• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in South Africa

PY

International Coach
I dunno, the rumours that Rubble and your local friendly orang-utan share the same hairdresser must've started somewhere. :p

Isolator

State 12th Man
Saying "go back to the zoo" is a reference to the fans' behaviour more than anything else.
Yeah, but it very easily fits into the whole "animals/savages/uncivilised people" idea which has always been a part of (and associated with) racism. I'm not saying that was his intent, but when you use words like that you're making it easy for people to interpret them as racist.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Apparently Pakistani fans were racially abusing Harris, and Ntini got hit with a flag, and Gibbs was abusing someone or other..

So everyones abusing everybody really and nobody is in the right.. Makes a change

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
First : ****ing behaving like animals
Second: Bunch of Hyenas
First: ****ing go back to the Zoo
****ing Pakistanis
I wish people would get this 'racism' stuff right for a change.

There's no 'racial slur' in there. If the guys were all fat he'd have said ****ing fat b... if they were ginger it would have been ****ing ginger b... It's nothing to do with him being size-ist, hair colour-ist or anything. It's just something people say when you're referring to someone and you just go for the first distinctive thing you can think of.

By all means if he's going to get banned for saying that (which is an absolute joke really, but then it's a good distraction from the drugs cheat still playing from the point of view of the high-ups) then say he's banned for abusive behaviour or whatever, but instead we got all this racism sloblock from Chris Broad.

Still this is cricket today, Pakistan could have two proven drugs cheats playing in the next Test, SA are going to be without Gibbs because he mentioned the 'P' word as a method of description. Pathetic.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, but it very easily fits into the whole "animals/savages/uncivilised people" idea which has always been a part of (and associated with) racism. I'm not saying that was his intent, but when you use words like that you're making it easy for people to interpret them as racist.
Yup. I don't think that was his intent either, but the words themselves are, regardless of what Scaly thinks.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
As I was discussing with Neil, his punishment should have been a reprimand or something. Two games is harsh. The words are racist, but I do not think they were meant in that way, unlike Lehmann.

pakster

U19 12th Man
Regardless of whether the remarks had any racist intent, it is still most definitley unsportsman-like behaviour from gibs et al. Dealing with "abuse" is part and parcel of the game - apparently (and im going on hear say here), most of what was said in the crowd, was said in urdu. And im pretty sure the south africans players (with the exception of Amla, perhaps) dont speak the language. Though granted, abuse is abuse is abuse - whatever the language.

That assides, I don't actually think the remarks were racist. Just a reference to the "zoo like" behaviour of segments of the crowd - the last remark (f-ing pakistanis) was ill advised, but a slip of the tongue im sure - It's the equivalent to "f-ing POMS" or "f-ing Aussies" both of which wouldnt be deemed as racist.

An aplogy would have sufficed....but considering the (still?) racial unease in South African society coupled with the zero-tolerance towards racism in modern sport, a ban was always on the cards.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Holy ......, you were on SSMT? And you think Rog's here?

That was one hell of a site before John grew tired of all the crap in the forum...

Sorry for the OTness, btw.
*apologies for OT-ness here too*

Yup, I was on SSMT - and now on Rog's board (you do know about that, right?)

Was wondering if this Evermind is the same as the one there - he wrote reviews for SSMT too.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
As I was discussing with Neil, his punishment should have been a reprimand or something. Two games is harsh. The words are racist, but I do not think they were meant in that way, unlike Lehmann.
its upto the icc

even shoaib akhtar was banned for 1 match for retaliating to taunts by hall and smith and said **** off

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Good win by SA.

The Gibbs thing is a little sour. No doubt he was provoked, but his comments were uncalled for and the 2 game suspension seems fair.

I hope there is no appeal of the punishment and things can move on.

Its a bitter pill SA cricket must swallow, especially considering the concern and complaints they made during their last tour of Australia over racial comments.

Pakistani fans can be very expressive and exuberant, but that is no excuse for the comments made by Gibbs.

I hope he isn't thrown to the wolves over this and an apology and the suspension ends the matter.

Note- After watching the highlights, how strange was it to see Kanaria arguing with Bucknor over him giving 4 byes as the batsman had not played a shot. Shouldn't Kanaria be fully cognicent of the more basic rules?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I personally think Gibbs is being rather harshly done by; what he said was out of order, no doubt, but I really don't think it qualifies as racial abuse. I think reading it as such says more about deeply ingrained cultural connections between people of colour & animals. Even now in Spain & Italy black football players are subjected to monkey-noises from the crowds & over here not twenty years ago certain ****-witted English fans used to take bananas to pelt at John Barnes. Of course anyone with a brain would never dream of doing this, but we unfortunately do understand the reference.

A fine of a portion (or maybe even all of) his match fee would've sufficed for me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Shoaib got 1 game suspension for saying '**** off'. I think a similar suspension would have been fine. Though Murali got off with only a reprimand, so there is no consistency at all.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Shoaib got 1 game suspension for saying '**** off'. I think a similar suspension would have been fine. Though Murali got off with only a reprimand, so there is no consistency at all.
I think context is important. If Shoaib had told someone to eff off it's a graver offence than if he had just said it in exasperation. I'm not familiar with the incident to be honest.

Totally agree about consistency tho, it's one of my big bugbears.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Still this is cricket today, Pakistan could have two proven drugs cheats playing in the next Test, SA are going to be without Gibbs because he mentioned the 'P' word as a method of description. Pathetic.
True, true, and it pains me to agree with you.. However we march on 1-0 ahead, so hopefully Asif can put that in his pipe and smoke it