• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E - Netherlands, Denmark, Japan, Cameroon

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Argentina were just as frustrating to watch tbh. Sure Messi appeared every now and again and dribbled past a few, but there was still only one goal.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
World cup means a lot more, but, TBF, the standard of play has been a fair bit below Euro 08 so far. The Dutch didn't look a patch on the team they had back then.

Of the teams we've seen so far only Jerry looks a potential winner. Although Italy didn't ever really look potential winners last time and still managed it, so impressions can be misleading.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
AwtBrumbers tbh.

It's a professional game though, despite the rank amateur performance of our blokes. And this being the most important tourney there is, it's just all about the result surely?

The big teams surely would rather grind out a 1-0 win every match than lose 4-3? Just the reality of such a big sport I think.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And Euro 2000 >>>> any other finals tournament.

All the best teams playing great attacking football, packed full of a generation of wonderful players at their peaks.

R_D

International Debutant
World cup means a lot more, but, TBF, the standard of play has been a fair bit below Euro 08 so far. The Dutch didn't look a patch on the team they had back then.

Of the teams we've seen so far only Jerry looks a potential winner. Although Italy didn't ever really look potential winners last time and still managed it, so impressions can be misleading.
Agree on the standards but than if I worried about that ... I probably would only be watching champions league beyond group stages.

This world cup is not helped by the fact that alot star players from African teams have been injured just before the world cup.... Having them would only improve the standards..

Euros was won by Greece not so long ago......

Pothas

The World cup is just better because it is the World cup as far as I am concerned. Regardless of quality (there are arguments to be had both ways on that) the Euros will never be able to match it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why the Euros >>>>> World Cup for me, 2 utterly mediocre sides who have no right calling themselves one of the 32 best teams.
Quality of play, even if true (I have no basis to judge either way) is secondary tbh. Ideally you'd have both but it's the atmosphere and the excitement of teams facing each other from all over the world that means everything. If USA were invited to the European Cup for whatever reason, it wouldn't even make the tuesday night ESPN 2AM newsfeed here, and for good reason.

Uppercut

Italy were really good in their opening game against Ghana last time, I thought. That tournament kicked into action early with a purple patch of great long-range goals then petered out a bit in the knockout stages. Hoping this one does the opposite.

Uppercut

Quality of play, even if true (I have no basis to judge either way) is secondary tbh. Ideally you'd have both but it's the atmosphere and the excitement of teams facing each other from all over the world that means everything. If USA were invited to the European Cup for whatever reason, it wouldn't even make the tuesday night ESPN 2AM newsfeed here, and for good reason.
Nah, it doesn't really work like that. The European Championships are a huge deal. No World Cup, but a huge deal nevertheless.

Matteh

ESPN America shows a load of football, them and Fox have a channel that shows a ridiculous load. Think Setanta is still going in the US too.

Pothas

Italy were really good in their opening game against Ghana last time, I thought. That tournament kicked into action early with a purple patch of great long-range goals then petered out a bit in the knockout stages. Hoping this one does the opposite.
They were pretty poor against USA though I think.

France also started horribly last time round before coming good.

Agree about the last World cup, group stages were great, knockout games were not bad though, good world cup on the whole.

Still loving this one but has not got into full swing as yet, looking forward to tomorow though Portugal v Ivory Coast probably the biggest game so far and there is always something exciting about Brazil's first match. (even when they wind up dissapointing like last time round)

Burgey

Was Euro 96 the tournament where Gascoigne scored that great goal when he knocked the ball over the defender's head with his back to goal, turned and volleyed it in?

That was a crazy goal tbh.

Matteh

Was Euro 96 the tournament where Gascoigne scored that great goal when he knocked the ball over the defender's head with his back to goal, turned and volleyed it in?

That was a crazy goal tbh.
Yeah. Poborsky lob in that tournament just as good imo.

Burgey

Yeah. Poborsky lob in that tournament just as good imo.

Tbh Gazza kicking a ball which the press rolled to him over his house and into the river then giving the assembled throng the two fingered salute before picking up his groceries and going inside probably the picl of the bunch :ph34r:

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, it doesn't really work like that. The European Championships are a huge deal. No World Cup, but a huge deal nevertheless.
I never said they weren't. A regional tournament still doesn't capture anything like a world tournament, with very few exceptions.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He forgot Ukraine and Switzerland to be fair, one of the worst games I have ever seen and I have seen Brentford play on boxing day.
my god that was a shocker

nah fuller is right, i'm just up to no good