• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your highest score / best figures?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably because most of us are generally unathletic and bowling spin (especially finger spin) in amateur cricket is hax

You don't have to be the slightest bit skilled or good to take a 6-8fer bowling spin in amateur cricket in my experience, sometimes it just happens. I played a year for a club and the "club champion" that year took 35 wickets bowling off-spin and he was genuinely terrible. Not even a quarter as good as any of the seam bowlers in the side, just got given all the wickets.

Chubb

International Regular
Probably because most of us are generally unathletic and bowling spin (especially finger spin) in amateur cricket is hax

You don't have to be the slightest bit skilled or good to take a 6-8fer bowling spin in amateur cricket in my experience, sometimes it just happens. I played a year for a club and the "club champion" that year took 35 wickets bowling off-spin and he was genuinely terrible. Not even a quarter as good as any of the seam bowlers in the side, just got given all the wickets.
Certainly true in my case. My 4-13 came when we left the opposition 90 to win off 9 overs. 2 caught on the boundary, two bowled while slogging. They didn't get them.

Unfortunately after that game, along with a couple of games where I genuinely thought I bowled well, I figured I'd finally "cracked" bowling and would be an allrounder from then on. Turned up to the nets next season and immediately lost it again. Now I am technically a wicketkeeper.

Burgey

HS 138. Really pissed off I didn't make a double that day. Was first out at 1/240 in about the 37th over of a 70 over game. Only shot I premeditated all day.

It's so rare when you just get a perfect day and everything aligns - good form, flat deck, moderate attack, lightning outfield, not too hot. Never felt fatigued or anything other than perfectly switched on to the occasion. Reckon that happened maybe 20 times in 45 years' playing cricket.

Best bowling 8/13 with the new ball as a kid. Jagged 111* in the same game. Was the best A/R thing I ever did by miles. Bowling went miles backwards as I got older, to the point where me bowling in seniors became something of a joke.

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
My one and only hat trick took over 22 years. I had a dropped hat trick ball in my very first game and then waited over 20 years to achieve one (2 caught behind then an lbw with the first ball of my next over).

Best batting came when I was injured and unable to bowl. 60 (run out) including 3 sixes and 5 fours.

Best innings bowling (8 ball overs in number 1 side) 12.2-2-38-7 Earlier that year I took 6 for 1 in a 26 ball spell.

Best match bowling (again 8 ball overs) 21-7-37-10

Burgey

Six fer 1?!?!?!?!?!?! Shades of Curtley at the WACA. That's some spell of bowling.

Burgey

lol probably the same with me tbh. Bit rude when these ****s turned into 6'3" monsters who could hurl it down at proper pace and I was trundling in at 5'9" bowling he same "pace" I had at 13 or 14.

TheJediBrah

That's a common story in youth sports. Not just fast bowling or even cricket, I've known plenty of gun kid footy players that everyone thought would be drafted in a few years but they just didn't grow enough.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's a common story in youth sports. Not just fast bowling or even cricket, I've known plenty of gun kid footy players that everyone thought would be drafted in a few years but they just didn't grow enough.
Yeah my mate in high school was an absolute gun basketballer (and was like 5'7 in yr 7 when everyone else was way shorter) but turns out he just went through puberty way quicker than most as he only grew an inch or two after and by yr 12 that dream was dead

bagapath

International Captain
Highest score: 27 not out, sometime in the summer of 1988

Scored on what we called the "batting pitch" hidden among the thorny bushes behind the railway tracks. the small-thick thorns cut our forearms and calf muscles every time we chased the ball through them but we didn't care. neither did the pigs living inside the bushes. they would silently observe us from the shadows and would scatter away only when the ball actually hit them. the evening 545 pm train going from rameswaram to madras would cross the field from behind square leg to beyond long off before vanishing away, and blare the horn as a reminder for us to speed up the game and wrap it up by the time the temple loudspeaker started playing devotional songs at 6pm.

the solid clay on this abandoned land outside the village limits gave us a smooth, even and hard wicket to play on. the ball bounced and kicked up nicely allowing us to get most of the runs through cuts and pulls, more than drives - which we relied on while playing on dustier, spin friendly wickets on the dry river cutting across our village.

I was known to be a stroke-less batsman, and would usually nudge my way to a 8 or 10 before getting bowled to a straight delivery, adding precious little to our average team score of 80-100 in 20 over a side games. on this day, I had no control over my shaky defence. I just didn't know why. instead of presenting the full face of the bat trying get a touch of the ball each time it passed me, I was instinctively.swinging at all the deliveries. in my mind, I was mistiming the shots - but in reality I was probably timing them correctly for the first and only time in my life. I hit three boundaries; one through backward square leg and two over mid on. got a couple of 3s through cover and one straight drive got me 2 runs. the harder I hit the faster the bowlers tried; because they knew I was terrible batsman, and the faster they bowled the quicker the ball raced to the boundary.

I was invited to raise my bat for the quarter century when I hit my third boundary, just sailing over the mid on fielder who later became a traffic cop and was reprimanded for taking a bribe. knowing I may never get to any score above 10 again - and I haven't since then in the ensuing 33 years - I did acknowledge the generous applause from my team mates. it was the last over the innings. so, one more wild swing and a couple of runs on the leg side and our innings ended with me on 27 not out.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Highest score: 27 not out, sometime in the summer of 1988

Scored on what we called the "batting pitch" hidden among the thorny bushes behind the railway tracks. the small-thick thorns cut our forearms and calf muscles every time we chased the ball through them but we didn't care. neither did the pigs living inside the bushes. they would silently observe us from the shadows and would scatter away only when the ball actually hit them. the evening 545 pm train going from rameswaram to madras would cross the field from behind square leg to beyond long off before vanishing away, and blare the horn as a reminder for us to speed up the game and wrap it up by the time the temple loudspeaker started playing devotional songs at 6pm.

the solid clay on this abandoned land outside the village limits gave us a smooth, even and hard wicket to play on. the ball bounced and kicked up nicely allowing us to get most of the runs through cuts and pulls, more than drives - which we relied on while playing on dustier, spin friendly wickets on the dry river cutting across our village.

I was known to be a stroke-less batsman, and would usually nudge my way to a 8 or 10 before getting bowled to a straight delivery, adding precious little to our average team score of 80-100 in 20 over a side games. on this day, I had no control over my shaky defence. I just didn't know why. instead of presenting the full face of the bat trying get a touch of the ball each time it passed me, I was instinctively.swinging at all the deliveries. in my mind, I was mistiming the shots - but in reality I was probably timing them correctly for the first and only time in my life. I hit three boundaries; one through backward square leg and two over mid on. got a couple of 3s through cover and one straight drive got me 2 runs. the harder I hit the faster the bowlers tried; because they knew I was terrible batsman, and the faster they bowled the quicker the ball raced to the boundary.

I was invited to raise my bat for the quarter century when I hit my third boundary, just sailing over the mid on fielder who later became a traffic cop and was reprimanded for taking a bribe. knowing I may never get to any score above 10 again - and I haven't since then in the ensuing 33 years - I did acknowledge the generous applause from my team mates. it was the last over the innings. so, one more wild swing and a couple of runs on the leg side and our innings ended with me on 27 not out.
Haha, when we went to Rameshwaram, we actually stayed in an acquaintance's house which had the Indian Ocean for a backyard. You don't wanna hit too many beyond the boundary there, lol.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Best bowling was first ever senior game against adults, third grade, (school second xi age 14), 5-14 . Also top scored 21*.

Downhill from there... barely bowled again. HIghest score was in second grade, 89, given lbw to one that wouldn't have hit a second set of stumps. Highest in first grade was 49* when rain set in...

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GRADE: 127 not out. Carried my bat from opening
STATE: 83

Not a bowler but a Stumper... best i can recall is five dismissals in one innings
I'm going to be a little realistic and assume country doesn't mean a test... But did you play in the shield?

Aritro

International Regular
Best batting was 39 in under 12s when I was top age (nearly 12) and the opposition comprised several kids in single figures.

Best bowling was 6/9 when I was 17 in a 3rd XI game against an opposition missing half its regular players. They had one bloke filling in who reminded me in both age and appearance of the character Geriatrix from the Asterix comics. I accidentally yorked him and he obligingly played all around it.

That year I won the big trophy for the club's Best First Year Player award. The club's captain/coach scrounged around for some kind words to say about me at the presentation, judiciously avoiding mentioning the fact that I was the only first year player.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Best batting was 39 in under 12s when I was top age (nearly 12) and the opposition comprised several kids in single figures.

Best bowling was 6/9 when I was 17 in a 3rd XI game against an opposition missing half its regular players. They had one bloke filling in who reminded me in both age and appearance of the character Getafix from the Asterix comics. I accidentally yorked him and he obligingly played all around it.

That year I won the big trophy for the club's Best First Year Player award. The club's captain/coach scrounged around for some kind words to say about me at the presentation, judiciously avoiding mentioning the fact that I was the only first year player.
I wouldn't go into marketing if I were you

Aritro

International Regular
Haha. Some of you bignoting ****s need to admit the circumstances around your highest scores/best figures as well I reckon.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha. Some of you bignoting ****s need to admit the circumstances around your highest scores/best figures as well I reckon.
I admit to nothing and have nothing to admit. Over almost 30 years of cricket, admittedly at a Club level, I've had lows as well as highs. This thread was about the latter and cricket is a game that lends itself to the presentation of statistical facts.

Aritro

International Regular
I should add that my 6/9 turned into match figures of 8/14.

But you already know how **** the opposition were.

Meanwhile here's Line and Length with his 10/37. Wonder which select XI of local amputees was on the wrong end of that? ?