• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best & Smooth Bowling Actions

Which of the following fast bowler has the best bowling action?

• Total voters

kingkallis

International Coach
Who of the following has the best / smooth action and complete run up! Share your opinions with valid reasons / explanation! [ Since 1990 ]

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Don't see any "following", but Richard Hadlee is my first and only choice.
Before opening the thread I thought about the question and decided on Richard Hadlee as well.

Economy of motion and completely under control.

kingkallis

International Coach
Sorry guys, I was a bit slow! I have not seen much of pre-90 era bowlers so I have taken only 1990+ era bowlers. Unfortunately I couldnt accomodate a place to swing king Wasim Akram!

My pick here is Allan Donald!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't see any "following", but Richard Hadlee is my first and only choice.
Someone should edit "from 1990 onwards" into the thread title, because otherwise Hadlee is the winner every time.

As to the options included, they all had a lot going for them. I obviously enjoyed Cork and Donald's best - they're my two favourite bowlers by a country mile. Cork wasn't quite Holding-esque in his run-up, but he looked a natural runner, and his action wasn't far from the classical mould (save the head, obviously). Donald, meanwhile, just radiated power, but it was effortless power. He ran hard without appearing to sprint; he whirled his arms while barely appearing to move them; and he got the ball to do just about everything a seam-bowler could want it to do to boot.

Hard to choose, but Cork being the first I came to love (1995 as opposed to 1998) I'll go with him here.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Of those you mention, for me, McGrath. Simple, effective, fluid, long-lasting...text-book.

krkode

State Captain
I'd pick McGrath just on the basis that he seemed to put very little effort into each ball and yet each one turned out to be so good. Granted, I think to emulate an action like his, one invariably needs height. Akram is similar and another guy whose action I like.

Fast bowlers who are shorter tend to have more jumpy actions? Like Waqar and Gough...

I wonder how tall is Donald? 6'0? Because he too seemed to jump up real high for every delivery :o

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Brett Lee, Donald and McGrath all have great actions but a little different.

Lee and Donald had smooth and extremely athletic actions.

McGrath has a simple action of economy and straight lines.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wonder how tall is Donald? 6'0? Because he too seemed to jump up real high for every delivery :o
Pretty certain he's quite a bit taller than that, without being an absolute giant of the McGrath\Caddick\Ambrose mould.

krkode

State Captain
Pretty certain he's quite a bit taller than that, without being an absolute giant of the McGrath\Caddick\Ambrose mould.
Yeah, I guess cricketers can be deceptively tall at times...

I once remember when the NZ team toured Hyderabad, where I lived, and I met a few of them like Vettori, Cairns and Drum and they were all friggin huge. Maybe that's cuz I'm smaller, but whatever...:ph34r:

kingkallis

International Coach
Yeah, I guess cricketers can be deceptively tall at times...

I once remember when the NZ team toured Hyderabad, where I lived, and I met a few of them like Vettori, Cairns and Drum and they were all friggin huge. Maybe that's cuz I'm smaller, but whatever...:ph34r:
Couple of days ago I met Cairns, Tuffey, Hall, Mongia @ Q'BA, Delhi and believe me, Cairns and Tuffey were giants....I myself am 6'0 so you can understand!