• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your most gloomiest/disappointing moments as a cricket fan

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure what you mean by this The worst scenario would have been if Taylor decided to quit international cricket, which would have been both disappointing & pathetic, but suggesting it could've destroyed NZ cricket is hyperbole tbh. Life always goes on.
No, the worst scenario would've been the team being rended in two, bitter and public infighting, a downward spiral in performances and an exodus of public support. It's important to remember that in 2012 the game was in very poor health, both in terms of the national teams performances and in terms of public interest in Cricket. That McCullum managed to forge a degree of team unity and turn things around was probably his crowning achievement as a captain.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, the worst scenario would've been the team being rended in two, bitter and public infighting, a downward spiral in performances and an exodus of public support. It's important to remember that in 2012 the game was in very poor health, both in terms of the national teams performances and in terms of public interest in Cricket. That McCullum managed to forge a degree of team unity and turn things around was probably his crowning achievement as a captain.
I really don't buy this, players will almost always cope with personality differences if it means getting on & representing their countries. It's happen for years across every international cricket side, and far worse than our situation was with that split you refer to in 2012.

In fact it's happened in many of the most successful winning teams in history. McCullum did a great job in bringing them together, but even had he not been so successful in that respect, it wouldn't have destroyed NZ cricket, it would have just taken longer for wounds from that debacle to
end.

Kirkut

International Regular
In fairness:

Not trying to take a jab at you, just don't want people thinking that there's a load of us who weren't upset by Hughes' death. I know I definitely was.

Yes, I was aware of possibility of Hughes incident to be brought up so I deliberately mentioned that to avoid making this thread depressing.

Kirkut

International Regular
Javed Miandad hitting the last ball from Chetan Sharma for a match winning six in Sharjah on April 18, 1986 to close the Australasia Cup Final
This was the beginning of India getting hammered by Pakistan in ODIs throughout 1990s, especially those Sharjah tournaments.

2004 Champions trophy,
2005 Intercontinental Cup final v. Ireland
2007 World T20 Cup,
2014? WCL Championship
I'm assuming you're a Pakistan fan, what do you think of 1999 World Cup final? That 1999 side possibly had the best ever bowling attack according to Imran Khan. Pakistan surely had chance even if they asked Australia to chase 220-230.

In May 2015, I had bought Ashes tickets for Test 3, Day 4 & Test 4, Day 4........ Basically planned the whole summer hldays around those Tests.
In hindsight, I'm pretty sure you've loved watching Broad taking that 8fer and Root playing an amazing knock in the same test.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
1) Not a game/series/result sorry, but the handling of the Shane Bond heading to the ICL by NZ Cricket was a real low for me. We missed out on a few of his best years playing for NZ, and I actually gave up on the sport for a few years after that.

2) 1992 World Cup semi and Crowe's hammy. The 2015 final was bad, but I'm almost happier about it because we got thumped. 1992 was a lot closer and could easily have gone the other way if we'd had Crowe out there.

3) Still the worst for me - Ian Robinson giving Steve Waugh and Jason Gillespie not out caught behind against Australia in Perth in 2001. Ended up three wickets away from a series win - it wouldn't have been a series win without a lot of luck about it, but what an achievement it would have been in Australia against that side.

Agent TBY

International Captain
I'll never forget those images of Clive Lloyd (match ref) on the ground at the end. Weirdest finish to a game I can remember.
What gets me to this day is the fact that Kolkata is by far the most cultured and knowledgeable sporting city in India. They love their cricket and football, and they know (and appreciate) good sport when they see it. A far cry from the likes of Ahmedabad (the infamous Ponting booing) or Mumbai and its abusive, homophobic, and racist cesspool (I absolutely adore the city and think there isn't another in this country that's even half as good, but fmd if the crowds at Wankhede aren't vile).

Eden Gardens, though... I've been to a bunch of matches there and seen the crowds be highly respectful and appreciative towards the craftsmanship they were witnessing. Amla, Kallis, Steyn, Sanga, Mahela, Misbah, Younis and many more were given the respect they deserved, and people just genuinely seemed to enjoy watching the sport, regardless of who was winning or losing.

And yet, they completely lost it on that one day in '96. Maybe the crowds I witnessed came about because of what went down in that SF or something, I don't know, but those events will forever be a black mark on the city's sporting history. And, given how rich its history is, that's a damn shame.

vcs

There were hand-made signs being held up by people in the stands saying "We are sorry, Congratulations Sri Lanka" minutes after all the unpleasant scenes happened. I distinctly remember seeing this on the TV. Terrible episode though.

Kirkut

International Regular
In all fairness to NZ fans, I believe they were unlucky to have not played any games in Australia except for finals in 2015 WC. Southee and Boult were definitely not expected to get the same late swing they got in NZ.

TheJediBrah

In all fairness to NZ fans, I believe they were unlucky to have not played any games in Australia except for finals in 2015 WC. Southee and Boult were definitely not expected to get the same late swing they got in NZ.
So they were unlucky because playing all their prelim games in NZ gave fans too high expectations?

Kirkut

International Regular
So they were unlucky because playing all their prelim games in NZ gave fans too high expectations?
Well, home advantage did play a big role in NZ's WC campaign but I believe that they deserved some time to adapt to Australian conditions to display their full potential. For ICC tournaments in Asia, a batsman or a bowler doesn't need to make big changes in their game as conditions are same in India, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka, same cannot be said for Australia and New Zealand.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Or lucky perhaps, if you believe playing in NZ conditions got us there. Which I do.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Mine would be games I watched at the ground :

- watching Jimmy Adams and Junior Murray bat NZ into the ground in 1995 I think it was. From a kiwi fan perspective the double collapses to Courtney Walsh later in the same match on a Basin road under blazing sunshine were equally bad, but seeing Walsh on a rampage was actually one of the more enjoyable things to see from a purely "I love cricket" perspective.

- among many "nearly there but never quite" moments at World Cups, getting blitzed by Saeed Anwar and W Wasti (I think) in the World Cup 1999 was the only one I saw in person and was no fun at all....

-Edgbaston 1999. NZ had a 100 run lead against a poor England side and in 90 minutes threw it all away to be 40-8 in the most brain-dead session of batting I've ever seen. Doull got them to 100, Allott got Stewart before stumps, and I almost had hope again coming into day 3... only to watch Alex Tudor smack 99* when the ball stopped swinging the following day. Happily this gloom didn't last too long as they won the series - though when they were 35-6 in the second innings at the Oval it felt like deja vu all over again.

indiaholic

International Captain
This was the beginning of India getting hammered by Pakistan in ODIs throughout 1990s, especially those Sharjah tournaments.

I'm assuming you're a Pakistan fan, what do you think of 1999 World Cup final? That 1999 side possibly had the best ever bowling attack according to Imran Khan. Pakistan surely had chance even if they asked Australia to chase 220-230.

In hindsight, I'm pretty sure you've loved watching Broad taking that 8fer and Root playing an amazing knock in the same test.
Think Andruid is a Kenya fan.

TheJediBrah

Well, home advantage did play a big role in NZ's WC campaign but I believe that they deserved some time to adapt to Australian conditions to display their full potential. For ICC tournaments in Asia, a batsman or a bowler doesn't need to make big changes in their game as conditions are same in India, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka, same cannot be said for Australia and New Zealand.
But then if they'd played in Australia they might not have even made the final

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Or lucky perhaps, if you believe playing in NZ conditions got us there. Which I do.
A sneaky pool game over in Australia, even against a team that you'd expect to beat, might have been nice. When was your previous ODI in Australia before that?

subshakerz

International Coach
For Pakistan:

- That 99 World Cup final was crushing. That Pakistan side was outrageously talented and under Wasim's captaincy things seemed to gel. But to produce such a spineless performance was horrible. I still remember Wasim getting Ponting's wicket and the Pakistan team reaction, I never saw such a deflated reaction after a wicket.

- West Indies beating Pakistan by one wicket in 2000, depriving Pakistan of their first series win there. The umpire let off at least two bat pads decision and a clear nick to let Jimmy Adam take WI over the line, left a bad taste in the mouth.

- Losing to India in Bangalore in 1996, was still new at cricket and was quite depressing.

ajdude

International Coach
gloomiest moment being at the game live would be Ponting's MCG 99 in 2008 vs South Africa

otherwise Cardiff 2009 and Trent Bridge 2013 stand out for me, being the first matches in those series, could've really set the tone. Alex Doolan's test career was also quite gloomy for me after I talked him up so much to family and friends