• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Replacement Runners

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
Last night, Hodge called for a runner (Blizzard). Later, Blizzard got a bit tired, so Hodge replaced him with Ronnie.

Can you do that? Within the Laws, I mean?

Is Richard not around anymore?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last night, Hodge called for a runner (Blizzard). Later, Blizzard got a bit tired, so Hodge replaced him with Ronnie.

Can you do that? Within the Laws, I mean?

Is Richard not around anymore?
Saw that and thought you couldn't do it tbh.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think it's so unfair really.

If Hodge's runner is tired/injured and can't go on the onus should go back on Hodge.

I'm not just saying this because it was against QLD, everyone knows that running between wickets is a key element in Cricket and to have a fresh guy all the time gives the batting team an unfair advantage.

pup11

International Coach
I think it was not a case of Blizzard getting too tired and getting off the field, as the commentators were saying Blizzard seemed to have hurt himself in some way, maybe he pulled a hamstring or something, or maybe he could have just cramped up, but unless Blizzard didn't go off the due to an injury neither the umpires or Simpson should have allowed a fresher runner for Hodge.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
AWTA.

Saw a YouTube clip last night of MoYo getting a runner for a cut elbow ffs. Ganguly, understandably, was giving him a fair amount of grief for it.

Plus, the last couple of occasions I've seen a batsman get a runner - AB de Villiers vs WI in the World Cup, and Yuvraj vs England in the 1st ODI in the last series, seemed unfair, as both took advantage and went all out to hit the bowling out the ground.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
AWTA.

Saw a YouTube clip last night of MoYo getting a runner for a cut elbow ffs. Ganguly, understandably, was giving him a fair amount of grief for it.

Plus, the last couple of occasions I've seen a batsman get a runner - AB de Villiers vs WI in the World Cup, and Yuvraj vs England in the 1st ODI in the last series, seemed unfair, as both took advantage and went all out to hit the bowling out the ground.
Yeah, Ranatunga getting a runner because he was a fat bastard wasn't good either.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Saeed Anwar getting Afridi to run for him for close to 30 overs when he was on 60* or something during his innings of 194 comes to mind.

Julian87

State Captain
I do agree with a runner. If someone badly hurts their leg and simply can't run, I don't see what is so bad abut it. I thought this was illegal though, the runner must have been deemed injured for this to be allowed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I do agree with a runner. If someone badly hurts their leg and simply can't run, I don't see what is so bad abut it. I thought this was illegal though, the runner must have been deemed injured for this to be allowed.
Yeah, from what I know Blizzard hurt his knee. Although Hodge wasn't that happy about his running between wickets, so Blizz may have "hurt" *wink* his knee.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Strongly disagree with runners.

Running between the wickets is just as much a part of a batsman's innings than their actual strokeplay. If a batsman hurts his arm, but is able to run, he's not allowed to get a player to play his shots for him. So he shouldn't be allowed a player to run between the wickets for him.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, I can see all POV.

Everyone has a valid point. Personally it doesnt bother me in the slightest. In the same way I dont care about substitute fielders.

It seems overly harsh to make a guy who is injured run, just as its harsh to make an injured guy field.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I do agree with a runner. If someone badly hurts their leg and simply can't run, I don't see what is so bad abut it.
Because imo, running between the wickets is as much a part of batting as hitting the ball.

Can see Warne using a golf buggie to get from his mark to the crease in the 2039 IPL Tournament.

readie

State Regular
Because imo, running between the wickets is as much a part of batting as hitting the ball.

Can see Warne using a golf buggie to get from his mark to the crease in the 2039 IPL Tournament.

:lol::lol: Awesome mental picture.

I think they should be allowed personally. Mainly because I feel that the actuall process of shot selection, timing, and power are much more important than the running between the wickets "skill" of a Batsman. When was the last time you saw a bloke selected because he could run between the wickets well? anyone?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Personally I think they should be disallowed altogether. If you are fat, get injured and end up with a fit runner, it gives you an unfair advantage for no real reason at all. Man up and tough it out IMO.

Evermind

International Debutant
Ranatunga and David Boon are batting together with Inzy and Manjrekar as runners in an alternate universe.