• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
nah, **** it.. He will always be Younis Khan to me and the best Pak batsman I have seen in my time so far... At the international level, he for me is at a similar level to Sanga, Kallis etc. Maybe I rate the latter two higher than him but its the bracket I will put him in, just below the Sachin/Lara/Ponting league.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't answer why it changed mid-career though?
This is an educated guess:
-Native speakers please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this-

Mr Khan himself has said that he prefers Younus, and he has always spelled it as such,
As far as I can tell (I could be wrong here), there is no equivalent written letter to a short i (as in "bitter") in hindi/urdu, even though it is spoken in-between consonants. (there's a short i but it's pronounced more like a short ee, to my ear). That short i as in bitter is not so much thought of as a vowel.

Consider also that I, Y and EE are the same letter in the Arabic script. And in fact most short vowels are dispensed of.

I suspect Younus' objection is that when he sees Younis he thinks it means Youness/Younees, as in Loch Ness, or Younis like how a Spanish person would say it. But we in English would pronounce Younus and Younis exactly the same.

My guess is that Younis was initially translated in broadcast by a native English speaker who knows that Younis and Younus are pronounced the same in English (at least NZ English). And then Younus objected based on what he considers the pronunciation of Younis spelt like that to be.

smash84

The Tiger King
agree with a lot of what you have to say except that I, Y and EE are the same letter in the Arabic script (it is true but then there is something resembling the I sound which is called 'kasra' in Arabic and 'zer' in Urdu)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
agree with a lot of what you have to say except that I, Y and EE are the same letter in the Arabic script (it is true but then there is something resembling the I sound which is called 'kasra' in Arabic and 'zer' in Urdu)
True, I forgot to mention that.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My educated guess is that he prefers Younus because Younis rhymes with penis.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Now I wonder why Ponting is unquestioningly considered in the Lara Tendulkar category and ahead of Kallis Sanga, without any debate. Just another of those forum orthodoxies?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Now I wonder why Ponting is unquestioningly considered in the Lara Tendulkar category and ahead of Kallis Sanga, without any debate. Just another of those forum orthodoxies?
It's not unquestionably, but it is based around his peak which was quite exceptional

OverratedSanity

Yeah it's not unquestionablle at all. I'd rak them something like:

Tendulkar-Lara

Ponting-Sanga

Dravid-Kallis-Younis

Smith-Chanderpaul-Clarke-KP

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Tendulkar-Lara

Ponting-Sanga

Dravid-Kallis-Younis

Same, just Younis-Chanderpaul-Smith in the same bracket above Clarke-KP and below Dravid-Kallis

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
The only reason Ponting is rated below Tendulkar and Lara is because he made a lot of his runs post the retirement of few of the great bowlers and unlike the two he was a part of a great team and didn't have to carry it. Otherwise at his peak which was good bloody 6-7 years he was phenomenal and has countless big memorable knocks that pulled the team out of a potentially losing situation and turned the game around in a couple of sessions. Really enjoyable to watch as well.

akilana

International 12th Man
that is only in CW. get used to it ;)

Tbh i dont think there is much separating the likes of sachin, lara, kallis, ponting and sanga. Each of them has different postitives and negatives.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

The only reason Ponting is rated below Tendulkar and Lara is because he made a lot of his runs post the retirement of few of the great bowlers and unlike the two he was a part of a great team and didn't have to carry it. Otherwise at his peak which was good bloody 6-7 years he was phenomenal and has countless big memorable knocks that pulled the team out of a potentially losing situation and turned the game around in a couple of sessions. Really enjoyable to watch as well.
The fact that he never truly came out of his late career slump is definitely a big mark against him imo. Tendulkar and Lara each had those lengthy slumps in the middle of their careers as well, but managed to come out of it and had a second spell where they again became the best in the world. I'd have put Ponting up there if he'd managed a second wind like that in 2011 or so.

OverratedSanity

Younis isn't really any worse than Kallis and Dravid imo. His record isn't quite as impressive because he's played far fewer matches, but it's not significantly worse at all.

He's easily better than guys like Chanderpaul and Smith though imo.

vcs

Didn't he do well in that series in 2012 when we were hapless? I think a double-ton and a century. Trust India to do their best to get past-it players back into form.

OverratedSanity

Didn't he do well in that series in 2012 when we were hapless? I think a double-ton and a century. Trust India to do their best to get past-it players back into form.
Yeah he was great. But he never did what Lara did after his 98-2000 slump or what Tendulkar did after his 03-06 horrun run (ie) have another extended golden run.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Tendulkar-Lara

Ponting-Sanga

Dravid-Kallis-Younis

I'd go

Tendulkar Lara

Ponting Sanga Dravid Ten-Doeschate

Kallis Younis Chanderpaul

Smith Clarke KP
Mahela

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
The fact that he never truly came out of his late career slump is definitely a big mark against him imo. Tendulkar and Lara each had those lengthy slumps in the middle of their careers as well, but managed to come out of it and had a second spell where they again became the best in the world. I'd have put Ponting up there if he'd managed a second wind like that in 2011 or so.
Sure. But I believe that would be true for a lot of ATGs? How many of them finished on a high? Usually players don't come back to peak form once they have declined. The likes of Tendulkar are an anomaly.