• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

tooextracool

International Coach
An outside bet but Chris Tremlett could be a possibility. Has managed to actually play a few games this season with fairly good results.

Has the height of course and a decent amount of pace, if he manages to play until the end of the season I think he should be considered.
I really hope he goes to be honest. More likely to succeed than the likes of Finn IMO.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Question for the guys in Brisbane. What are the chances of the test being completely sold out before the day? I'm probably going to go on a road trip from Sydney to the Gabba and I was wondering if we should book our tickets beforehand or will there be a couple left over at the door
My tax payer's money at work..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I really hope he goes to be honest. More likely to succeed than the likes of Finn IMO.
Hmm. Not sure I agree. On the face of it they look very similar bowlers: tall, natural length is just short of a good length, good bounce and carry from a high arm action. Based on the evidence of this season Tremmers is maybe a couple of mph quicker, but I've only seem him bowl limited overs where I suppose there's less mileage in keeping anything in the tank for another long spell later in the day.

That aside the only difference I see is that one has an appalling injury record and one (mercifully) doesn't.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
All the current fast bowlers available to England will be fodder on a flat wicket in Australia unless they break through with the new ball.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Surely there's an issue if you're relying on someone outside of the current line-up to provide at threat with the old ball?

Think that Broad will be the one to play an important role with the older pill, banging it in on a better length though than the shorter stuff that he can be prone to.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, but thought that he was likely to be 12th man behind Finn anyway.
Yeah, almost certainly. Stood in whilst Broad was rested for the home Bangla series.

However, based on the limited evidence I've seen he looks the most skilled manipulator of the old ball we've had since Jones was in his pomp and, harsh as it may be, I still remain to be convinced about Anderson on a flat deck under the burning sun. Jimmy seems to be an insurance policy in case the ball swings, but one which I'm not sure we can afford in a four-man attack.

If Lords & The Oval play according to recent type it'll be very interesting to see if Jimmy backs up his form from the first two tests.

Spark

Global Moderator
Is there any realistic chance Anderson won't be the first-choice bowler come November? After all it's not like you're playing a whole lot of cricket between now and then.

Uppercut

Yeah, almost certainly. Stood in whilst Broad was rested for the home Bangla series.

However, based on the limited evidence I've seen he looks the most skilled manipulator of the old ball we've had since Jones was in his pomp and, harsh as it may be, I still remain to be convinced about Anderson on a flat deck under the burning sun. Jimmy seems to be an insurance policy in case the ball swings, but one which I'm not sure we can afford in a four-man attack.

If Lords & The Oval play according to recent type it'll be very interesting to see if Jimmy backs up his form from the first two tests.
Dropping Jimmy in Australia is absolute madness. The swinging ball is Australia's biggest weakness, and has caused significant collapses in each of the last three Aussie summers. Recent history shows your best chance of beating Australia is staying in the series as best you can and doing maximum damage when the ball does, occasionally, do something through the air. It's not as rare as some seem to think.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Much as I love Jimmy, he's no Steyn or Asif.

In any event, I'm not suggesting we drop Anderson, just that I reserve doubts about his potential effectiveness down under. Happy to be proved wrong, etc.

Top_Cat

Yeah agree with both UC and BB; Jimmy has to play and lead the attack, as he's the form bowler and won't likely be completely useless on Aussie decks. But there's plenty of room for doubt.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Much as I love Jimmy, he's no Steyn or Asif.

In any event, I'm not suggesting we drop Anderson, just that I reserve doubts about his potential effectiveness down under. Happy to be proved wrong, etc.
When he gets the conditions he's just as good, if not better, than them, IMO. And while people go round making their vampire jokes, he is a lot better in unfavourable conditions than he used to be, in terms of economy and bowling bad fourballs. But, he is yet to prove himself out of his comfort zone, unlike those two, and this will be easily the biggest test of his career.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm fairly certain that he'll get belted around happily by the more compulsive drivers in the team (so Watto, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Haddin) but like last time the hope will be that in between he'll bowl the magical spells which win matches and series.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When he gets the conditions he's just as good, if not better, than them, IMO. And while people go round making their vampire jokes, he is a lot better in unfavourable conditions than he used to be, in terms of economy and bowling bad fourballs. But, he is yet to prove himself out of his comfort zone, unlike those two, and this will be easily the biggest test of his career.
Wouldn't necessarily disagree with any of that; there quite probably is no finer exploiter of favourable conditions around in tests just now. However when the sun came out on Sunday during Haider's & Ajmal's partnership I did get a bit of a feeling of deja vous, tbh.

Not that he was alone in bowling pus to them tho, in his defence.