• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, i was at the ground for that QF, and i tried my best to applaud as hard as i could, but yeah indian crowds are terrible in that they abuse foreign players as much as australian crowds do, in some cases far worse, like the symonds monkey chants in vadodara, which is my hometown. I was at the ground in that game and it was pretty much my most embarassing experience ever... i felt ashamed to be a barodian that day :(
but when an opposition player scores a hundred, very few actually applaud him, which isnt the case in most other countries. In australia, atleast when tendulkar, laxman, etc score hundreds, they get really warm ovations.

Indian and in general, asian crowds are generally less appreciative than others, i agree with that completely. Its sad because it wasnt always the case, the 1999 chennai test being the prime example... how good was that? :cool:
That was Chennai mate, and the southern Indian crowds are still gun in general. The Pakistan team would still get applauded there i think after such a match if there was one, but would not have then say in a Mumbai,. Delhi or a Ahmedabad. And i think it is the same in Pakistan too from region to region and there is where the animosity arises between the 2 countries moreso too but that is a different issue.

Northern crowds are generally most rowdy (ask IPL cheerleaders) , the western ones in Mumbai and Ahmedabad tend to be more patriotic and mixed(Ahmedabad more patriotic in that sense than Mumbai), while in Kolkatta they are more concerned about their regional identity, then game of cricket and then the Indian team. Southern ones have the most knowledgeable from the start, especially the test cricket crowds.

Another couple of points -

1)Like every other country the players who are liked get applauded here in India too, like Murali, Gilchrist or Lee for example. Murali in particular gets applauded even when he went to field at the boundary during IPL. Warne was a favortie in Jaipur too. Maybe the test crowds being less in numbers these days also reduces the applause levels as a result in particular on TV.

2)And there are rotten apples everywhere who boo and even abuse players. What happened with Ponting and particularly Symonds was bad but it isn't something that is restricted to India. As i said see Gavaskar, Monty Panesar,Kohli,Harbhajan or Murali in Australia. The disliked players for whatever reason, justified or not tend to be the target of this the most.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm fairly sure that applause isn't just restricted to players Australian "like" though, when they achieve a significant milestone.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I'm fairly sure that applause isn't just restricted to players Australian "like" though, when they achieve a significant milestone.
Yeah, but then i am sure the applause would be less for players that are hated/disliked. Gavaskar because of his antics for example wasn't applauded as much and also abused by some.

Similarly as the Video ankit posted above Ponting is being applauded by some, but not the whole ground together.

Edit - Btw, i agree that in tests in particular the Asian crowds in general are less appreciative of the game in general than some of the other countries. But that is because of lack of tradition in sports and certainly not fully black and white.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry, wrote a longer post but Chrome crashed...Burgey, how comes you don't rate Kallis as arguably top Test batsmen of our generation (not that I do, but a lot do)? Is it the record in England?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry, wrote a longer post but Chrome crashed...Burgey, how comes you don't rate Kallis as arguably top Test batsmen of our generation (not that I do, but a lot do)? Is it the record in England?
What? Because I've watched him bat mate. And he's not fit to carry Tendulkar, Ponting or Lara's jock straps as a batsman. I don't know how many times he's toured here or I've watched him play, I've never been worried he will take Australia apart or take a game from us like a Lara or Tendulkar, or even a Laxman, Dravid or Pietersen.

He's an abacus with legs. Most over rated batsman on this site by the length of the Flemington straight.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
All crowds do the booing. Australian crowd does it for right reasons, Indian crowd for the wrong reasons. That's what I am hearing here.

Burgey

All crowds do the booing. Australian crowd does it for right reasons, Indian crowd for the wrong reasons. That's what I am hearing here.
That's because you're not listening.

All crowds boo certain players because every pantomime needs a villain. What we are talking about is acknowledging the achievement of the villain when he reaches a milestone.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Really, ankit? Massive strawman.
So Kohli getting booed in Australia earlier this year, Dhoni getting booed in the Bell incident last year, and Ponting getting booed at the presentation ceremony of QF of WC are all same? Then what is the debate about.

As for applauding cricketer's performances, I don't see that such a huge issue. In a world cup QF, when stakes are so high, I will be so emotionally involved in it that I don't know if I will remember to take notice of a good performance by an opponent. I don't know why that is such a shame. Besides, Ponting did receive applause for his hundred in India.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
What? Because I've watched him bat mate. And he's not fit to carry Tendulkar, Ponting or Lara's jock straps as a batsman. I don't know how many times he's toured here or I've watched him play, I've never been worried he will take Australia apart or take a game from us like a Lara or Tendulkar, or even a Laxman, Dravid or Pietersen.

He's an abacus with legs. Most over rated batsman on this site by the length of the Flemington straight.
Fair. I did ask if it was the scoring rate in the post that crashed but couldn't be bothered to type it all out again. I didn't genuinely think the poor record in England is the only feasible reason.

Out of interest, did you consider that perhaps his defensive and uninspiring mode of batting can bore the opposition into submission in the same way that a Lara or Tendulkar could cause bowler's to raise their game? Not necessarily a view I hold, but one that has crossed my mind. Never have I felt more helpless as a fan than watching Cook and Trott plod along.

Burgey

English crowds seem to have a self-deprecating side to them. I remember in 93 (I think) in an Ashes year they were getting pumped and the crowd started up with

We've got the worst team
In the world
We've got the worst team
In the world

Gold.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
English crowds seem to have a self-deprecating side to them. I remember in 93 (I think) in an Ashes year they were getting pumped and the crowd started up with

We've got the worst team
In the world
We've got the worst team
In the world

Gold.
That is a general English thing. Contrasts most strikingly with the never ending pride of Americans.