• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
We have the chance, by batting on, to inflict pain as well as to win the game. That's what I'd like to do. If we win the match that way, the chances of winning the Ashes are increased. Particularly since this is their "Plan B" bowling attack. Where can they turn next? It would still gives us 5 sessions on a wearing pitch to win the match.

Personally I do think we should keep an eye on the weather forecast, though. If it's looking iffy then hit out and declare and give ourselves maximum time to win the match in the 3rd / 4th innings.

JBH001

International Regular
I'm in favour of an earlier declaration but only if England bat quickly today (after seeing off the new ball) and get a lead as close to 400 as possible with about 40 minutes of play left in the day (enough time for about 10 overs). I think that would be a great time to get a couple of early wickets against a tired team, and then come back the next day and still have a new ball to take advantage of whatever help there is in the conditions on the morning of the 4th day after which Swann can wheel away all day. (Moreover, as Woodster points out, the weather is something to keep an eye on as well in terms of an earlier declaration.)

The only caveat is if the wicket stays a road all the way through day 3 - in which case it's bat on and over to Swann for day 4 and day 5.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Going by past occurences i wouldn't be surprised if we declared before tea. Providing we haven't been bowled out, i think that would be a big mistake.

To have any chance of winning this game we really need to put Australia at least 350 behind possibly 400 and hope for scoreboard pressure. Don't think there is enough in the pitch to force a result otherwise.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wouldn't think about declaring until stumps tonight if I was England, tbh. Batting all day would give a lead of at least 350, and surely England would back themselves to bowl us out and chase down any small lead within 6 sessions.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I don't think I've ever been so despondent as a cricket fan since Trent Bridge 2005, day 2:

Eng 477
Aus 5-99

And even then they were a Test up.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't think about declaring until stumps tonight if I was England, tbh. Batting all day would give a lead of at least 350, and surely England would back themselves to bowl us out and chase down any small lead within 6 sessions.
We should have a lead that big by tea.

If KP gets going the scoring rate will be rapid and the likes of Bell,Prior,Swann and Broad can go in all guns blazing and score at a ridiculous rate anyway when they get to the crease.

If England aren't leading by 200 by lunch i'll be annoyed and once you are that far ahead 350 by tea is very possible with some positive batting.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Weather permitting, I'd be inclined to bat longer. Grind them down, break their spirit, and declare 30 minutes before lunch on Day 4. It's the way to win not only this game but also the Ashes.
Too negative. If England continue batting in the same vein, 650 is on the cards by the close of play tonight - that gives us a first innings lead of 400 and 2 full days to shoot the Australians out. With the potential for rain on days 4 and 5, wasting time by trying to exact some sort of revenge for Border's teams in 1989 and 1993 would be stupid IMO.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully Cook can carry on as per yesterday. I fear he might be a bit stiff-footed this morning

Woodster

International Captain
Was glad when Ponting called for a referral then, in real time he looked a long way outside the line. Wasteful.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
I think it's bull that Australia were allowed to refer that Pietersen call after the umpire had signalled byes tbh

King Pietersen

International Captain
Agreed, shouldn't be able to make a review after the umpire has signalled. Doesn't matter though, glad Ponting wasted one, never looked out.