Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Warne is 6/1 for an Ashes comeback!

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Just put a cardboard cutout of him at first slip. His presence would probably be worth more than Doherty, catching would remain at the same standard.
    Sad, but so true.

vcs
    With Australia, everything could click into gear in the next Test and they could win it by a big margin, just like they did in Headingley in '09. They just don't seem to be able to replicate that consistently over the course of a series these days.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    With Australia, everything could click into gear in the next Test and they could win it by a big margin, just like they did in Headingley in '09. They just don't seem to be able to replicate that consistently over the course of a series these days.
    AWTA - but only if they recall Johnson. He is the only bowler they have i fear could do damage to us and that is because the guy is so unpredictable.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    AWTA - but only if they recall Johnson. He is the only bowler they have i fear could do damage to us and that is because the guy is so unpredictable.
    No he's ****.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

School Boy/Girl Captain Tom 1972's Avatar
    OMG. Could you imagine the crowd @ Boxing Day Test? Easily get a full capacity 100,000 people.

I'll wake up now.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    **** me dead, I've never understood this. Every time an Aussie spinner battles, these 'bring back Warne' cries grow, and it gets bloody tedious and predictable. The bloke's retired and not coming back; get over it and move on.
    In all fairness the great man himself could nip it in the bud by saying just that but he's failed to do so &, being the shrewd media manipulator he seems to be, must be aware this will only encourage a snowballing groundswell (mixed metaphors ftw) of support.

It might just be that he likes the spotlight (I doubt many would argue he doesn't) but I also suspect the idea of Shane Keith Warne riding to Australia's rescue in her darkest hour as her standard barer to boot appeals to his sportsman's ego more than slightly. Punter lies dead and vanquished, the flag passes to the once and always hammer of the poms.

Unlikely still but, to quote Warne himself, "never say never".
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Peculiar comment off Damien Martyn's twitter:

"Ch9 and Cricket Aust hold talks re Warne / well so I heard from a source !!"

I assume that's got to do with him having a commentary contract, so does that mean people have actually been discussing this as a real option?

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    This would be insanely amazing.

That said, from Australia's point of view, its not what they want.

They need a young unknown to come in and save the series, not a 41 year old.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    In all fairness the great man himself could nip it in the bud by saying just that but he's failed to do so &, being the shrewd media manipulator he seems to be, must be aware this will only encourage a snowballing groundswell (mixed metaphors ftw) of support.

It might just be that he likes the spotlight (I doubt many would argue he doesn't) but I also suspect the idea of Shane Keith Warne riding to Australia's rescue in her darkest hour as her standard barer to boot appeals to his sportsman's ego more than slightly. Punter lies dead and vanquished, the flag passes to the once and always hammer of the poms.

Unlikely still but, to quote Warne himself, "never say never".
    Warne, as he always has been, is a self indulgent ****. The fact that he has refused to put a complete line through it proves that he loves the sound of his name a little too much.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Warne, as he always has been, is a self indulgent ****. The fact that he has refused to put a complete line through it proves that he loves the sound of his name a little too much.
    This

All I could think when I saw the thread title was "I'm glad I didn't put money on that."
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I've just realised there is a precedent for this - in 1924, when he was 42, South Africa's leg spinning all rounder Aubrey Faulkner was recalled for a Test match three years after his last first class game

In an innings defeat he scored 25 and 12 and took 0-87 so not a conspicuous success

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?

Tim Watson board.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I've just realised there is a precedent for this - in 1924, when he was 42, South Africa's leg spinning all rounder Aubrey Faulkner was recalled for a Test match three years after his last first class game

In an innings defeat he scored 25 and 12 and took 0-87 so not a conspicuous success
    ha, bet he felt good in his retirement after that...

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    ha, bet he felt good in his retirement after that...
    I don't believe it was causally linked but he threw a seven a few years later

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information