• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at the MCG

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I will be there and I hope to witness the following:

- Twatto golden duck
- Clarke golden duck
- KP ton
- Hussey ton
- Another epic Johnson spell

Not much to ask.

aussie tragic

International Captain
I'd take the same team into Melbourne....something about pick your best 4 bowlers rather than 3 + token spinner...Watto, Smith and Clarke can cover if the 4 quicks need a break...

If Ponting is injured, Khawaja has to get the call....so team would be

Watson
Hughes
Ponting (Khawaja)
Clarke
Hussey
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Hilfenhaus

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd take the same team into Melbourne....something about pick your best 4 bowlers rather than 3 + token spinner...Watto, Smith and Clarke can cover if the 4 quicks need a break...

If Ponting is injured, Khawaja has to get the call....so team would be

Watson
Hughes
Ponting (Khawaja)
Clarke
Hussey
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Yeah AWTA. I'd think about bringing Dougey in for Siddle or Hilfenhaus if he proved his fitness/rhythm but that's not gonna happen.

Jacknife

International Captain
I wonder if England are going to stick or twist with the team, I think Flower will probably put this down to that usual once a series poor batting performance and a good bowling performance by Johnson and keep the same team. Colly is a really worry now , but I doubt he would get replaced by morgan. The other would be Finn who has been expensive, I wish Broad was still here and injury free because Temlett, Broad and Anderson would be a good seam attack, who don't give too many runs and take wickets.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wonder if England are going to stick or twist with the team, I think Flower will probably put this down to that usual once a series poor batting performance and a good bowling performance by Johnson and keep the same team. Colly is a really worry now , but I doubt he would get replaced by morgan. The other would be Finn who has been expensive, I wish Broad was still here and injury free because Temlett, Broad and Anderson would be a good seam attack, who don't give too many runs and take wickets.
There's virtually no way England will change the team for Melbourne IMO. If they go 2-1 down we may see Panesar or Bresnan in for Collingwood at Sydney but I think even that's very unlikely now that Broad is out.

Jacknife

International Captain
There's virtually no way England will change the team for Melbourne IMO. If they go 2-1 down we may see Panesar or Bresnan in for Collingwood at Sydney but I think even that's very unlikely now that Broad is out.
No I don't think so either, knowing how Flower & Strauss work, they'll put this behind them and move on.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Shahzad in for Finn, IMHO. With Tremmers in the team Finn's skillset is covered and Ajmal brings in pace, reverse and (potentially) runs down the order.

JBH001

International Regular
Never seen Shahzad bowl but he surely can't be worse than Finn who bowls so much tripe so often.

Gus Fraser must be raging.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think if Ponting is fit to play, Khawaja should be brought in for Smith as I don't recall the MCG assisting spinners that much.. it's more a pace-friendly wicket IIRC. Batting order will have to be reshuffled, but Australia should go in with their 6 best batsmen and 4 best bowlers IMO. Relying too heavily on Watson, Hussey and Haddin to score runs at the moment.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah no need for us to panic that is for sure. Bell should go to five and there is certainly a case for dropping Collingwood but think it is very unlikely.

Would not object to Finn being replaced, I am a big fan of his and all things considered I think he has done pretty well this series but the guy is still very young and he probably needs a rest anyway. Only problem is that I still don't think Bresnan can really cut it as part of a four man attack, Shazhad is a better option but still represents just as much a risk as Finn in terms of the likelihood of being expensive.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Finn's FC economy is almost 10% higher. Not sure how much you can read into that but he kept it tight against Aus A IIRC and also for the first innings against Vic

JBH001

International Regular
The other issue for Strauss and Flower is Swann. Hussey has a real ascendancy over him and it seems to have spooked him.

I don't think he has bowled all that well on this tour apart from the second innings at Adelaide. But with 4 bowlers, Swann needs to step up otherwise it is too much pressure on Anderson and Tremlett (Anderson especially who may just bowl himself into the ground come Sydney if Swann isn't able to hold up an end effectively in the tests to come).