Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 185

Thread: Michael "Frosty" Beer

  1. #76
    International 12th Man Rant0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Country West Australia
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    even though Nathan was poor in India but his performances in the last Ashes and last home summer surely meant he should have been starting atleast the first 3 tests.
    Short memories, Hauritz doesn't seem to have to do much wrong really, he's a bit unfashionable, perhaps he should consider a blonde streak ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    The funny thing is that he would probably offer the team more, he's an outstanding first slipper a very astute captain and at times he can be a handy batsman, not much of a spin bowler though but who is these days?
    He'd fit right in haha

    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I hope he's not basing that on Johnson getting 100 and taking 5 wickets for WA, but scoring 0 and taking 0 wickets in Brisbane. There's a huge gap in consistency between what Johnson does ball-to-ball when he's bowling.
    Not sure what you can base it on then, but he is rather erratic yes

    Quote Originally Posted by CricKeith View Post
    Of course Shane Warne's going to say he likes beer!

    I think there was a bit of a mix-up in communication.


    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Yeah the selection of Beer is pretty damn bizarre, but I just can't force myself to believe the decision has been made with any serious thought going into it. Now that Doherty has come and gone (and failed), you have to wonder what the reasoning was behind that decision. The main reason I can think of was because of his good performance against the Sri Lanka's in the ODI's (and perhaps the alleged left-arm orthodox advantage he poses over Pietersen). You have to ask, is that a good reason to debut someone in the Ashes? It clearly isn't, and many on CW condemned the decision (which turned out to be justified). If that kind of reasoning is being used, then it is only natural to doubt whether this decision about Beer is any more sound. The fact that Warne backed him out of the blue (with some pretty biased justification mind you), and then the selectors suddenly chose him, seems too much of a coincidence to me. However, I am with you, in that I hope he does well in Perth, and that the reason for his selection had more substance behind it...
    Not sure about this fixation on using a left arm spinner just because Pietersen supposedly struggles against them, he's just one batsmen, use Clarke if that's the case, he's no worse than Doherty, then you're not hedging your bets against one batsman

  2. #77
    International Coach morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dishing out broken ****ing floggings
    Posts
    11,196
    5-0

    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

    Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

  3. #78
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,729
    As a rule Australia has always preferred spinners who take the ball away from right handers.

    That's why I'm backing myself for Melbourne.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  4. #79
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    still scratching around in the same old hole
    Posts
    15,180
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    The selectors have obviously selected Beer by looking at him play and liking what they see. I certainly wouldn't have done the same, however I've seen SFA of him, whereas they, presumably, have had a few good looks at him and liked his game.

    Seeing him live > Looking at his cricinfo page and passing judgment.
    Maybe but its hard to get away from the fact that a lot of people have seen him play many times and he hasnt exactly been selected for a lot of FC cricket. Those that have been watching him for years have not been picking him for FC cricket and he hasnt done anything to prove them wrong.

    Picking an unproven club cricketer that has never done anything at the level below Tests is strange. Im loving it from an Englishmans POV

    What is the under/over on his Test career? Ill set the line at 2 Tests.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net


  5. #80
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Maybe but its hard to get away from the fact that a lot of people have seen him play many times and he hasnt exactly been selected for a lot of FC cricket. Those that have been watching him for years have not been picking him for FC cricket and he hasnt done anything to prove them wrong.
    The funny thing is, he probably would've been selected for Victoria last season had Australian Cricket not put pressure on them to pick Jon Holland.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  6. #81
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    The funny thing is, he probably would've been selected for Victoria last season had Australian Cricket not put pressure on them to pick Jon Holland.
    That was another interesting thing to come out of this selection - most people knows that it happens but it's generally not admitted

  7. #82
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Maybe but its hard to get away from the fact that a lot of people have seen him play many times and he hasnt exactly been selected for a lot of FC cricket. Those that have been watching him for years have not been picking him for FC cricket and he hasnt done anything to prove them wrong.

    Picking an unproven club cricketer that has never done anything at the level below Tests is strange. Im loving it from an Englishmans POV

    What is the under/over on his Test career? Ill set the line at 2 Tests.
    If he plays, one Test for mine.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  8. #83
    Bun
    Bun is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Under the tree
    Posts
    3,116
    Australian cricket is a rudderless ship now. People comparing this team to the one which Allan Border inherited forget the fact that back then Allan was new, fresh and most importantly him and the guys around him had a vision, a vision which was shared and nurtured so brilliantly that it saw Australia dominate World cricket for the next two decades. There was a conscious effort to shed the vestiges of past, earmark a core of 5-6 and give them as much support as possible and thereby ensure a stable team developed around these guys.

    However, at the moment, I can't see any such long term vision governing the thoughts of the men at the helm now. They have a captain who is fading quite rapidly, and a bunch of reluctant, insecure chaps around him. Australia really needs to go in for a massive overhaul if they indeed want to harbour thoughts of being at the top again. They need to start right at the top. Ponting must go as a captain. He has had his chances and has shown that without the services of the legends, he is no good as a leader. He can go back and concentrate on his batting, which I believe will be priceless if he manages to find a second wind. At the moment his plate is overflowing with rotten stuff.

  9. #84
    U19 Cricketer Oscillatingmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    421
    I'm suprised the Beer selection actually shocked me after the X one.
    With much love & smiles.

  10. #85
    Cricketer Of The Year Adamc's Avatar
    Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    in the wind, so to speak
    Posts
    9,129

    As you know, the key to victory is the element of surprise. Surprise!
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

  11. #86
    International Regular stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    aus
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamc View Post

    As you know, the key to victory is the element of surprise. Surprise!
    In the game of cricket you can never let your opponent see your players.

  12. #87
    U19 Debutant joels344's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    America
    Posts
    317

  13. #88
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,635
    Haha, I love that blog. I disagree with the vast majority of his cricket views to varying degrees but **** that guy is funny.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  14. #89
    State Vice-Captain JBMAC's Avatar
    Mahjong Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Qld/Australia
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Maybe but its hard to get away from the fact that a lot of people have seen him play many times and he hasnt exactly been selected for a lot of FC cricket. Those that have been watching him for years have not been picking him for FC cricket and he hasnt done anything to prove them wrong.

    Picking an unproven club cricketer that has never done anything at the level below Tests is strange. Im loving it from an Englishmans POV

    What is the under/over on his Test career? Ill set the line at 2 Tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Australian cricket is a rudderless ship now. People comparing this team to the one which Allan Border inherited forget the fact that back then Allan was new, fresh and most importantly him and the guys around him had a vision, a vision which was shared and nurtured so brilliantly that it saw Australia dominate World cricket for the next two decades. There was a conscious effort to shed the vestiges of past, earmark a core of 5-6 and give them as much support as possible and thereby ensure a stable team developed around these guys.

    However, at the moment, I can't see any such long term vision governing the thoughts of the men at the helm now. They have a captain who is fading quite rapidly, and a bunch of reluctant, insecure chaps around him. Australia really needs to go in for a massive overhaul if they indeed want to harbour thoughts of being at the top again. They need to start right at the top. Ponting must go as a captain. He has had his chances and has shown that without the services of the legends, he is no good as a leader. He can go back and concentrate on his batting, which I believe will be priceless if he manages to find a second wind. At the moment his plate is overflowing with rotten stuff.
    Just a quick reminder about the aussie selectors......Do you remember "Peter Who" ?
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

  15. #90
    U19 Cricketer
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Australian cricket is a rudderless ship now. People comparing this team to the one which Allan Border inherited forget the fact that back then Allan was new, fresh and most importantly him and the guys around him had a vision, a vision which was shared and nurtured so brilliantly that it saw Australia dominate World cricket for the next two decades. There was a conscious effort to shed the vestiges of past, earmark a core of 5-6 and give them as much support as possible and thereby ensure a stable team developed around these guys.

    However, at the moment, I can't see any such long term vision governing the thoughts of the men at the helm now. They have a captain who is fading quite rapidly, and a bunch of reluctant, insecure chaps around him. Australia really needs to go in for a massive overhaul if they indeed want to harbour thoughts of being at the top again. They need to start right at the top. Ponting must go as a captain. He has had his chances and has shown that without the services of the legends, he is no good as a leader. He can go back and concentrate on his batting, which I believe will be priceless if he manages to find a second wind. At the moment his plate is overflowing with rotten stuff.

    aye. this is absolutely true. when you get past the "he should be picked" or "drop him" talk, its clear that there is no team vision, unity, strucutre or planning.

    i dont think ive seen a more pitiful disharmonious (is that a word?) team.
    7 insecure blokes in the 11, no vision, standing for nothing.

    ponting , hildichh, neilsen seriously need to go. they are sorry visionless, stubborn expletives. ponting is a great batsman, but it takes far more than that to be a captain. he just does not have what it takes. hes not a leader of men, far from it.

    any win they get in this series is purely a fluke, or a 'quick fix' type thing. its been looking this way for a couple of year, since probably the SA series in aus. no harmony in the team, it was only getting by on raw talents like jonson or great batsmanship by ponting.

    for this team to be successful or on any type of path of long term success, neilsen ponting hildich n co need to GO.
    a completely new selection panel and routine needs to be set up, where we try and pick the 6 best batsman, 4 best bowlers, and best keeper in the country, and go from there.

    it would look something like this

    phil hughes
    opener/hussey (Would be beneficial if he could open, as no other opener is screaming out, and watto is a middle order)
    ponting (for now he is still among the best)
    watson
    clarke
    khawaja
    haddin
    okeefe
    harris
    jonson (if he fixes it)
    -any quickie who starts performing regularly.

    ponting cannot be captain. clarke or haddin captain.
    when ponting goes, maybe bring whole lineup up and smith at 6? if he proves he can average 40.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Michael Jackson dies
    By Lillian Thomson in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 296
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 08:37 AM
  2. Michael Vaughan- Jekyll and Hyde?
    By GuyFromLancs in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 06:41 PM
  3. Mystery Draft V.2 (1989-2009)
    By Mupariwa_Magic in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 492
    Last Post: 21-11-2009, 01:00 PM
  4. Michael Hussey – Is his time up?
    By Jakester1288 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 222
    Last Post: 27-08-2009, 03:28 AM
  5. Michael Clarke possibly out of the 4th test?
    By Shri in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 02:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •