• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Englands best bowling attack.

ozone

First Class Debutant
I'm confused as to who there is to come back into the side really? Maybe Simon Jones, but the chances of him being back to how he was in 2005 are so small its unrealistic to even hope.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Flintoff
Anderson
Simon Jones (2005 version)
Any quick who's not Harmison
Spinner (probably Swann)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Flintoff
Sidebottom (once he's match fit)

Anderson (I suppose)

a spinner who can bat a bit - Swann, maybe Rashid in due course

the cupboard is pretty bare

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Flintoff
Sidebottom
Anderson
Panesar (still think he is just about the best option)

Then I think it is one from many unconvincing candidates:

Broad - they seem to like his character but I think most people agree his bowling isn't good enough right now
Tremlett - Would really like to see him have another go as he did a very good job in against India, probledm is there are always injury issues and he just didn't get enough wickets for Hampshire last year.
Hoggard - Should definetly still be in contention and I think might be the best option, would be very useful in this current test.
Harmison - I've almost given up hope
Simon Jones - As already said, will he ever be fit for long enough?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anderson
Flintoff
Kabir Ali
Hoggard

Won't happen, but they're the best bowlers we've got IMHO. Kabir Ali is really the only one who consistently makes a case in domestic cricket. He wasn't great when he played for us last, but he's gone back to domestic cricket and proven he's a wicket-taker.

Panesar's a busted flush and Swanns not a test bowler IMHO, so spin bowling would only be tokenism, lets pray Rashid can score lots of runs and be a decent number 6 who can bowl when it's a bunsen, but at the moment Colly and KP can make up the overs.

I'm not sure Sidebottom, Jones, Lewis or Tremlett can stay fit for any lengths of time at the moment, so I'd leave them out until they can prove it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Flintoff
Sidebottom (once he's match fit)

Anderson (I suppose)

a spinner who can bat a bit - Swann, maybe Rashid in due course

the cupboard is pretty bare
Hoggard
Harmison
Sidebottom
Flintoff
Anderson
Davies
Jones
Kabir Ali
Broad

Its hardly a bare cupboard. If England selectors were smart enough and picked their players based on the conditions, we'd have one of the best bowling attacks in the world. Id like to hear how many other teams in the world have that kind of backup quality going around. If Hoggard was Australian, hed be making his debut around about now.

tooextracool

International Coach
Personally,England should pick their bowlers based on the conditions.

If Jones has a time when hes consistently fit, Id have something like:

Jones
Flintoff
Hoggard
Swann
Anderson/Harmison depending on the conditions.

Dont know much about Kabir at the moment.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Hoggard
Harmison
Sidebottom
Flintoff
Anderson
Davies
Jones
Kabir Ali
Broad

Its hardly a bare cupboard. If England selectors were smart enough and picked their players based on the conditions, we'd have one of the best bowling attacks in the world. Id like to hear how many other teams in the world have that kind of backup quality going around. If Hoggard was Australian, hed be making his debut around about now.
I have my doubts that Hoggard would get a game for Australia now.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson
Flintoff
Kabir Ali
Hoggard

Won't happen, but they're the best bowlers we've got IMHO. Kabir Ali is really the only one who consistently makes a case in domestic cricket. He wasn't great when he played for us last, but he's gone back to domestic cricket and proven he's a wicket-taker..
I think him going back & taking wickets is like Hick going back & making runs since he last played for ENG in 2001. Which is due to the standard of batsmen he probably bowled to.

If my memory served me correctly, he was playing in Division 2 for Worcetershire. Which unless its a superb talent. Players from that division especially proven garbage like Ali shouldn't be near the test or national side in general.

Panesar's a busted flush and Swanns not a test bowler IMHO, so spin bowling would only be tokenism, lets pray Rashid can score lots of runs and be a decent number 6 who can bowl when it's a bunsen, but at the moment Colly and KP can make up the overs.
Agreed. But pace is our teams strenght, so Swann should be picked to the job Giles was doing for years.

I'd love for scenario with Rashid to come to pass also. Looks like he'd more of a # 7 bat though...

pskov

International 12th Man
If Rashid could average even just 25 with the bat and 32 with the ball over his test career he would be an excellent player for England. That his potential is considered by many to be higher than that is why everyone gets excited, but don't underestimate the value of just having a solid spinner who can bat well. Would everyone be complaining as much about Monty's place in the team over the last 6 months if he was a decent fielder and batting at 8 and making test match fifties?

Matt79

Global Moderator
No, England might benefit from Saj having a change of country.

What's Jones doing at the moment. Are there are grounds to hope he'll make it back to the Test team, and if so, to think he'd be anything beyond a shadow of himself?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
No, England might benefit from Saj having a change of country.

What's Jones doing at the moment. Are there are grounds to hope he'll make it back to the Test team, and if so, to think he'd be anything beyond a shadow of himself?
Indeed. Does Australia fancy him, Mahmood > Ryan Harris? :)

As for Jones his currently recuperating from another bout of surgery. Apparently he should be fit for the start of the county season but even when he was 'fit' last year like Shaun Tait he was spared consecutive games and watched very carefully.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But on the other hand when he did bowl last year, there was nothing to suggest that injury had taken toll on the quality of his bowling.