Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bouncers

Bouncers

How do you bowl them ? I have started to play cricket again (after 5 years) and have been making decent progress with my bowling except that I have been trying to bowl bouncers and have had little luck. I suspect that it has something to do with my action or when I release the ball.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Kev (Goughy) is the man tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    You're Indian, you can't bowl a proper bouncer.

Seriously speaking, I generally find I have to jump a little higher and kind of push myself down more to bowl a good bouncer. I am not a very tall man, and I'm sure my action is a mess, but usually I keep my wrist position up right, and release the ball slightly later than I would normally...kind of forcing the ball onto the pitch a little bit. Weird thing is, I aim for good length but because I release the ball a little later, it lands a bit short and ends up being a bouncer [or at least a passable approximation of a bouncer].

I'm sure Goughy can tell you the proper way to do it.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 24-05-2007 at 09:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I thought one needed to release the ball earlier than one normally would to bowl a bouncer, could be wrong though. Also I dont think you should be changing your action for any particular delivery.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    It's a hard question to answer actually. When I try to bowl pace (usually turns out to be slow crap), I don't have a problem adjusting my length to bowl shorter. I suspect it's just playing a lot that helps you get into that rhythm where adjusting your length isn't a big deal.

Just bang it in shorter and harder, always worked for me.
    Proudly supporting pink bat grips

The best FC player in the dev league

189 on debut

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash_A55 View Post

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Well I very rarely use bouncers, and surprisingly there quite hard I feel for Harold Larwood for having to bowl them every bowl of a test series. My technique for bouncers is to shorten my run up and just bang it short with all my power put into it. With my Malinga style action it's very hard to bowl bouncers so When I do bowl bouncers you can see it coming because I have to change my own action. I'm trying to master bouncers with the slinger action. Btw forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't often see Malinga bowl bouncers, so I suppose he might have the same problem as me, which is a bit reasuring.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_A55 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Not like that

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Btw I'm sorry if I'm getting on everyone's nerves going on about the Malinga action.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    The simple answer is just to keep the same action and just drop it a lot shorter. To do so you have to let go of the ball later than you would with a normal delivery. IE you hold on to the ball longer and drag it down way short of a length.

Depending on pace and height of the bowler the length required is different. Shorter bowlers have to make the ball bounce far closer to themselves than taller bowlers.

Its a delivery that needs to be practiced (to work out the exact lenght for yourself) in order to get the ball straight at the region between the heart and the head of the batsman.

Its also a tough delivery to practice as many nets are only half nets with a patch of grass between the bowlers delivery and the batting surface and that is often where the bouncer must land.

I would (if the facilities are available) take chalk to the nets and make a mark on the surface (where I want the ball to bounce for the bouncer) and work on hitting it regularly.

Sanz, as you are in the USA I would expect that you play on astro wickets. This is an advantage as its easier to bowl bouncers on astro than grass as there is more carry on that surface. On grass many times you have to have a lot of pace to get the ball to the required height.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    I thought one needed to release the ball earlier than one normally would to bowl a bouncer, could be wrong though. Also I dont think you should be changing your action for any particular delivery.
    No, because the ball has a shorter distance to travel before it hits the pitch. And I agree that you shouldn't change your action, but a slight difference really won't be noticeable to the type of batsman you and I would generally face.

Also, even at the international level, there is definitely a change in action as well, or at least the release point. If you look at McGrath, his awesome action hides the changes of length perfectly form the batsman (a major reason for his success), but it's still not exactly the same (though you'd need replays to see it).

Thanks everyone for the input, I will try those out and see how it goes.

Goughy, we do play some sort of turf which is bit different from Astro and offers less bounce than an Astro would. Also I wanted to ask was is there a particular grip that can help you hitting the ball harder.
    Last edited by Sanz; 24-05-2007 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    No, because the ball has a shorter distance to travel before it hits the pitch. And I agree that you shouldn't change your action, but a slight difference really won't be noticeable to the type of batsman you and I would generally face.
    Not really, Actually some of the batsmen are really good, back home they used to represent their university/State etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information