• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in South Africa

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
But wait I don't understand, wasn't he directing those insults at the fans who where swearing at Harris? :unsure:

Or was that just a cover-up, and he really meant to say it to the Pakistanis.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But wait I don't understand, wasn't he directing those insults at the fans who where swearing at Harris? :unsure:

Or was that just a cover-up, and he really meant to say it to the Pakistanis.
He was officially banned by the ICC for comments against the crowd, not any player.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
A few points:

- Nel is overrated as a bowler. His action's also rather awkward and he's just not good to watch. But he's entertaining, I'll give him that.

- Shoaid Akhtar is a chucker. Those who can't see it are burying their heads in the sand. He NEVER wears a short sleeved shirt while playing cricket - that in itself is an interesting fact. Also, he did NOT bowl at full speed in all the "tests" that were conducted - it was at less than 85% of his top speed. It is plain as daylight to be me that he chucks - have his apologists ever watched TV replays? This isn't a case of hyper-extension at all. It sickens me to see such cheats in cricket.

- "F****** Pakistanis" is NOT racial abuse. It is "national" abuse, if there's such a thing. Indians are the same race, generally, and so are the Bangladeshis. Gibbs didn't say anything about them, did he? Why are they classifying it all wrong?

What a joke it is that a player is banned for a couple of poorly chosen words while someone who took performance-enhancing drugs (unwillingly? right, give me a break) gets NOTHING. No ban, no warning, no nothing. This is turning cricket into a joke. Besides, Indians and Pakistanis use their languages all the time to talk in derogatory terms about other players - why isn't this punished?

- The Pakistan bowling, with cheats Asif and Chucktar in, is much, much better than India's. Gul, Asif, Akhtar, Kaneria...compared to Sreesanth, Khan, Kumble? It's pretty clear. I'm still not convinced that Khan is of international test standard, to be honest. The Pakistani team seem less talented than the Indian one at the moment, overall, but they're also less spineless, so their win percentage is higher. The Indian team has no self-respect, no respect for its supporters, no sense of pride and no balls, so they get beaten pretty much by any team - they're quite happy to earn their millions and not give a crap about fitness and such uncomfortable issues. New Zealand hardly have the population or the quality of talent Indian and Pakistan are blessed with, but they play with so much more heart.
Holes, Holes, Holes, I am so full of holes, come crucify me.
:laugh: Golden.

Got to agree with Evermind though. Shoaid Akhtar is just another charity rip-off. :thumbsup:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
He was officially banned by the ICC for comments against the crowd, not any player.
Oh, really, wow! If he was making it against the crowd, it that really something to be banned for.

But wait I am confused... if he was banned for the comments against the crowd why does it say...

"The ICC code prohibits using "...any language or gestures that offends, insults, humiliates, intimidates, threatens, disparages or vilifies another person on the basis of that person's race, religion, colour, descent or national or ethic origin". Gibbs's comments, believed to violate the code..." ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh, really, wow! If he was making it against the crowd, it that really something to be banned for.

But wait I am confused... if he was banned for the comments against the crowd why does it say...

"The ICC code prohibits using "...any language or gestures that offends, insults, humiliates, intimidates, threatens, disparages or vilifies another person on the basis of that person's race, religion, colour, descent or national or ethic origin". Gibbs's comments, believed to violate the code..." ?
"Herschelle Gibbs, the South African batsman, will miss the remainder of the series against Pakistan after being banned for two Tests by the ICC. Gibbs was charged under Level 3.3 of the ICC's Code of Conduct for making abusive comments about a section of the crowd, and his punishment was meted out at a hearing conducted by the match referee Chris Broad. He will also appear before a Cricket South Africa disciplinary committee on Tuesday ."

You can get banned regardless of where the comments are directed.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
"Herschelle Gibbs, the South African batsman, will miss the remainder of the series against Pakistan after being banned for two Tests by the ICC. Gibbs was charged under Level 3.3 of the ICC's Code of Conduct for making abusive comments about a section of the crowd, and his punishment was meted out at a hearing conducted by the match referee Chris Broad. He will also appear before a Cricket South Africa disciplinary committee on Tuesday ."

You can get banned regardless of where the comments are directed.
Lol, okay so he got banned for making those comments about a section of the crowd... but what is that got to do with him making racist slurs directed at the Pakistanis?

Evermind

International Debutant
****ing Pakistanis are like a bunch of bloody animals. They should ****ing go back to the zoo.

Slightly different, no? But you wouldn't want to let something like facts get in the way.
MMmmm...not that different? I'm looking at the facts - perhaps you're the one extrapolating a little too far?

1) Gibbs is himself coloured. Anything is possible, but him making "racist" comments would make very little sense. He's playing with Amla, who's of the same race as the Pakistanis.

2) Pakistan is a country. It's not a race. Look at Lehmann's comment "black c****" - that's definitely racist, because it refers to the specific colour of a certain people. If he had said "f****** Sri Lankans", I doubt it would've caused such a furor. Animals, zoo....that would've been debatable, depending on the context. See below.

3) If an Australian were to say "F****** Poms, go back to the f******* zoo", and people called him racist, that'd be ********, no? I'm sure that there've been players who've used "f******" before Aussie or Kiwi or something - that's certainly not racist, is it? If you're loud, boorish, drunk, etc, you're acting like an animal - many in the Australian crowd act like animals when drunk, and are frequently evicted. I've myself used that term when looking at crowd behaviour of my own race at some sporting events. It's silly to call me racist.

I think Gibbs should be given the benefit of the doubt - he himself is coloured, and has other people of the same race in his team, so he was probably referring to the country of origin of the people waving flags around. As the teams are Country vs Country, it would make sense. So yeah, he was directing abuse at the crowd for which he should be reprimanded, but it's hardly "OMG racism what a racist guy listen to those racist slurs tut tut" and it's definitely nothing like the Lehmann comment.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lol, okay so he got banned for making those comments about a section of the crowd... but what is that got to do with him making racist slurs directed at the Pakistanis?
It is possible to be both a Pakistani and be a member of the crowd. That is not mutually exclusive. :laugh:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sad India didn't create uproar over Kallis abusing an Indian player with Indian in the end. If not any thing, maybe we would have won a historic series in South Africa?

Nah, India will always find a way to lose.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Fair enough Gibbs' banning, he should have known better.. but when the druggie little excuse of a cricketer gets away with it, it makes you wonder about the ICC's priorities, and what they consider to be the worse offence..

Good win by SA by the way, I guess you can never have a test against Pakistan without a bit of controversy..

Evermind

International Debutant
Yikes! That's pretty sick. Urgh.

But yeah, as Michael Holding has said, as have others, his chucking has nothing to do with the hyper-extension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ikt7_e4Br0

Many players have hyper-extension - they're clearly not chuckers, though.

The team has a history of cheating, though, and ICC has a history of pushing it under the rug, so I'm not terribly surprised. Sure, the Aussies also have the philosophy of "victory at any cost", but they do it within the legal limits of the game, and respect the rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocgrjx6IirY&mode=related&search=

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
What was Gibbs full comments?

It said on the cricinfo report that he said "****ing animals" but he must have said more than that to get banned surely?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What was Gibbs full comments?

It said on the cricinfo report that he said "****ing animals" but he must have said more than that to get banned surely?
First : ****ing behaving like animals
Second: Bunch of Hyenas
First: ****ing go back to the Zoo
****ing Pakistanis

Barney Rubble

International Coach
First : ****ing behaving like animals
Second: Bunch of Hyenas
First: ****ing go back to the Zoo
****ing Pakistanis
In all fairness, I'm still not sure he meant any of this in a racial way, aside from the last part obviously. Saying "go back to the zoo" is a reference to the fans' behaviour more than anything else.

I got told the other day at work by a (white) guest that myself and my colleagues "belonged in the zoo", and none of them took it racially, despite being of different nationalities. We were just offended 'cause it was completely unjustified. :@