• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Tour Squad for Australia

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Right, so now you're saying he's not a number 3 yet his only ever success was at number 3, or was that because of the luck/bowling/pitch that contributed to the 3 tons.

He's never looked like deserving a "proper crack at the whip" and since he was dropped in 2009 hasn't done anything in FC cricket to justify forcing his way back in.

Keep him where he is, the ODI side/squad and he should be happy that he at least has that.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
What I was saying from the start was that Bopara has never been given a fair crack of the whip. I don't think that's wrong as he hasn't. End of.

I'm not talking about stats, figures, 100s whatever. He just hasn't been told "heres a minimum of 8 tests, batting at 6, go out and don't worry about being dropped, just be yourself".

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Well Bell and Trott were the 2 mentioned originally and I think it's safe to say that they have.
other players at number 6.

England are 5/6 batsmen confirmed, right?

of the contenders for the 6th spot, who has solidified their position?

I do think that Taylor and others have more of a right of trial than Bopara, but I don't think that he should be completely out of the picture given that noone has produced the goods as of yet.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How many players play tests, get dropped, do well in odis then get picked for tests again and do well? Can't think think of any atm.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The point is, scoring runs in ODIs is what was expected of him when he was picked in the ODI side. He's not gone above and beyond the call of duty by doing that or proven the selectors wrong in any way. He proved them right ffs; he's supposed to do that. If he wants to get back in the Test side then he's going to need to score some bloody Championship runs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd love to know if any England player's been given that sort of guarantee of a protected (relatively easy) spot in recent times. I'd bet that they haven't done so so why should this one particular person be given it when he's done nothing to show he's deserving of a spot at all, let alone such a protected spot.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
We will have to agree to disagree.

As it is, I think England will go with your way of thinking anyway. He might be in the squad but I can't see him playing in the first test match.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Don't get me wrong I'm not convinced or even sure I would pick Bopara in the Australia squad but that is the same of all the other potential options to bat at number 6. That's the problem for England.
And that's the point, isn't it. And if KP does call it a day after the next Ashes, we're looking for another number 4 or 5 as well. Apparently we've all written off Bairstow, we know all about Bopara's failings, Stokes looks a year or two short of where he needs to be for test cricket, Compton's out of favour so Root's opening, etc, etc. Maybe Taylor will be the answer, and/or maybe Ballance. Whoever it is will probably need a decent run in the side to find his feet at this level. We certainly can't keep giving people a handful of tests and moving on because they don't immediately look a million dolars.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The point is, scoring runs in ODIs is what was expected of him when he was picked in the ODI side. He's not gone above and beyond the call of duty by doing that or proven the selectors wrong in any way. He proved them right ffs; he's supposed to do that. If he wants to get back in the Test side then he's going to need to score some bloody Championship runs.
The ODI side clearly isn't just picked as the best one day players. Your point would be sound if the selectors didn't treat the team like the Lions.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He might've scored more runs than they were expecting tbf

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bopara isn't good enough as a long term solution. He does however have a role to play. Every team needs a reservoir of experienced talent that can be dropped in when an injury happens etc. Bopara, at this stage of his career, doesn't deserve a long run in the team. But if there is an injury for 1 Test I would rather a player with experience but limited upside be dropped in than a potential one cap wonder and have their career scuppered early. Bopara or Morgan fill this role as a short term stop gap but not as an investment in the future.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Bopara isn't good enough as a long term solution. He does however have a role to play. Every team needs a reservoir of experienced talent that can be dropped in when an injury happens etc. Bopara, at this stage of his career, doesn't deserve a long run in the team. But if there is an injury for 1 Test I would rather a player with experience but limited upside be dropped in than a potential one cap wonder and have their career scuppered early. Bopara or Morgan fill this role as a short term stop gap but not as an investment in the future.
Taking that to it's logical conclusion, you'd be taking one of them to Aus if only as cover for injury or complete loss of form.

Can't say I disagree.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The ODI side clearly isn't just picked as the best one day players. Your point would be sound if the selectors didn't treat the team like the Lions.
You've said this a lot recently, but I'm not sure I really agree. How many selections in the last few years do you think have been entirely on a development process? Overton likely is, but I'm really struggling to think of any others. Root you could maybe argue, but he gunned it from the word go and was in the test squad for that India tour as well. Woakes usually played for balance purposes, when we enjoyed playing four quicks and Bresnan wasn't available.

I think we have to be careful to not just go by old perceptions. England have been quite successful since the last World Cup, so I think it's pretty rough to be giving the selectors grief about not picking the best possible side in their view. They're regularly been vindicated with results.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Does anyone think that there's any realistic chance of anybody other than Bairstow going as reserve keeper?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Selectors do like Jos as a general rule, tbf.

Never quite convinced in an England shirt yet tho and I say that as a fan.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Selectors do like Jos as a general rule, tbf.

Never quite convinced in an England shirt yet tho and I say that as a fan.
I'm actually convinced it's partly because they think he could be a really decent gloveman, he makes mistakes, but he reminds me more of a young Prior, I think he has the ability and the instincts. One of the Reasons I would rather have him at Somerset than CK is that kiesweter has worked with top coaches for a while now, but still makes basic mistakes, Jos looks to have more about him with the gloves.