• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's the pace attack that scares me the most, tbh. Don't rate Bresnan, Finn's about 4 and looks a stress fracture waiting to happen, Jimmeh's neutered if it don't swing, Shahzad looks like he's been picked as much on what he can do with bat as with ball and Sid's permanently broken and keeps working out the combination to the larder.

Leaves Broad, pretty much. Lot of weight on those narrow shoulders.
Seems an apposite moment to bring this up again.

Can't be too long before we get the first call for Harmison of the spring, surely?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Runs and wickets this season - he's a different man now - which is just as well obviously
Needs to be more South African tho, surely? Should throw a "van" or a "den" into his name.

Actually, speaking of which, Dernbach's bagged a few this year, hasn't he? Surely only a matter of time...

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Needs to be more South African tho, surely? Should throw a "van" or a "den" into his name.

Actually, speaking of which, Dernbach's bagged a few this year, hasn't he? Surely only a matter of time...
Ryan ten Doeschate to be the new slighlty less pacy Flintoff.

Will be extra good because it would be a double steal, would be taking a South African player and a non test playing nation player at the same time.

At least Tim did not make runs today, my greatest fear is him at number 7 and the 5th bowler.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Just read through the thread. Time for my replies.

If England yet again revert to the six-batsmen-five-bowler theory someone needs to be shot. That doesn't, of course, mean such a thing is unduly unlikely.
I agree with your whole 7 bats you have faith in thing, except how's the 5th bowler gunna work? I see no problem with 5 bats, a keeper, Broad then Swann, then 3 genuine bowlers.

Very confident in Australian conditions. Reckon Bollinger will have a big summer.
I reckon Johnson will stand out.

Are Philip Jaques, Phillip Hughes and David Warner not enough to show that neither Watson nor Katich should come anywhere near opening the batting for NSW?
Warners not an opening bat, at least not in FC cricket anyway.

Do you honestly think that David Warner is a more viable opening batter in first class cricket compared with Shane Watson?

If NSW named a full strength side with Clarke, Watson and Katich in it, Jaques and Hughes is not a definite opening combination.

Also this just shows how versatile someone like Katich is,
If I was naming a full strength NSW side, I'd start off with Jaques and Hughes, then Katich and Watson, purely because Jaques and Hughes are openers, and Katich and Watson are far better middle order options.

FWIW I don't think Oz's batting is far superior to ours; better, yes, but not out of sight.

It's the pace attack that scares me the most, tbh. Don't rate Bresnan, Finn's about 4 and looks a stress fracture waiting to happen, Jimmeh's neutered if it don't swing, Shahzad looks like he's been picked as much on what he can do with bat as with ball and Sid's permanently broken and keeps working out the combination to the larder.

Leaves Broad, pretty much. Lot of weight on those narrow shoulders.
I agree. Talk of our batting being much better isn't right if you ask me, Hussey's questionable and our number 6 isn't locked in. England on the other hand have their top 7 pretty locked in, provided they keep their form and fitness.

What I think Australia is far superior in, is our bowling. Our pacers are so much > England's it isn't funny.

Expecting us to lose games through poor batting rather than poor bowling, as has been said.

I can't see England getting a win, but I do see a draw or two, particularly with Ponting probably being over cautious, so I'll say 4-0 to Australia.

Jakester1288

International Regular
He is probably the most attacking captain in terms of declarations, especially in the last 2 years.
Indeed. But in the first test it's pretty likely he wont want to risk losing when he could bat a bit longer and bat them out of the game, for example. I doubt he'll be taking too many risk with the chance of losing 3 Ashes on the line.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Seems an apposite moment to bring this up again.

Can't be too long before we get the first call for Harmison of the spring, surely?
Only played 3 Championship games and has 9 wickets @ 33.

He'd have to a) get fit and b) bowl well for calls for his inclusion to make any sense.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think Bresnan will make way for Broad later in the summer. Onions will have to try and displace Finn, I think.