• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team's alltime XI is best?

Which alltime XI would enjoy the most success against its counterparts?

• Total voters

Bouncer

State Regular
What Nonsense. First you question my knowledge and then question my intent. This is
not a Gupshup or Pakistanimedia and you will not be applauded for this sort of response.

If Qadir were world Class I would have said so. England have produced much better spinners than Qadir and have very clear advantage in that department with lot of options as opposed Pakistan having only Qadir.
Simply Coz they both are Questionable

again if i am the only one who thinks Qadir is World class than it could be favorism but you havent even said a word in reply to this

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1267333&postcount=67

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Simply Coz they both are Questionable
They Simply are not and just shallow assumptions of your shallow nature who looks everything from India-Pakistan perspective. If I thought Qadir was better than the English Spinners I would have said so, regardless of the country he played for and regardless of the country I support.

again if i am the only one who thinks Qadir is World class than it could be favorism but you havent even said a word in reply to this
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/show...3&postcount=67
And I am not the only one who thinks that Qadir was not World Class or anywhere close to the Great English Spinners whose performance you seem to disregard by giving various excuses.

And I am not obligated to respond to every post on this issue especially if it sounds like heresay. The person didn't make a claim credible enough to deserve a response. I dont trust his statement and would like to see the video that puts Qadir ahead of the likes of O'Reilly, Grimmet, Benaud, Laker etc before offering any credibility to that post by responding to it.

Dissector

International Debutant
The Windies. I am amongst those who are pretty skeptical that Bradman would have coped with the modern game particularly the quicks. I think Greg Chappell and Steve Waugh would be the best Aussie batsmen against the quicks.

As good as the actual Windies attack of the early 80's was, I think the hypothetical one with Ambrose added to Marshall, Garner, and the Holding of the late 70's would be utterly devastating. Even the all-time Aussie batting would struggle IMO.

As for the Australian bowling, Lillee and McGrath would be evenly matched with the Windies top order but Warne wouldn't be much of a factor . His actual record against the Windies is mediocre and this batting lineup with Richards and Sobers would be far better than any Windies batting he ever faced.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well look at Trueman. He burst on the scene a couple years after after Bradman and retired 4-5 years before Chappell.

And I am sure there were a couple people who were playing FC cricket from the Bradman era to the Chappell era (and there might have been someone who played with both). Surely the game didn't change that much in the span of that one person that a Chappell with a 50-odd average would be somehow superior to a guy with 99.94?

JBMAC

State Captain
One thing I find amusing about the Poll,and I feel Fiery will be amused too, is that the team with the "so called best bowler in the world" ie SL has absolutely NO votes.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
One thing I find amusing about the Poll,and I feel Fiery will be amused too, is that the team with the "so called best bowler in the world" ie SL has absolutely NO votes.
He is the best bowler in the world, but you do need to score some runs to win games. And someone has to bowl from the other side that won't ****e the place up.

bagapath

International Captain
Did u read my post completely, i said not that Qadir had Hawk Eye as umpire and that means that not all of qadir's decision are fair

U people surprise me how your personal inferiority complex for losing to Pak over generations results in coming up with such statements....read below

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1267333&postcount=67
what load of nonsense!!! all for saying a mediocre leggie who had a strike rate of 72 and averaged 47 away from home does not belong in the elite class of spinners? you need some serious soul searching dude. discuss cricket here. dont use this forum to vent out your pent up aggression to a non existent enemy.

coming back to cricket why do you think qadir belongs in the pantheon of great spinners? make a case that'll put him on par with oreilly, grimmett, laker, warne and murali!

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Voted for Sri Lanka just because I felt that they should definitely not be any lower than Bangers.

There also seems to be a lot of argument around and constant use of the 'Don' factor. For all we know Murali could've made a right bunny out of him.

Different ages XI's are all kinds of silly.
You could do the best in an era but with all the changes that have come to the game.... :unsure:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
On the BBC video, I did research quite a bit on the 'net trying to nail it down...no luck.

Therefore was hesitant to mention it, but did so only to check if perhaps there were others here who may have viewed it. Got it from library.

It was chronological in order, starting with black and white footage.

Showed mostly 1-2 delivery per bowler due to time restraint.
Recall seeing Mailey demonstrating his art to youngsters, on-lookers.

O'Reilly's action is permanently etched in my brain cells. Whirling, twirling aggression.
Other greats and not-so-greats were also featured. Ind spinners, Lindwall, Laker, Lillee etc

At the end, the author (IIRC Frith, English for sure) gave a synopsis, then selected Barnes, Lindwall and Qadir as his 3 best.

I know it's a leap of faith to accept my word (and it's OK if you choose not to), but if anyone has access to old English cricket videos (library ?), perhaps one could find it.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
On the BBC video, I did research quite a bit on the 'net trying to nail it down...no luck.

Therefore was hesitant to mention it, but did so only to check if perhaps there were others here who may have viewed it. Got it from library.

It was chronological in order, starting with black and white footage.

Showed mostly 1-2 delivery per bowler due to time restraint.
Recall seeing Mailey demonstrating his art to youngsters, on-lookers.

O'Reilly's action is permanently etched in my brain cells. Whirling, twirling aggression.
Other greats and not-so-greats were also featured. Ind spinners, Lindwall, Laker, Lillee etc

At the end, the author (IIRC Frith, English for sure) gave a synopsis, then selected Barnes, Lindwall and Qadir as his 3 best.

I know it's a leap of faith to accept my word (and it's OK if you choose not to), but if anyone has access to old English cricket videos (library ?), perhaps one could find it.
I don't agree, but that's fascinating that he chose that. Incidentally, when picking his Greatest XI, none other than Richie Benaud chose Qadir as one of his three greatest ever spinners - or at least, one of his three nominations for the spinners position in the team (his argument being that he would always take a leggie over an offie).

Then again, as much as I love Richie, he did also pick a top 6 fast bowlers without a single West Indian.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
People talk about how Bradman supposedly didn't cope with Bodyline, but the toughest part to combat wasn't only the bouncers, but the ridiculous fields that accompanied them. I mean, you try running around and blasting bouncers aimed at your skull through cover. And don't think that the Poms wouldn't have been smart enough to follow him. And yet with all this "struggling", he still averaged 50. The guy was a complete freak.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The Windies. I am amongst those who are pretty skeptical that Bradman would have coped with the modern game particularly the quicks..
Has i've always said when this point has been made (which has been mentioned in this thread already) we don't know how the windies pace battery would have coped with Bradman?.

What occured in the bodyline series gives us the only possible indidcation of how he may have gone if his career had occured over the past 30 years. But the thing is with Bradman he was more dominant than any batsman in any era of cricket that he probably would not have averaged 99 if he has faced some of the quality attacks over the past 30 years no but he would be able to cope since their was definately something special about his batting.

Its like what happened to Australia in the ashes. For a decade the Australian batsmen had bullied & dominated mediocre opposition attacks all over the world & when the finally met an attack with some quality & skill they struggle not because they weren't good enough, but because they weren't used to it after such a long time. Same with Bradman he might stuggle intially (has was shown in the bodyline series) but he would be good enough to be a dominant player in any era.

As good as the actual Windies attack of the early 80's was, I think the hypothetical one with Ambrose added to Marshall, Garner, and the Holding of the late 70's would be utterly devastating. Even the all-time Aussie batting would struggle IMO..
True, (not to make it sound as if i'm trying to say that i think Australia All-time was better)but an aussie attack with any combination of Lillee/Lindwall/McGrath/Davidson/Miller/Warne/O'Reilly would certainly be able to return the favour to the West Indies. So that even things out a bit.

As for the Australian bowling, Lillee and McGrath would be evenly matched with the Windies top order.
Thats a very bold statement yo

but Warne wouldn't be much of a factor . His actual record against the Windies is mediocre and this batting lineup with Richards and Sobers would be far better than any Windies batting he ever faced.[/QUOTE]

Thats crazy even during Windies glorious 20 year dominance spinners not even half of Warne's class except for Qadir caused Australia problems.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1984-85/WI_IN_AUS/WI_AUS_T5_30DEC1984-02JAN1985.html

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1986-87/WI_IN_PAK/WI_PAK_T1_24-29OCT1986.html

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1987-88/WI_IN_IND/WI_IND_T4_11-15JAN1988.html

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1988-89/WI_IN_AUS/WI_AUS_T4_26-30JAN1989.html

Yea you would have to add Sobers, Lara & Headley to an all-time XI, but these examples show that of if these spinners can cause the windies problems imagine what Warne & O'reilly could do if they got an helpful surface.

And it must be added even though Warne's test record vs the windies is statiscally very mediocre would know that due to alot of factors. When he made his debut againts them in 92 he had that superb 7 wicket haul but he really was a novice then, but when he became a superstar & returned in the 95 & 96/97 series when the windies were still a decent side his record was very good. From then on he had a trouble series in 99 because of the shoulder injury he suffered which severly limited his effectiveness & he missed than 2000/01 & 2003 series due to injury & suspension.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Are people serious when they mention Justin Langer in the all time Australian team? Absolutely crazy IMO..