• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tour Matches

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Swann ran through the last three. Great work, and a big thing that separates him from Benn, Hauritz and Harris; because he gets the ball up and down quicker, and above their eyeline, he gives tailenders bigger issues.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's not that bad from the Redbacks, but they've been outclassed today. I don't know why everyone expected such a high-scoring game, it's not often a side bashes 350-odd in a three-day game.

chalky

International Debutant
Early days yet and important not to react to every ball or day's play, but England so far look like a solid, workmanlike team who whilst not storming the fortress this Summer, will press on steadily and put up a real fight. I am really looking forward to a hard fought series, perhaps lacking the real stars of contests past, but still absorbing nonetheless.
Think that sums up England quite well. For England to win they will look for the batsmen to stay in the test's and hope for the odd the session of brilliance from one of the bowlers to try and nick it. Basically what they did in South Africa and the last Ashes. Don't think the bowlers are good enough to steam roll Australia.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Think that sums up England quite well. For England to win they will look for the batsmen to stay in the test's and hope for the odd the session of brilliance from one of the bowlers to try and nick it. Basically what they did in South Africa and the last Ashes. Don't think the bowlers are good enough to steam roll Australia.
Basically this. England's victories in the last two years have all pretty much come through sudden ambush after having looked mediocre for several sessions - think The Oval and Durban 2009.

England are far from world-beaters but they're a solid, well-coached outfit, very good tactically and in the field, and will fight for this series harder than any other side I've seen.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, would agree with this too.Wouldn't be surprised at all if we see a similar series to the last Ashes. Hopefully, from my point of view, with the Aussies coming out on top this time. Would be surprised if either team does it easily.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good stuff today from the attack and a solid start to the 2nd innings.This must actually be quite depressing for the Aussie fans that England haven't been farcically bad in the warm up matches like on previous tours and are showing they are actually a good side who are up for the fight this time.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Exactly. This is the first time in years that England have looked so much as competitive down under. England have 50 up now, effectively 119/0. Strauss looking in really good touch, four 4s and a 6 for him so far, 33 from 43 balls.

social

Good stuff today from the attack and a solid start to the 2nd innings.This must actually be quite depressing for the Aussie fans that England haven't been farcically bad in the warm up matches like on previous tours and are showing they are actually a good side who are up for the fight this time.
Think you missed the part where the only 2 half-decent bowlers that Eng have faced so far (Magoffin and George) have wrecked the Eng top order in 1 innings of each match :laugh:

Jacknife

International Captain
Strauss is in one day mode again 50 off 55 balls with 3x6 and 5x4,good first wicket stand from the openers,153 lead so far.

Son Of Coco

This must actually be quite depressing for the Aussie fans that England haven't been farcically bad in the warm up matches like on previous tours and are showing they are actually a good side who are up for the fight this time.
:laugh:

Yes, I'm beside myself with despair. I don't think you'll find too many Aussie fans who thought we'd romp it in, or that England were a terrible side.

I'd say this is the exact reason England came here early this time, they'll be much better prepared for the first test.

Jacknife

International Captain
Good to see both openers see out he day, 94-0 on top of the 67 lead from the first innings, 161 run lead with 10 wickets in hand.This should enable them to go for the win tomorrow.Good to see Cook still in there on 37, I hope he can build on it and get some of that pressure off himself.

flibbertyjibber

Strauss going well again.Shame.

Good to see a decent opening partnership this time and Cook getting a few runs.All going swimmingly so far.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
For mine, doesn't really say that much about the English side, they're doing what you'd expect anyone of the top 6 teams to be doing against the state sides, and doing it in the modern English team's manner - blokes pitching in here and there, and in the end getting the job done.

What it says is that they're making sure that we don't get a charity game early in the series, which we can claim to have gotten against other teams in recent times due to a lack of preparation.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to see our solid opening partnership being solid. :) 50 more for Cook tomorrow, and 50 for Trott, and it's all good.

Ruckus

International Captain
For mine, doesn't really say that much about the English side, they're doing what you'd expect anyone of the top 6 teams to be doing against the state sides, and doing it in the modern English team's manner - blokes pitching in here and there, and in the end getting the job done.

What it says is that they're making sure that we don't get a charity game early in the series, which we can claim to have gotten against other teams in recent times due to a lack of preparation.
awta

morgieb

Still unconvinced about England. If they wanted to win the Ashes they should've done better than what they currently have against the 2 worst state teams.

flibbertyjibber

Still unconvinced about England. If they wanted to win the Ashes they should've done better than what they currently have against the 2 worst state teams.
So winning a 3 day game and having a 160 run lead after day 2 of the other is poor is it?

Not much you can do in 3 day other games other than what has been done by England due to lack of time.

Still whatever floats your boat.Can't say i've been impressed by much of the cricket Australia have played in the last year or so,struggling to beat sides and losing games when they have them in the bag.