• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bouncers

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Every time I try to bowl a bouncer I end up getting a very good yorker going.
Its actually a very common problem. As both are effort balls the bouncer can easily come out as the yorker.

With the extra effort the ball can come out early as the action is being rushed and a bowler can deliver the perfect yorker.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wish I suffered from that! :( Often when I try and pitch full it comes out short for no apparent reason.

Don

State Vice-Captain
when i started playing bouncers and short balls were my stock ball. whats required is a lot of aggression u can also hold the ball deeper in your hand. bend ur back and hammer it in. that used to work for me pretty darn well too.

thierry henry

International Coach
It's funny, because I'm shortish but not excessively so (about 5'11''), and I have a pretty orthodox, upright action, but I've always struggled to get the ball to bounce. I only play indoor cricket these days, and we have guys in my team who are slower than me but seem to be able to bowl bouncers. When I bowl yorkers or even length balls I quite often beat (useless) batsmen for pace, but when I deliberately bang one in short it struggles to get to the other end and is sometimes on the way down by then. However, sometimes when trying to bowl full I have bowled a succession of completely accidental, but quite sharp bouncers. Go figure.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
How do you bowl them ? I have started to play cricket again (after 5 years) and have been making decent progress with my bowling except that I have been trying to bowl bouncers and have had little luck. I suspect that it has something to do with my action or when I release the ball.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. :)
I could not be bothered to read the whole thread but from what I have learned. At release, most people tend to have their top halves veer to one side. Make sure your head points doing and really drives into where you want to pitch it for the bouncer. Your body is more important than your arm with a bouncer and you must use it to add pace and bounce to the ball.