• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your 4 Semi-Finalists?

Which four sides will make the World Cup semi-finals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who do you think will make the semi-finals in this tournament?

I'm thinking Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and India. Sri Lanka probably the main outside bet.

_Ed_

Agree on Aus, SA and NZ (admittedly a touch of bias there). Had trouble picking the other one between India, Pakistan and SL. Went with Pakistan, as several of their players impressed me in our recent series with them. Not sure how they'll go in Australasian conditions, but the talent's there.

cnerd123

likes this
Aus SA NZ and Pak. Pak have at better pace attack than Ind/SL and are reasonable enough woth the bat.
Ind will be relying on Kohli; SL have a decent shot.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Who do you think will make the semi-finals in this tournament?

I'm thinking Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and India. Sri Lanka probably the main outside bet.
absolutely agree, spot on mate..i will go as far as Aus v NZ final with Aus winning

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Aus SA NZ and Pak. Pak have at better pace attack than Ind/SL and are reasonable enough woth the bat.
Ind will be relying on Kohli; SL have a decent shot.
Don't think Pakistan's batting gonna hold up in Aus/NZ IMO, don't really rate their bowling either tbh

Zinzan

Wouldn't surprise me if the subcontinent teams are completely shut out this time around;

Australia, South Africa, New Zealand & England for mine & rated in that order.

I include England on the back of the news of Morgan replacing Cook as skipper.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia, South Africa, Pakistan and India. South Africa and Australia to meet in the final. South Africa choke again and Australia win again in a thriller. Mitchell Johnson to hit the winning runs.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
India have no chance. Pakistan are significantly better. I can't think of any Indian bowlers either seamers or spinners who would concern me.

Brilliant batting mind you.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
India won the Champions Trophy with basically the same side they'll play this world cup. Conditions won't suit them as much as they did in Australia, but they've still got a good side. No chance of them getting to the semi's is straight up crazy talk.

cnerd123

likes this
If India win every toss I'd back them to win the cup. Kohli is incredible at runchases and he's got a decent lineup around him for support.

Pakistan's batting should do okay IMO. They have a lot of stodgers and dour batsmen; which didn't click in the UAE but should go well on the more bowler friendly tracks in Aus/NZ. And their bowling attack is good - Irfan and Riaz should like the pitches on offer, and Afridi is always a handful. And Ajmal might be back too.

Lanka have a decent side; Mahela/Sanga/Dlishan/Mathews make for a good batting order and they have enough in the bowling department to cause a few problems.

I'd say all three of them are in with a better shot than England tbh.

Niall

International Coach
India have no chance. Pakistan are significantly better. I can't think of any Indian bowlers either seamers or spinners who would concern me.

Shezhad could do well in Australia but he has never toured and at times has proven to get bogged down especially in a big run chase.

Hafeez has flopped outside the SC his whole career.

Younis Khan is without doubt the worst ODI batsman to ever play 100 ODIS.

Safaraz is only starting in ODI cricket, and has little experience outside the SC.

Haris is starting his career, he is gun, but has never played in Aus/NZ/SA/England.

Umar Akmal is going backwards and may not even start.

Misbah is solid but in a massive rut this year, he dropped himself against Australia. Its fine smacking around Mark Craig and SOK in the UAE, but lets see him do it in Australia in ODI cricket.

Afridi is hit and miss and that is been kind.

Only Irfan of the quicks would get into the India team, Riaz is a scatter gun, Gul is finished and Junaid is seriously injured and only plays against Sri Lanka these days.

If you were to combine the sides, only Shezhad, Irfan and Ajmal would be considered.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
AUS, NZ, SAF and SRL

India an outside chance if they win the toss on a flat one in the qf and Kohli goes beserk.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
India won the Champions Trophy with basically the same side they'll play this world cup. Conditions won't suit them as much as they did in Australia, but they've still got a good side. No chance of them getting to the semi's is straight up crazy talk.
I guess I discounted them due to their bilateral series against us recently on our home soil. You are right "no chance" is an exaggeration.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah, India didn't get close here in NZ (bar the game they tied obvs). They just flat out don't have the bowling attack to win over here. It'll come down to Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, the other team will just be a filler.

Salamuddin

International Debutant

You're kidding right. India are not ranked no. 2 on the ODI rankings for no reason. Their overseas record in ODIs is much better than it is tests. Under the captaincy of Dhoni or Kohli since 2007, they have won odi series/tournaments in all the major cricket playing countries of the world. Australia are probably the only other side to have done that.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, India didn't get close here in NZ (bar the game they tied obvs). They just flat out don't have the bowling attack to win over here. It'll come down to Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, the other team will just be a filler.
Don't need a bowling attack when you can chase down 350 against almost anyone without raising a sweat.

If India bat to their full ability, that alone will be enough to get them into the final 4 IMO.