• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best & Worst Declarations

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'll just say this here, I really rate Clarke as a captain, very proactive with field placements and bowling changes and other important captain stuff. Must admit I wasn't entirely sure he'd be good when he took over, but he's very very good. Our best since Tubby.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I can't see the logic for anyone who tries to argue otherwise. Sure, 600 might have also produced a result - how can we ever know - but he took a punt and its proven to have paid off
Sorry, but I can't see how you can't see the logic!

Getting to 550 at the rate Wade and Hussey were going would've been easy.

I don't think enforcing the follow on would have been a good idea, but having extra runs would've meant less time was necessary in Aus's second innings and just less mucking around in general.

It worked out in the end, but that doesn't mean it was the best decision.

watson

Banned
I must admit I found the declaration a bit odd as 100+ runs were sacrificed so the Aussie bowlers could attack the Sri Lankan batsman for 5-6 overs just before tea, and then presumerably come back fresh again just after the tea interval.

However, the Hobart weather has been unpredictable with time lost during the match. So maybe Clarke was assuming bad weather and therefore wanted to break the back of the first Sri Lankan innings by the end of the second day in order to save time and ensure a result.

Michael Clarke may also be using some positive pyschology. By declaring the Australian innings before the tea interval the captain is saying to his bowlers - "I trust you".

And because Michael Clarke did trust his bowlers, and because they did win the game for Australia, then the psychological lift that Mitchell Stark now carries into the Boxing Day Test match must be substantial. From that aspect, Clarke's gamble has paid off - he now has a new ball pair bowling with skill and confidence.

Red

I don't think enforcing the follow on would have been a good idea, but having extra runs would've meant less time was necessary in Aus's second innings and just less mucking around in general.

It worked out perfectly, it was the best decision.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a complete load of ****e.

Starc took a five-fer. Therefore Sri Lanka were pretty much ****ed no matter how moronic Clarke's declaration was, and this one was about as moronic as you can get without reading some of the past few posts in this thread.

Red

Starc took a five-fer. Therefore Sri Lanka were pretty much ****ed no matter how moronic Clarke's declaration was, and this one was about as moronic as you can get without reading some of the past few posts in this thread.
Still gasping for air while you drown? Still trying to yell out "Clarke made a **** decision" as you sink under the weight of the fact that Australia won the test because of Clarke's excellent declaration in the first innings?

What's Starc's five-fer on day 5 got to do with anything that happened on day 2 anyhow?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

With your being able to reduce the timing of declarations down to pure mathematics, are you thinking of taking on the Vegas tables a la Rain Man?

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

:laugh: getting to self parody now.

M0rphin3

International Debutant

Good lawd :laugh:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't see the game today but how long was left at the end to force the win?

Would batting on for another 100 have left them short of time etc...

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

I'll show you the logic - they won. In the final session. Honestly, what other logic could anyone ask for in a sport where winning is the objective? I agree it doesn't make it the best decision, but to call the declaration moronic or anything else is beyond comprehension.

Although this Scaly bloke is sticking to his guns in being the posting equivalent of Ashley Giles bowling to a leg stump line with five men on the boundary. Good on him.

watson

Banned
Didn't see the game today but how long was left at the end to force the win?

Would batting on for another 100 have left them short of time etc...
Not really.

Instead of being bowled out for 278 in their second innings the Aussies may have instead declared at 150-200 in order to give themselves enough time during Day 4-5 to bowl the Sri Lankans out a second time.

Therefore, I can see where SP is coming from. A declaration during the first innings is pretty strange, and especially strange when it's made between lunch and tea with a bunch of wickets still in hand.

Last edited: