• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Round of 16 matches

Spark

Global Moderator
The Mexico keeper has had a good tournament, but I think his ability is being overplayed. He's made a lot of important saves, no doubt, but there have been an element of good fortune about more than a few of them. That one just now for instance basically just hit him in the face.
I'm increasingly thinking of you as the "grumpy about keepers" poster

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm increasingly thinking of you as the "grumpy about keepers" poster
As well you should tbh. Just ask Pothas about my experience in the great art of goalkeeping.

Seriously though, whilst that Ochoa save just now was important, I don't think he could have got out of the way of the ball there if he tried.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Mexico keeper has had a good tournament, but I think his ability is being overplayed. He's made a lot of important saves, no doubt, but there have been an element of good fortune about more than a few of them. That one just now for instance basically just hit him in the face.
Maybe, but he has kept the ball out. Being out of contract he will get a lucrative deal soon after the world cup whether he deserves it or not.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Maybe, but he has kept the ball out. Being out of contract he will get a lucrative deal soon after the world cup whether he deserves it or not.
Yeah I'm not trying to downplay the importance of the save. But I think most of the keepers in the tournament would have done similarly there. Like I say, it would almost have been harder to get out of the way of the ball.

Could be a crucial save so far as the end result is concerned, but I think some people are using these sorts of things to make out this Ochoa bloke is better than he is.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As well you should tbh. Just ask Pothas about my experience in the great art of goalkeeping.

Seriously though, whilst that Ochoa save just now was important, I don't think he could have got out of the way of the ball there if he tried.
What did you think of Ospina yesterday? Thought in some was it was the most impressive of the tournament, did not have to make all that many stunning saves but he just looked very assured.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What did you think of Ospina yesterday? Thought in some was it was the most impressive of the tournament, did not have to make all that many stunning saves but he just looked very assured.
Yeah I agree. Seemed very composed and confidently dealt with all he had to.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another fine save* even though the flag was up.

Somewhat appropriately given their historic links, the Netherlands really is the South Africa of football WCs.

*not really, as it wasn't Gordon Banks 1970-like, according to Sledger.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Another fine save* even though the flag was up.

Somewhat appropriately given their historic links, the Netherlands really is the South Africa of football WCs.

*not really, as it wasn't Gordon Banks 1970-like, according to Sledger.
Haha, nah, that one was great tbf to him.

The bloke seems to have got the basics really well nailed down. His positioning is pretty sound, and the way he's able to stay on his feet also appears to be much better than the majority of keepers we've seen so far.

Last edited: