• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Elite Panel

Should elite umpires be allowed to umpire in home Tests?

• Yes

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • No

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • Yes but only one home umpire

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Only in certain countries

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

open365

International Vice-Captain
I reckon any umpire should be allowed to umpire in any test match simple as that.

I cannot belive than any umpire would be biased towards his home nation what so ever.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i also voted no. Not because I think they'd be biased but because it would save a lot of accusations of bias if they made a tiny mistake.

Mecnun

U19 Debutant
Those who believe neutral umpires do not have any bias whatsoever are deluded and those that believe all home umpires have a bias are equally delusional.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Funny how little talk this thread got in its day (though the non-public poll is a disappointment). I bump it now in the hope that there might be some more discussion of the issue.

(I'm against Umpires standing in any Test involving their team, home or away, myself. Even if bias is only actually in existence in a tiny minority of cases, the suspicion is always there and makes any error that much harder to take)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Every wrong decision would be tainted with accusation of bias. That's too much pressure on the umpire, and yet another thing that could distract from the sport.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What are the positives? I really can't think of any other than "to avoid discrimination". We have a large panel of umpires from various different countries - there's no need to go down this avenue for mine and it would accomplish absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't be outraged if it happened as such, but I can see absolute no reason to allow it and the negatives are obvious.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There is no logial reason to allow it. Opens up many potential issues without a single benefit.

Precambrian

Banned
An overwhelming "YES"!!! Because,

1. One home umpire stands in every ODI match except WC matches. And so far we haven't been plagued with "umpiring controversies".

2. People like Simon Taufel, has been constantly on tour, even more than an average player, and hardly gets to spend time with his kith an kin. One home umpire per test match can take away that disincentive.

3. After the current test series, Referrals will come into place which would take a lot pf decision making pressure from the on-field guys anyway. SO a possibly wrong decision can be corrected instantly, regardless of the neutrality of the umpires.

So, ICC should allow atleast one home umpire.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Would be 100% against it. As some posters have already mentioned, any wrong decisions that an umpire would make that were in favour of the home side would end up in allegations of bias ect and that really isn't what the game needs.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Voted no. And was going to argue no. But I think I've been persuaded to change my mind by Pnottath. Good arguments mate

Precambrian

Banned
Voted no. And was going to argue no. But I think I've been persuaded to change my mind by Pnottath. Good arguments mate
Thanks mate.

I dont know why no umpires from India have made into the Elite category. Surely there are some better than the tried-and-failed Asoka DeSilva right? (No offence to any SL fans).