• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Englands best bowling attack.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
But on the other hand when he did bowl last year, there was nothing to suggest that injury had taken toll on the quality of his bowling.
Kabir Ali did most of the dog-work for Worcestershire (was the unsung hero for mine) whilst Jones got a fair chunk of his wickets against the lower order and as Aussie alluded to, county division 2 cricket really is the pits. I saw two versions of Jones last year one was rapid and the other was bowling off a few steps.

I think England made the right decision to overlook him for selection at Headingley not that Darren Pattinson was the right one of course.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, probably. I saw him just twice but both times he looked as good as ever.

The point I was making is that i don't think there's a concern that he'll get fit but be a crap bowler when he returns- just that he'll never get fully fit ever again.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If Rashid could average even just 25 with the bat and 32 with the ball over his test career he would be an excellent player for England. That his potential is considered by many to be higher than that is why everyone gets excited, but don't underestimate the value of just having a solid spinner who can bat well. Would everyone be complaining as much about Monty's place in the team over the last 6 months if he was a decent fielder and batting at 8 and making test match fifties?
Word...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm, perhaps we should start a thread about our batting, as on todays shambolic show of craptitude, it may be the bigger problem......

Woodster

International Captain
Harmison's pace is a worry to me. Admittedly this track offered his style of bowler very little in terms of pace and quick bounce, but would still like to see him bounding in and delivering it in the high 80's rather than the low 80's.

He's a strike bowler, the kind to bowl aggressively, bang it in short of a length. At the minute we're just getting slightly quicker than medium pace (not that I'd like to face him) reasonably accurate spells, which imo is not why he's selected.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Harmison's pace is a worry to me. Admittedly this track offered his style of bowler very little in terms of pace and quick bounce, but would still like to see him bounding in and delivering it in the high 80's rather than the low 80's.

He's a strike bowler, the kind to bowl aggressively, bang it in short of a length. At the minute we're just getting slightly quicker than medium pace (not that I'd like to face him) reasonably accurate spells, which imo is not why he's selected.

I think the idea that quicks couldn't be expected to do a thing on this pitch was somewhat exposed this afternoon. Beyond that, surely it's not unreasonable to expect Harmy to send down 2 or 3 fast yorkers per over, so the pitch wouldn't be an issue.

btw what did you make of suggestions that he is carrying a few too many kilos?

Jigga988

State 12th Man

nature of the pitch and heat. Flintoff was the strongest out of any bowler on show regarding pace, everyone else was around the 85mph mark at best.

Woodster

International Captain
I think the idea that quicks couldn't be expected to do a thing on this pitch was somewhat exposed this afternoon. Beyond that, surely it's not unreasonable to expect Harmy to send down 2 or 3 fast yorkers per over, so the pitch wouldn't be an issue.

btw what did you make of suggestions that he is carrying a few too many kilos?
Yes yorkers are missing from a lot of bowlers like Harmy's armoury. The smaller skiddier types like Taylor, Malinga, Shoaib (although not for some time) use it so effectively.

If any style of quick bowler was to be successful on this track, someone like Taylor would have been up there. He bowls full, straight, with a hint of movement. Harmison's natural back of a length was obviously going to cause fewer problems in Jamaica.

Carrying too many kilos ? Perhaps he is a bigger man than his early days, which appears to be the way in these modern times, see South Africa. Although I'm not sure that is the root cause of his lack of intimidating pace. So frequently he has failed to replicate the kind of speeds that made him such a threatening bowler.

Woodster

International Captain
nature of the pitch and heat. Flintoff was the strongest out of any bowler on show regarding pace, everyone else was around the 85mph mark at best.
But it's not just based on this Test. In recent series he has not delivered spells up and around the 90's. I know it's important he finds his rhythm and it cartainly won't be a lack of effort, but something is amiss. His rhythm seems a constant problem. They say he needs plenty of overs under his belt to find his groove, which was why he was so effective in the County Championship last season, but he needs to do all he can to ensure he hits the ground at the beginning of Test series running!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SF Barnes
Larwood
Trueman
Botham
Underwood.

If they were all back and fit, they'd be my picks :ph34r:

Athlai

Not Terrible
When was the last time if ever have England actually fielded their 'best bowling attack'.