• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Qadir was better than Warne?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Normally, I like reading Karman Abbasi, but this blog entry just made me raise my eyebrows:

1. Warne was barely able to bowl a googly, Qadir had several.
What the heck? Warne could bowl a googly, and what does having or not having a single type of delivery have anything to do with being a better bowler? A bowler who can turn a ball more than Kumble does not mean he is better.

2. Umpires have become much more sympathetic towards legspinners over the last decade or so. Qadir had some of the plumbest decisions turned down for no better reason than the ball "might" spin. That rarely happens now and it makes the batsman's approach less sure and stay more uncomfortable.
Was too young in the eighties, so I can't speak to this.
3. Qadir had to battle the madness of Pakistan's cricket system and if Imran Khan had not supported him he might have been lost. Warne had the smartest cricket board behind him.
Again, what does have anything to do with how good of a bowler he is? Qadir might have had it harder, but that doesn't make him a better or worse bowler.

4. Warne played for the premier team of his age. Qadir began when Pakistan were nowhere and ended with Pakistan battling for the top spot.

5. Qadir had to bowl at the world's strongest batting team (West Indies), with great success too. Warne never had to.
Well, how did he do against the second best team in the world in Ashes 05 and 07? I really don't understand these lineups.

9. Scyld Berry, the incoming editor of Wisden Almanack: "It is impossible to believe that wrist-spin has ever been bowled better than Qadir did in his home city of Lahore in 1987-88, when he took 9 for 56 against England."

10. More from Scyld: "Graham Gooch, who faced him that day, said Qadir was even finer than Shane Warne, to whom he passed on the candle." Gooch faced both bowlers in their prime.
Again, even assuming he had one innings which (for the sake of argument) was the best innings ever bowled by a leg spinner...that alone does not make him a better spinner overall. Anyone can have a single great innings. Warne and Murali have both had countless.

Anyone else able to make any sense out of the article?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I read that the other day and to be honest, I thought it was an incredibly biased article written by Kamran Abbasi who seemed very unwilling to give Warne even the slightest of credit.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I think Abbasi has it wrong. Warne is simply better, no matter what logical criteria is used to compare the two. I do believe that Qadir is massively under-rated though. He did keep the art alive almost single-handedly during his time. And like Abbasi points out, he had success against the best batting line-up of the day, which also happened to be part of the most dominating team of the era. Qadir deserves more accolades than he gets IMO, but he's not in Warne's league.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I think Abbasi has it wrong. Warne is simply better, no matter what logical criteria is used to compare the two. I do believe that Qadir is massively under-rated though. He did keep the art alive almost single-handedly during his time. And like Abbasi points out, he had success against the best batting line-up of the day, which also happened to be part of the most dominating team of the era. Qadir deserves more accolades than he gets IMO, but he's not in Warne's league.
completely agree...top post...

grecian

Qadir was a genius, but gave too many four-balls, probably in an attempt to bowl many different types of delivery. Warne always kept the pressure on batsmen, there's no way Qadir could have strangled a batting line-up in the same way Warne did at Adelaide, for instance.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Agreed with every word. Its a bit surprising article from Kamran Abbasi. Normally he talks a lot of sense.

Son Of Coco

Hmm, where's Kamran Abbasi from? Were the West Indies the best players of spin at the time?

Slifer

International Captain
no they werent. But then again, Warne hasnt had much success against the best players of spin either (India). BTW Warne> Qadir

Son Of Coco

no they werent. But then again, Warne hasnt had much success against the best players of spin either (India). BTW Warne> Qadir
You're right, but player's on the subcontinent are generally better than elsewhere I'd imagine. I think it's a mute point anyway...I think Warne would be rated slightly higher.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What a load of crap. Abassi needs to see a shrink, he must have some bottled up issues.

C_C

International Captain
This is absouletely diabolical Kamran Abbasi deserves to be shot.
Personally, i'd like to see the likes of you re-admitted to kindergarten- people who'd take such a tone as you have, especially when concerning a simple exercise of whacking a ball with a wooden stick need to be educated in the concept of 'priorities' and civility.
Your school and parents obviously missed a trick or two in this regard.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Personally, i'd like to see the likes of you re-admitted to kindergarten- people who'd take such a tone as you have, especially when concerning a simple exercise of whacking a ball with a wooden stick need to be educated in the concept of 'priorities' and civility.
Your school and parents obviously missed a trick or two in this regard.
Subtleties of leg-spin nailed by C_C right there.