• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Finn

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Well he's taken 30 odd Test wickets at a stupidly good average but he has essentially no meaningful Test experience at all. He's played four Tests against Bangladesh and four Tests against a hilariously bad Pakistan team who were regularly 30/4 by the time he came on. Extremely tall and relies on bounce without being particularly quick.

He's a promising young player but I think he'll struggle a bit TBH; I'd pick Tremlett ahead of him.
Are we talking about the Pakistan which actually had Aussies all out for 88? :ph34r:

On a serious note though....i think he would be a good prospect in Australia provided Jimmeh breaks down...

tooextracool

International Coach
Why does Tremlett have such a good reputation.. is it because Warne talks him up, or is he brilliant in First Class cricket?
For one thing, he has a better FC bowling average than all of the other England bowlers in the side. And also a better test match average than Anderson and Broad. Granted that might not mean much but considering hes been playing half injured for the most part it isnt that bad either.

Regarding Finn, the version that I saw over the summer wasn't quite ready for test match cricket. He is a good prospect, but the impression that I get is that he needs to get accustomed to his new action and is not quite close to the finished product yet.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Are we talking about the Pakistan which actually had Aussies all out for 88? :ph34r:

On a serious note though....i think he would be a good prospect in Australia provided Jimmeh breaks down...
Talking about Pakistan's batting, tbf.

As for Finn, his FC economy is slightly worrying (about 3.6) considering he's a supposedly consistent line and length bowler. Seemed a bit wayward in that first innings of the warm up game but its understandable at the beginning of a tour. Hope he's fine but happy with Tremors as a backup man.

Woodster

International Captain
Talking about Pakistan's batting, tbf.

As for Finn, his FC economy is slightly worrying (about 3.6) considering he's a supposedly consistent line and length bowler. Seemed a bit wayward in that first innings of the warm up game but its understandable at the beginning of a tour. Hope he's fine but happy with Tremors as a backup man.
He is probably not as consistently accurate as he would like to be, but I'm sure with more experience and understanding of his game, he will bring that economy down. He does bowl too many four-balls at the moment, he himself admits as much.

Broadsmile

Cricket Spectator
Long term planning for Finn was in evidence this Summer when he was hidden away for a monthlong "conditioning program" while Australia were in England. A similar program helped turn Broad from promise to reality last year.

He's good and going to get better.

I

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He is probably not as consistently accurate as he would like to be, but I'm sure with more experience and understanding of his game, he will bring that economy down. He does bowl too many four-balls at the moment, he himself admits as much.
While this is true, I think you (and a few others who have posted) have to keep in mind that this thread was started in the Ashes 2010/11 forum, and not in Cricket Chat. Whether or not Finn has long-term potential isn't tremendously relevant to this season's Ashes, unless you think he's going to find that accuracy over the next couple of weeks.

Finn's decently quick without being express, gets a lot of bounce without making complete use of height, doesn't move the ball much and isn't consistently accurate. His Test experience so far is worth pretty much zero given the circumstances of it. He's pretty impressive for a man of his age and he could go far, but as far as this season's Ashes goes, I think he could be a bit of a weak link.

tooextracool

International Coach
I wouldnt be surprised, its a bit odd for any international bowler to admit that he shouldn't really be playing test cricket yet.

Woodster

International Captain
While this is true, I think you (and a few others who have posted) have to keep in mind that this thread was started in the Ashes 2010/11 forum, and not in Cricket Chat. Whether or not Finn has long-term potential isn't tremendously relevant to this season's Ashes, unless you think he's going to find that accuracy over the next couple of weeks.

Finn's decently quick without being express, gets a lot of bounce without making complete use of height, doesn't move the ball much and isn't consistently accurate. His Test experience so far is worth pretty much zero given the circumstances of it. He's pretty impressive for a man of his age and he could go far, but as far as this season's Ashes goes, I think he could be a bit of a weak link.
While this is true, what he's achieved so far is unrelated to the Ashes 2010/11, so let's keep it in topic!:ph34r:

When a thread is simply about a particular player, surely you can appreciate it may at times veer slightly off course.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes the standard of batting in Div 2 this year has, on the whole, been absolutely woeful. I think they also used a different kind of ball (Tiflex or somesuch) which the bowlers found helpful.
What's the reason they use a different type of ball? Are they experimenting with a view to changing it at the top level, or is it a sponsorship thing?

Seems a little odd tbh.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
I thought that they used the Tiflex the year before? Could have sworn Monty said he hated it and his return to form was helped with them going back the the normal one. But then again my memory is shot at the moment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
While this is true, what he's achieved so far is unrelated to the Ashes 2010/11, so let's keep it in topic!:ph34r:

When a thread is simply about a particular player, surely you can appreciate it may at times veer slightly off course.
Well firstly I disagree that what he's achieved so far is unrelated as proper Test match experience would not only put him in good stead but let us know more about his ability.

More to the point though - I wasn't whinging about the thread going off topic. That wasn't my point at all. My point was that defending criticism of him with "he knows that and he's young so he'll improve" is an irrelevant retort to the claims people are refuting - ie. that he's probably not good enough yet and could be a liability in the Ashes.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought that they used the Tiflex the year before? Could have sworn Monty said he hated it and his return to form was helped with them going back the the normal one. But then again my memory is shot at the moment.
Has to be said it sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Dunno, could be, my memory is shot too.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not too sure. My memory is pretty poor also.