there's a certain Adam Gilchrist in the team too. I know his batting average at 6 is 61, but were people expecting him to average 23 with the ball too even when batting at 6?

bagapath

International Captain
In matches where Imran batted at 6, his bowling average was 33, and his strike rate went upto 79.

It doesn't make sense to waste his bowling talent by batting him so high when there's a certain Adam Gilchrist in the team too. Were people expecting him to average 23 with the ball even when batting at 6?
the batting order will be finalized after all the players all selected. dont want to get into it now.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'm torn between voting for Kallis to solidify the batting line-up and Lillee, the best fast bowler ever IMO.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given the batting in the team, I think I'm entitled to pick on bowling alone.

With three absolute top-class seamers, that's taken care of, so it's Murali.
Ah I'd rather have four pacemen and a spinner than three and two. I suspect Murali will win the poll though, because those who agree with me will be divided into three options.

bagapath

International Captain
we have three of the greatest right arm fast bowlers of all time already in the team. dont want more of the same howmuchever i love ambrose and mcgrath. i am reserving lillee for the pre-packer xi. not a fan of kallis'. i love ian botham but am going to choose murali because he completes this bowling attack. no team would even dream of surviving warne and murali on a wearing wicket. as for the fresh strips, messers hadlee, marshall and imran know what to do.

archie mac

International Coach
I was thinking a left arm fast bowler who could bat, but I can't see the fellow I want to select on the poll?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Went McGrath as I think we want a fourth seamer more than a second spinner, and McGrath is more likely to win than Lillee or Ambrose.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no need for Kallis. The team has 4 great batsmen in its top 6, two pretty good ones in Hayden and Imran and a magnificent lower-middle order.

So it's Murali or McGrath. I haven't made up my mind yet.

steve132

U19 Debutant
Voted for Murali. The batting is already strong and deep, and with three great fast bowlers already selected a second spinner would add most to the attack.

subshakerz

International Coach
I voted for Murali, given that there is little that McGrath can offer that is not covered by Imran, Marshall, and Hadlee. Murali provides a spinning counterpart to Warne, even though McGrath is still a better bowler than Murali IMO.

pako007

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I would go for Wasim Akram, but ridicously he isn`t here far better than Mcgrath but it is what i could expect. Wasim Akram Legend feared by all the batsman who faced him. his records dont do him short either but anyways.