• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I'm so tired....

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
On the topic of being a 'front runner fan', it doesn't bother me at all. After following Indian Cricket for 16 years, and seeing the same old crap year after year, it's becoming difficult to watch. In the days where professionalism, athleticism and discipline are paramount to being a top cricketing side, India doesn't display any of these attributes. It never has for the last 16 years, and dare I say it probably never will for the next 16 years.
See, that's just BS. They've performed poorly in one tournament. If Indian cricket has been so crap for the past 16 years, why didn't you comment earlier...say around WC2003? The problem I have is you, and many others, have waited until now to sink the boot in while claiming these problems have been ongoing for many years. Smacks of a kneejerk reaction and it's pretty poor imo.

Craig

World Traveller
Well, I'm used to it, tbph. Due to a variety of strange, not-completely-diagonsed reasons (the closest anyone has got is telling me I have "post acute love withdrawal" which doesn't even exist in anyone else, apparently..), I get very mimimal sleep anyway - usually about 4 hours. So I tend to sleep during the innings break, and miss the start of the second innings, but I tend to wake up fairly quickly into it - then I sleep again after it's over for an hour or so. So I haven't had any extreme tiredness problems.

Last night's break gave us all an opportunity to catch up on some sleep - but I still didn't.
Mat Mitchell >>>> you in terms of staying up.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Whatever man. I've gone through my 'hardcore' passionate Indian fan phase before lasting over a decade, where I would defend them even if they played like rubbish. Clearly if I stay up and watch World Cup games throughout my final year, my concentration levels will slip and my performance at university will suffer. You guys may be able to handle it, but I can't, that's just me and I've always been like that.

On the topic of being a 'front runner fan', it doesn't bother me at all. After following Indian Cricket for 16 years, and seeing the same old crap year after year, it's becoming difficult to watch. In the days where professionalism, athleticism and discipline are paramount to being a top cricketing side, India doesn't display any of these attributes. It never has for the last 16 years, and dare I say it probably never will for the next 16 years.

Along with the combination of other things being too important in life at the moment, I rather sleep than watch the games live. The time difference is too much. That being said, I still ensure that I catch the highlights on Fox Sports.

This is nothing really about Indian Cricket, my 'worthless team' comments were more indicative of me wanting to watch top class cricket games and sides like Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka rather than India, who have left me disillusioned and disappointed with their team.

:)
I'm not going to get into this too much further, because you're an old friend Sangrah (good to see you back on the boards mate, to go off topic a little) and I don't really like commenting on how well or not well someone supports a team, or who they should support etc., because at the end of the day its your decision. What I do want to make clear is not once have I had a pot shot at you not watching the cricket, as it is totally understandable if you can't go from 12-9am watching the WC, particularly in your final year of uni. I remember you telling me how busy your uni was getting and why you left CW, so having a go at you for not watching a game of limited overs cricket is the last thing I want to do.

It just irked me that you took a potshot at the Indian team as a reason why you didn't watch, and IMO you'd have to have expected a reaction from some Indian fans who follow their team, accept their flaws but still love them because they love the game, and grew up following them.

Without getting too preachy, I was brought up remembering Sachin Tendulkar and Kumble as a 10 year old, so obviously I've got emotional ties to the team. I was shattered when they lost their WC games, and it obviously pisses me off when I see them misfield balls or don't take the third run when say an Australian, Sri Lankan or South African would have. But that's cricket, and I'm not going to stop supporting my cricket team because they aren't as good as others. I'll make it known I'm frustrated, but will never boycott them.

Plus, the other major team sport I follow is AFL, and I'm a Richmond Tigers supporter there. Suffered plenty more hearbreak/frustration/pulling out hair as a result of them then the Indian team.

Last edited:

masterblaster

International Captain
I'm not going to get into this too much further, because you're an old friend Sangrah (good to see you back on the boards mate, to go off topic a little) and I don't really like commenting on how well or not well someone supports a team, or who they should support etc., because at the end of the day its your decision. What I do want to make clear is not once have I had a pot shot at you not watching the cricket, as it is totally understandable if you can't go from 12-9 watching the WC, particularly in your final year. I remember you telling me how busy your uni was getting and why you left CW, so having a go at you for not watching a game of limited overs cricket is the last thing I want to do.

It just irked me that you took a potshot at the Indian team as a reason why you didn't watch, and IMO you'd have to have expected a reaction from some Indian fans who follow their team, except their flaws but still love them because they love the game, and grew up following them.

Without getting too preachy, I was brought up remembering Sachin Tendulkar and Kumble as a 10 year old, so obviously I've got emotional ties to the team. I was shattered when they lose, and it obviously pisses me off when I see them misfield balls or don't take the third run when say an Australian, Sri Lankan or South African would have. But that's cricket, and I'm not going to stop supporting my cricket team because they aren't as good as others. I'll make it known I'm frustrated, but will never boycott them.

Plus, the other major team sport I follow is AFL, and I'm a Richmond Tigers supporter there. Suffered plenty more hearbreak/frustration/pulling out hair as a result of them then the Indian team.
Thanks mate, it good to be back here again even though it might be a little periodic. :)

Yeah that's no problem, I've been brought up on those days too. As far as Dasa has commented, I don't think personally my comments were a 'knee jerk' reaction.

Jono, you will recall I guess my disillusionment with this Indian side stemming from around the start of 2005. I never said I'm going to boycott the Indian side or anything, just that I didn't find missing Indian matches that big a deal (although I did manage to watch like 10 overs at the start of the game and catch the highlights the very next day).

So okay I admit, the 'worthless team' comment was a tad emotional and you could probably see my frustrations coming out of that statement. Offending fellow Indian's on this board wasn't really my intention. Indian cricket has a long and proud history, and I hope it has an optimistic, professional future.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Whatever man. I've gone through my 'hardcore' passionate Indian fan phase before lasting over a decade, where I would defend them even if they played like rubbish. Clearly if I stay up and watch World Cup games throughout my final year, my concentration levels will slip and my performance at university will suffer. You guys may be able to handle it, but I can't, that's just me and I've always been like that.

Along with the combination of other things being too important in life at the moment, I rather sleep than watch the games live. The time difference is too much. That being said, I still ensure that I catch the highlights on Fox Sports.

This is nothing really about Indian Cricket, my 'worthless team' comments were more indicative of me wanting to watch top class cricket games and sides like Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka rather than India, who have left me disillusioned and disappointed with their team.

:)
Considering the past six years have seen more highs for India than the fifteen years preceding it, I am not sure what you're on about TBH. We actually won Tests outside India, which is more than what you could say in the 90s.

masterblaster

International Captain
Considering the past six years have seen more highs for India than the fifteen years preceding it, I am not sure what you're on about TBH. We actually won Tests outside India, which is more than what you could say in the 90s.
But has the consistency ever been there? During those six years they still didn't manage to win one test series out of Asia did they? Just now they've won outside the West Indies. One test series win overseas since the 80's isn't very good.

Yes, they reached the finals of the 2003 World Cup on the back of some good performances by Sachin Tendulkar and yes that Natwest win of 2002 was fantastic. But these are sporadic, small glimmers of success.

What about the 12 odd finals that India lost in a row? Consistency has never been India's strong suite. That is really what irks me about them. Small glimmers of success aren't really good enough in professional sport to be honest.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
See, that's just BS. They've performed poorly in one tournament. If Indian cricket has been so crap for the past 16 years, why didn't you comment earlier...say around WC2003? The problem I have is you, and many others, have waited until now to sink the boot in while claiming these problems have been ongoing for many years. Smacks of a kneejerk reaction and it's pretty poor imo.
as far as one dayers go, has it just been one tournament? when was the last time they won a decent-sized tournament?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
as far as one dayers go, has it just been one tournament? when was the last time they won a decent-sized tournament?
Haha I'm not saying it's just the one tournament that they've been crap in. My point is that all the negativity has come out pretty much solely because of this World Cup and that doesn't seem right to me. If the problems are long term, find go ahead and criticise but don't turn up just because of this tournament. I really dislike the whole "OMG India sucks!!!" bandwagon, although that's a complaint about people other than masterblaster (after his clarification) and yourself.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
No matter how much India sinks, I will continue to support them and be optimistic about their chances. :D

Don't worry guys watch, we will see some critical changes in the years to come in Indian cricket, which will transform it for the better. We can expect some good performances from them in the near future. :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But has the consistency ever been there? During those six years they still didn't manage to win one test series out of Asia did they? Just now they've won outside the West Indies. One test series win overseas since the 80's isn't very good.
But thats still one more than the entire decade before. And they won in SA for the first time in the history, just a few months after the WI series win. And in 2004, they tied a series vs. Australia, and between that they won in Pakistan under Ganguly. India haven't been a terrible Test side since about 2001. They still have problems winning tests outside India, but you can't really expect it to go away over night (or even in a couple years). But if [arguably] the most successful six years of test cricket in probably three decades isn't good enough, nothing will be.

Yes, they reached the finals of the 2003 World Cup on the back of some good performances by Sachin Tendulkar and yes that Natwest win of 2002 was fantastic. But these are sporadic, small glimmers of success.

What about the 12 odd finals that India lost in a row? Consistency has never been India's strong suite. That is really what irks me about them. Small glimmers of success aren't really good enough in professional sport to be honest.
SHRUG, don't much care about ODI's tbh. And frankly, outside Australia and now SA, no other ODI side is really consistent, so not sure what you're trying to get at.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Haha I'm not saying it's just the one tournament that they've been crap in. My point is that all the negativity has come out pretty much solely because of this World Cup and that doesn't seem right to me. If the problems are long term, find go ahead and criticise but don't turn up just because of this tournament. I really dislike the whole "OMG India sucks!!!" bandwagon, although that's a complaint about people other than masterblaster (after his clarification) and yourself.
To an extent, you often hear during losses that its all about preparing the side for the WC and that, though..

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Brought pills today to help me stay awake during the serious stuff. Hope they don't screw me up too much.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Brought pills today to help me stay awake during the serious stuff. Hope they don't screw me up too much.
Didn't you read those comics at school where Mr. Egg gets his brains scrambled because he pops a few pills?????

Craig

World Traveller
Perhaps, but I don't stay awake on purpose. I know that if I don't sleep between 3 and 5 in the morning, I won't sleep at all.
Personally I don't know how you can get by on very few hours of sleep, I'm the exact opposite though, but if it works for you then, who am I to judge?

Sitting right here now, I feel like dozing off and it is only 7.40pm :mellow:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Personally I don't know how you can get by on very few hours of sleep, I'm the exact opposite though, but if it works for you then, who am I to judge?

Sitting right here now, I feel like dozing off and it is only 7.40pm :mellow:
I have a strange medical condition that results in several symptoms that no-one can diagnose properly. One such symptom is insomnia - comes in handy for the WC. :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
I get streamed stuff off the network from our Television in the common room :) Amazing times as well, from 3pm till 10pm, absolutely ideal..

The Ashes is good though, theres something nice about chatting with okes through the night while the cricket is on the radio, with the TV on silent..