• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We used to mock the Poms for picking 30+ year old blokes who had moderate records and who could do a bit of this and a bit of that.
A 29 year old batsman with 8880 runs @ 44.17 at first class level was never considered "moderate" for the Poms. He was the star batsman.

Julian87

State Captain
I know he'll probably get picked, but capping guys such is North is such a dead end thing. I really resent 30 year old debutants with a moderate FC record getting capped. He averages below 45 in FC cricket. Mike Hussey is very much the exception, rather than the rule in terms of picking 30 year old debutants. They should take a punt on someone like Ferguson at six - someone who has time and room for improvement.
8-)

If North's First Class record is "moderate" then Ferguson's is "****ing shocking". You don't get bonus runs for picking young blokes - North is a better batsman than Ferguson and he's been picked as an allrounder anyway. No brainer.
^ This.

Like an Ealham or Chris Lewis..
North is hardly a bits and pieces all rounder. McDonald is perhaps comparable to them, but not North. North is a good batsman who bowls a bit and has some bowling form.

A 29 year old batsman with 8880 runs @ 44.17 at first class level was never considered "moderate" for the Poms. He was the star batsman.
Exactly.

brockley

International Captain
HowardJ please what are callam fergurson's bowling figures this year,since you are recommending him be the allrounder in our test side.
If thats the case he is an allrounder can he bowl instead of dave hussey or cameron white they are ****e.

Redbacks

International Captain
Series Result: SA 1-0
Top SA Runscorer: Smith
Top Aus Runscorer: Ponting
Top SA Wicket-taker: Steyn
Top Aus Wicket-taker: Bollinger
Player of the Series: Smith
Surprise Packet: Hughes
Dropped Player(s): Aus #6/McKenzie
Miscellaneous Event: Clarke and Katman to put together an important partnership

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
there is no way the aussies are winning this one.my prediction is 2-1 south africa but i think a 1-1 is also possible.the aussies will surely give a better account of themselves though.

Howsie

International Captain
Series Result: SA 2-0
Top SA Runscorer: Amla
Top Aus Runscorer: Hussey
Top SA Wicket-taker: Ntini
Top Aus Wicket-taker: Siddle
Player of the Series: Amla
Surprise Packet: Mitchell Johnson with the Bat
Dropped Player(s): Bollinger, McKenzie
Miscellaneous Event: This will be the last test series Ponting is captain of Australia.

howardj

International Coach
That perhaps indicates that they were selected too early and needed to refine their games more at First Class level before being ready. Hussey hasn't been dropped, for example.
Ponting, SWaugh, Slater, Hayden, Langer, Martyn, Warne, McGrath - all picked too early were they?

Or was the fact that they were promoted early, learnt what Test cricket was all about and then came back better players, more likely the case?

Honestly, you are deluded if you think that Australia will rebuild by picking 30 year old debutants who don't even average 45 in FC cricket

But oh hang on...they can bowl a bit of offspin.

howardj

International Coach
HowardJ please what are callam fergurson's bowling figures this year,since you are recommending him be the allrounder in our test side.
If thats the case he is an allrounder can he bowl instead of dave hussey or cameron white they are ****e.

I'm not recommending him as the allrounder.

I never even knew he bowled.

Julian87

State Captain
Ponting, SWaugh, Slater, Hayden, Langer, Martyn, Warne, McGrath - all picked too early were they?

Or was the fact that they were promoted early, learnt what Test cricket was all about and then came back better players, more likely the case?

Honestly, you are deluded if you think that Australia will rebuild by picking 30 year old debutants who don't even average 45 in FC cricket

But oh hang on...they can bowl a bit of offspin.
Waugh, Hayden, Martyn and Langer were probably all picked too early.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
I think australia do have a chance in this series as pitches in southafrica do tend to seam
more than australia so australian bowling attack which struggled on flat pitches in australia
will be better,

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Series Result: Aus 2-1
Top SA Runscorer: Kallis
Top Aus Runscorer: Ponting
Top SA Wicket-taker: Morkel
Top Aus Wicket-taker: Siddle
Player of the Series: Johnson
Surprise Packet: North
Dropped Player(s): Ntini, Harris, Hilfenhaus
Miscellaneous Event: Johnson to be given credit for taking wickets with decent bowling

Jakester1288

International Regular
Me too. David Hussey? About time IMO.
David Hussey for sure.

He deserves his chance and has been one of the form players in the Australian and English domestic comps for years now. He is a fantastic player in the longer form as well as his recently exposed shorter forms of the game, and his first class average of 54 supports his case. He would be my first replacement batsmen for Australia in test matches, so perhaps he will get his chance if Michael Clarke's injury is more serious than first thought. A middle order of M Hussey, D Hussey, North and Haddin is much stronger than one of M Hussey, North, Haddin and McDonald.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
If you went on this year's shield form, for players with more than a couple of games, you'd have:

M Klinger 77.85 4 100s
CJL Rogers 76.27 3 100s
LA Carseldine 50.63 1 100s
CJ Ferguson 48.00 2 100s
N Jewell 47.08 2 100s

Ferguson seemed to aquit himself well in the ODI's so he wouldn't be the worst pick for a replacement. I don't think Dussey's really had a good FC season, and I thought he looked **** in the ODIs.

Jakester1288

International Regular
If you went on this year's shield form, for players with more than a couple of games, you'd have:

M Klinger 77.85 4 100s
CJL Rogers 76.27 3 100s
LA Carseldine 50.63 1 100s
CJ Ferguson 48.00 2 100s
N Jewell 47.08 2 100s

Ferguson seemed to aquit himself well in the ODI's so he wouldn't be the worst pick for a replacement. I don't think Dussey's really had a good FC season, and I thought he looked **** in the ODIs.
Well, for starters, the only one there you would pick would probably be Ferguson. Rodgers, Jewell and sometimes Klinger are openers, so Ferguson and Carseldine are the best options for mine. Carseldine hasn't really done enough, his average over his first class career is 37 - not a shadow on Dave Hussey. Also, if you want some of Dave Hussey's story and his stats, have a look in Novemember 2008's Inside Cricket magazine on pages 32-36. Well written article about how he has come through as the younger brother of Mike Hussey.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's just because they don't play all of their cricket on the M1 :p

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, for starters, the only one there you would pick would probably be Ferguson. Rodgers, Jewell and sometimes Klinger are openers, so Ferguson and Carseldine are the best options for mine. Carseldine hasn't really done enough, his average over his first class career is 37 - not a shadow on Dave Hussey. Also, if you want some of Dave Hussey's story and his stats, have a look in Novemember 2008's Inside Cricket magazine on pages 32-36. Well written article about how he has come through as the younger brother of Mike Hussey.
I'm not advocating the openers or Carseldine, I'm just pointing out that Ferguson's had a good season. I do prefer the idea of picking players on form and I didn't think Hussey really looked on form in the ODIs.

And as for Carseldine, his FC average in his 'second' career, ie after his 3-year break, is what he has managed this year which seems more instructive than his career average in my opinion. Though again, I wouldn't pick him, although I might have done in the ODIs/T20s.