• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finn

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Well firstly I disagree that what he's achieved so far is unrelated as proper Test match experience would not only put him in good stead but let us know more about his ability.

More to the point though - I wasn't whinging about the thread going off topic. That wasn't my point at all. My point was that defending criticism of him with "he knows that and he's young so he'll improve" is an irrelevant retort to the claims people are refuting - ie. that he's probably not good enough yet and could be a liability in the Ashes.
Agreed, Finn is a gamble, but so are his alternatives. As a player Finn seems stronger mentally than Tremlett, and technically more reliable than someone like Shazhad. Also, he's noticeably a different bowler than Broad and Anderson, which will likely help his cause.

If he sticks to the basics while being well managed by Strauss without wilting under pressure, I expect him to go ok in a supporting role. Australia's batting isn't what it was, as people keep going on about.

If I was an Australian batter, I'd see Anderson as a far more important target to attack. If you damage his confidence early, he'll likely fall to pieces, and he's more important to England's plans than Finn. Finn is a bowler you're better off neutralising rather than assaulting, since he has the 'you miss I hit mentality'.

That said, I agree that it seems strange not to blood Tremlett in at least one or two tour matches, just to get a better idea of where both men stand in Australian conditions.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but his First Class average doesn't look anything out of the ordinary.
His debut series against India was awesome though. He was so Clark-esque. He's had a lot of injury problems; the word is that his First Class bowling average is inflated by regularly playing half-fit.
Yeah, he entirely remodelled his action for the 2007 season, started coming off a shorter run-up, scared the **** out of the county circuit and made it into the England side. Very good bowler indeed when fit, which is pretty much never. It'll be really interesting to see how he's bowling now.

Faisal1985

The reason i would like to see him in the English bowling lineup is for his height and the likelihood of him getting that bounce along with Broad...

Themer

U19 Cricketer
I'd love to see an attack of Harmison, Broad, Tremlett and Finn on a really bouncy wicket. Carnage.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It'll be interesting to see how Finn survives on hard Australian grounds. He seems to take a lot of strain in delivery and keeps falling over. Balance is important for a bowler, and Finn's can only get better

Faisal1985

It'll be interesting to see how Finn survives on hard Australian grounds. He seems to take a lot of strain in delivery and keeps falling over. Balance is important for a bowler, and Finn's can only get better
But if you get some help from the pitch, as expected in Australia, he may not have to put in as much effort due to his height for the bounce.

Woodster

International Captain
Well firstly I disagree that what he's achieved so far is unrelated as proper Test match experience would not only put him in good stead but let us know more about his ability.

More to the point though - I wasn't whinging about the thread going off topic. That wasn't my point at all. My point was that defending criticism of him with "he knows that and he's young so he'll improve" is an irrelevant retort to the claims people are refuting - ie. that he's probably not good enough yet and could be a liability in the Ashes.
I agree that what he has shown so far is relevant to the upcoming Ashes, I wasn't being serious with my irrelevant comment, just being facetious.

To get back on track, I do think he's good enough right now to perform in the Ashes to a decent standard, and possibly have a telling impact on a Test or two. However, he is still conceding too many four-balls, which I believe he will rectify with hard work, improved concentration, and more experience. He will not become the finished article during this series, but it will be an important stage in his development, he can still be a factor with the skills he currently has.

Uppercut

For a back-of-a-length bowler like Finn, the definition of a "four ball" changes pretty dramatically between playing against Pakistan/Bangladesh and playing against Australia. If you think he bowled a few too many four-balls during the summer he'll probably go at about 10 an over in Australia

Woodster

International Captain
For a back-of-a-length bowler like Finn, the definition of a "four ball" changes pretty dramatically between playing against Pakistan/Bangladesh and playing against Australia. If you think he bowled a few too many four-balls during the summer he'll probably go at about 10 an over in Australia
I think Finn himself said on occasions he bowled too many boundary balls, even when he was taking wickets. He wasn't satisfied with a decent haul, he felt he could bowl better, more economically, and I like that about him, never satisfied and realises there is still much room for improvement.

Yes the Australian batsmen will give a smaller margin for error, in a way that may help Finn to focus and concentrate on every ball, knowing anything slightly off line/length will be punished. No doubt it'll be a test of his skills early in his career.

simmy

International Regular
Finn for me is perhaps a little overrated. He will hopefully prove me wrong of course but he needs either more pace or more sideways movement on the pitch. I fear him becoming a medium pace trundler during this series unless he gets some bounce. Perth is still bouncy right?

Xuhaib

International Coach
He is average atleast at his current level of development.

If Aus middle order get their forms back he will travel.

Burgey

Looking forward to watching him bowl tbh. it's always good to see some new talent emerge, and his height makes him somethign out of the ordinary. Only saw a smidgeon of him in the UK summer so it should be interesting.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Looking forward to watching him bowl tbh. it's always good to see some new talent emerge, and his height makes him somethign out of the ordinary. Only saw a smidgeon of him in the UK summer so it should be interesting.
Finn is a welcome addition of new talent, good point. If it weren't for him, Bollinger and now Doherty this series would be almost entirely a rematch of 2009. Though that has its own odd appeal too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Finn is a welcome addition of new talent, good point. If it weren't for him, Bollinger and now Doherty this series would be almost entirely a rematch of 2009. Though that has its own odd appeal too.
Trott only played the one game, too.

Spark

Global Moderator
Driveable is how I see him. An Aston Martin, if you will.

If he's not careful, Watson/Pupter will murder him.