• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

12th Match - Afghanistan v Sri Lanka

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

viriya

International Captain
Umpires call is a good rule imo, but the margin for error is too large at the moment for sure.
Almost certainly not an addition from the people that developed the technology but umpires/cricket administration who have no understanding of how margin of error works.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm with you, but how do you we get something between "more than half the ball hitting" and merely "clipping the stump"?
We don't have to; clipping should be out.

(Or what Flem said. A quarter (or 33.71%.. or 23.834%) isn't really any more or less arbitrary than half).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SL fans rightly quivering at the prospect of my post-game posting in the unlikely event of an Afghan win.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
The absolute best way would be to have it based on the actual probability margin of error, based on both the point of impact and the "angle"/trajectory of impact, and then just have a threshold percentage above which you say you can overturn. But that's probably rather impractical.

I honestly don't mind the rule as current because it's at least very straightforward to apply. Like I've said many times, trying to impose ever finer levels of arbitrarily chosen detail on rarely works.
So because we can't make it perfect we should just leave it as it is? Nah.

Zinzan

I hear your point I just feel if we take on something like technology we need to embrace it fully,I am also a a Tennis fan and hawkeye has been used there, the reasons it's successful is because even if the ball just clips the line according to hawkeye it's in there is no umpires call, the players seem to universally respect it and know where they stand, the same can't beat said for DRS IMO
Yeah, but the obvious difference in Tennis and why it works well there is it's 'actual' as opposed to 'predictive' i.e. a pad blocking the path of the ball.

I suppose the other thing is giving the umpire such a margin with the current level of discretion kind of warrants the importance of their role, so it's a respect thing as much as anything else.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah IMO this would make LBW way, way too prevalent in the game
And then the Lord said that no changes in cricket should ever benefit the bowler.

Batsmen have been getting away with lbws since the dawn of time due to the limitations of the umpires. Now that they have less limitations, we're fiddling with the rules to make sure they keep getting away with it, all the while complaining about the balance between bat and ball being skewed towards the bat in other ways.

If we're going to umpire's call for just clipping then we should at least be consistent and have it when it's just missing as well.. but we don't. The whole thing is skewed towards maintaining the status quo of batsmen getting away with murder.

Last edited:

Burgey

We certainly shouldn't make it worse. 25% is just as arbitrary as 50%, but harder to distinguish.
Is this not a question of setting thresholds within the software program which does the computing? I'm no tech head* so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

*only time I will ever quote Tony Abbott

Spark

Global Moderator
Is this not a question of setting thresholds within the software program which does the computing? I'm no tech head* so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

*only time I will ever quote Tony Abbott
Yeah that's what I would move towards but it needs to be clearly shown what that threshold is, why it's been chosen, and give us some idea of the visual sense of where that threshold applies.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
We certainly shouldn't make it worse. 25% is just as arbitrary as 50%, but harder to distinguish.
How is reducing the margin making it worse though. The real margins of the equipment are probably very small, conditional, and will just confuse the **** out of everyone. Therefore, if we're going to use arbitrary margins they should be smaller than they are currently.